SIGNED QB Johnny Stanton

Hmmmm.........it is like you had heard the winning thing in a previous conversation recently or something. The cat that said that obviously is a border line genius. However sociopath is probably more like it

Its almost as though really quality posters agree on a few things???? :)

AND I SAID NO JOURNEY PSYCH OUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fine then. To bad I hear your going out with tweek!!!!!!

Umm....That's fine if Armstrong is better. But, it'll be nice to have a really good backup while TA is here in case of injury, and also really great to have them a couple years apart so when TA graduates JS can fill in right away.

Actually they'll only be 1 year apart so hope JS is ok waiting until his his redshirt senior year if TA is the man and stays healthy.

Oh ya. That was me just hoping TA wouldnt RS so it would keep 2 years between them.

With injuries and transfers etc you must be three deep at qb with guys who can come in and win. Best guy gets the start but i think a two qb system can worj as long as one is the true starters and the other is an athelete you cant keep off the field. Xi see stanton as the qb and armstrong as the athelete but we wont know til they play. Both may play both may transfer...never can know for sure but we need solid qbs.

With injuries and transfers etc you must be three deep at qb with guys who can come in and win. Best guy gets the start but i think a two qb system can worj as long as one is the true starters and the other is an athelete you cant keep off the field. Xi see stanton as the qb and armstrong as the athelete but we wont know til they play. Both may play both may transfer...never can know for sure but we need solid qbs.

I'm not one to over hype players based on high school film and am in no way an NFL scout who can break down all aspects of a QB throwing the ball. With that said, it's pretty obvious Tommy is a superior passer over Stanton. You can see their film or look at the numbers:

Armstrong senior year: 58.6 completion %, 1965 yards, 29 TD's, 2 INT

Stanton junior year: 2435 yards, 13 TD's, 8 INT

Both played for the highest level high school competition in Texas and California. Stanton is probably a superior runner and questionably a better athlete.

I think both can be successful in their own way and it is good to have more than one solid QB. I just don't think Tommy is the Jamal Turner type of athlete some may think that you put on the field. He is essentially a QB only

I'm not one to over hype players based on high school film and am in no way an NFL scout who can break down all aspects of a QB throwing the ball. With that said, it's pretty obvious Tommy is a superior passer over Stanton. You can see their film or look at the numbers: Armstrong senior year: 58.6 completion %, 1965 yards, 29 TD's, 2 INT Stanton junior year: 2435 yards, 13 TD's, 8 INT Both played for the highest level high school competition in Texas and California. Stanton is probably a superior runner and questionably a better athlete. I think both can be successful in their own way and it is good to have more than one solid QB. I just don't think Tommy is the Jamal Turner type of athlete some may think that you put on the field. He is essentially a QB only

Tommy just has that IT factor to me. He isn't built like a rock, and doesn't run a 4.4 forty, but he has football skills and speed. Haven't been this excited about a QB recruit in a long time. He has a great deep ball and can make people miss. Can't wait to see what he can do for us.

I'm not one to over hype players based on high school film and am in no way an NFL scout who can break down all aspects of a QB throwing the ball. With that said, it's pretty obvious Tommy is a superior passer over Stanton. You can see their film or look at the numbers:

Armstrong senior year: 58.6 completion %, 1965 yards, 29 TD's, 2 INT

Stanton junior year: 2435 yards, 13 TD's, 8 INT

Both played for the highest level high school competition in Texas and California. Stanton is probably a superior runner and questionably a better athlete.

I think both can be successful in their own way and it is good to have more than one solid QB. I just don't think Tommy is the Jamal Turner type of athlete some may think that you put on the field. He is essentially a QB only

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, however it is difficult to make a comparison based on two different players, two different systems under two different coaches. Last year was Stantons first year to play Qb so he was still learning the position by the end of the season. Both seem to be great field generals and can move a team in their own way. I'm excited to see what they can do.

• 1 month later...

I'm drinking the Kool-aid on Stanton, despite the ACL. Trent Dilfer gave him his seal of approval at the Elite 11 and everyone described him as Tebow-like, which is good enough for me. He seems like he has a Rex Burkhead-vibe to him, and I could see him end up just as popular. Hopefully him and Armstrong can further take the sting off of losing Bubba Starling, though I don't think I'll ever not sigh and wonder what could have been with Bubba. I hope Johnny Stanton becomes Johnny Football 2.0.

I'm drinking the Kool-aid on Stanton, despite the ACL. Trent Dilfer gave him his seal of approval at the Elite 11 and everyone described him as Tebow-like, which is good enough for me. He seems like he has a Rex Burkhead-vibe to him, and I could see him end up just as popular. Hopefully him and Armstrong can further take the sting off of losing Bubba Starling, though I don't think I'll ever not sigh and wonder what could have been with Bubba. I hope Johnny Stanton becomes Johnny Football 2.0.

Lets let our latest great Husker QB (Martinez) finish up his eligibility before we start picking the next great one. Appreciate Martinez, QB's with his set of skills (speed) don't come around very often....

Lets let our latest great Husker QB (Martinez) finish up his eligibility before we start picking the next great one. Appreciate Martinez, QB's with his set of skills (speed) don't come around very often....

You can appreciate Taylor while still being excited about Stanton. They aren't mutually exclusive.

You can appreciate Taylor while still being excited about Stanton. They aren't mutually exclusive.

beat me to it. No way an indictment on TM. His skill set is a great fit as a quarterback for our offense and I'm glad he's a Cornhusker. I just peek ahead every so often and try to envision what the squad will look like down the road.

And rehashing my dreams of Bubba running wild on Tom Osborne field doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied with TM. I just think Bubba was such a rare football talent that selfishly, I wouldve rather watched him play football for another team than see him play baseball, because he looked like a future gridiron star (and I hate baseball). It's likely his football talents are permanently locked away, never to be seen again.

With this philosophy there would be no recruiting board until after the bowl game each year. We're all huge nerds, which is why talk about this stuff.

Yeah, after re-reading my posts, it wasn't really what I meant. I just feel that Martinez is greatly underappreciated, and we should appreciate his set of skills while he is here. The chances of our next QB being as productive isn't great....

The chances of our next QB being as productive isn't great....

I totally agree with this statement. It would appear that no future Qb will get 4 years to start, so the records Taylor set will be long lasting. I think Becks goals for the offense will change a bit after TM is gone. Fewer carries for whatever Qb runs the offense and more carries for a fleet set of running backs plus more receptions for a good group of sure handed receivers. The Qb will only run when something breaks down and the D starts focusing exclusively on the Rb's. This offense will surprize a lot of people in coming years.

I can guarantee you that the QB run game will continue to be a big part of this offense. Whether Stanton or Armstrong end up taking over for after Taylor graduates, they are both dual-threat QBs. Maybe they aren't as big of home run threats as Taylor, but I can see them being shiftier and make more things happen in the short run game. I just hope that whoever steps in will continue to be as durable as Taylor has been.

I can guarantee you that the QB run game will continue to be a big part of this offense. Whether Stanton or Armstrong end up taking over for after Taylor graduates, they are both dual-threat QBs. Maybe they aren't as big of home run threats as Taylor, but I can see them being shiftier and make more things happen in the short run game. I just hope that whoever steps in will continue to be as durable as Taylor has been.

I think it will end up being used more as a tool to overcome a deficient line (assuming we even have one in the future) or other areas of the game. I still see us going towards Kansas's 2007 offense more in terms of QB play. An efficient QB that is mobile but not depended on to be mobile (anti-Braxton). Someone that is still a pass first QB, but is capable of stretching a play out to give our more athletic receivers time to get open. Maybe 500 yards a season - 250 on broken pass plays, 250 on designed QB reads - versus our current 1000 yards per season, with 750 of those on designed QB reads. The threat will always be there, but our offense wont' be designed as much around it.

• Fire 1