SIGNED QB Johnny Stanton

I can guarantee you that the QB run game will continue to be a big part of this offense. Whether Stanton or Armstrong end up taking over for after Taylor graduates, they are both dual-threat QBs. Maybe they aren't as big of home run threats as Taylor, but I can see them being shiftier and make more things happen in the short run game. I just hope that whoever steps in will continue to be as durable as Taylor has been.

I think it will end up being used more as a tool to overcome a deficient line (assuming we even have one in the future) or other areas of the game. I still see us going towards Kansas's 2007 offense more in terms of QB play. An efficient QB that is mobile but not depended on to be mobile (anti-Braxton). Someone that is still a pass first QB, but is capable of stretching a play out to give our more athletic receivers time to get open. Maybe 500 yards a season - 250 on broken pass plays, 250 on designed QB reads - versus our current 1000 yards per season, with 750 of those on designed QB reads. The threat will always be there, but our offense wont' be designed as much around it.

You stated my thoughts much better than I did. Thanks!

I can guarantee you that the QB run game will continue to be a big part of this offense. Whether Stanton or Armstrong end up taking over for after Taylor graduates, they are both dual-threat QBs. Maybe they aren't as big of home run threats as Taylor, but I can see them being shiftier and make more things happen in the short run game. I just hope that whoever steps in will continue to be as durable as Taylor has been.

I think it will end up being used more as a tool to overcome a deficient line (assuming we even have one in the future) or other areas of the game. I still see us going towards Kansas's 2007 offense more in terms of QB play. An efficient QB that is mobile but not depended on to be mobile (anti-Braxton). Someone that is still a pass first QB, but is capable of stretching a play out to give our more athletic receivers time to get open. Maybe 500 yards a season - 250 on broken pass plays, 250 on designed QB reads - versus our current 1000 yards per season, with 750 of those on designed QB reads. The threat will always be there, but our offense wont' be designed as much around it.

I think you're right that it won't be designed as much around the QB run, but even this year it isn't as much as it has been the last couple of years with Taylor because he has improved his passing so much. I still think we will run the zone read about as much as we do now, and I could honestly see more triple option and pitch option find their way into the offense.

I think you're right that it won't be designed as much around the QB run, but even this year it isn't as much as it has been the last couple of years with Taylor because he has improved his passing so much. I still think we will run the zone read about as much as we do now, and I could honestly see more triple option and pitch option find their way into the offense.

I don't know what would make you think that, since we ran a good deal of triple/pitch option last year, and virtually none this year.

I don't know what would make you think that, since we ran a good deal of triple/pitch option last year, and virtually none this year.

Because Taylor isn't the best at running pitch option, and I guess I see Stanton and Armstrong being able to execute it much better since they are shiftier runners.

Tommy Frazier said it on his show many times last year that Taylor is not an option QB (meaning pitch option) and he was right. Hence, the move away from it this year.

Because Taylor isn't the best at running pitch option, and I guess I see Stanton and Armstrong being able to execute it much better since they are shiftier runners.

Tommy Frazier said it on his show many times last year that Taylor is not an option QB (meaning pitch option) and he was right. Hence, the move away from it this year.

yeah, it was pretty bad. he's a liability in the option - how many times have we seen him 3/4 of the way tackled before he finally flicks (notice i didn't use the word pitch) the ball. i think one of the only times he ran it this year (or maybe it wasn't even the play he just turned it into an option), was when he was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage getting tackled and ended up getting called for a forward pass.

yeah, it was pretty bad. he's a liability in the option - how many times have we seen him 3/4 of the way tackled before he finally flicks (notice i didn't use the word pitch) the ball. i think one of the only times he ran it this year (or maybe it wasn't even the play he just turned it into an option), was when he was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage getting tackled and ended up getting called for a forward pass.

I'd cringe every time we ran the option. Considering how loose Taylor is with the football, I always saw it as a disaster waiting to happen.

The reasons I see us moving away from the option even more than this year are:

1. It consumes a lot of practice time to make it effective. Why do it when it won't be a full time offense?

2. No matter how strong the Qb is, Being an option Qb inflicts a toll on the body. I don't think Beck wants that for his starter.

With multiple skill players on the field I think Pelini and Beck want to get the ball in their hands as much as possible without putting the Qb in jeopardy. Not saying the Qb will never run but I see it a way to get that first down when all other options are closed or there is a break down.

1. It consumes a lot of practice time to make it effective. Why do it when it won't be a full time offense?

2. No matter how strong the Qb is, Being an option Qb inflicts a toll on the body. I don't think Beck wants that for his starter.

With multiple skill players on the field I think Pelini and Beck want to get the ball in their hands as much as possible without putting the Qb in jeopardy. Not saying the Qb will never run but I see it a way to get that first down when all other options are closed or there is a break down.

Not disagreeing with your rationale, but the option has been a staple for Beck in his offense since he was a HS Coach. He has been quoted numerous times over the last 2 years that option is something he wants to be a part of the offense as it is key piece of what he likes to do.

Everyone points out what KU did when he was there, but he was the Passing Game coordinator and wasn't calling the plays nor did he have full control over their offensive concepts.

Not disagreeing with your rationale, but the option has been a staple for Beck in his offense since he was a HS Coach. He has been quoted numerous times over the last 2 years that option is something he wants to be a part of the offense as it is key piece of what he likes to do.

Everyone points out what KU did when he was there, but he was the Passing Game coordinator and wasn't calling the plays nor did he have full control over their offensive concepts.

doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the offense, or learn from Mangino and implement pieces of it here. Looking at our recruits the last couple of years - I find it hard to believe we won't be going that direction post-Taylor.

How about some jet sweep next year. I hear its quite difficult to defend! :P

Problem with that play is that it only works maybe one time per game then the defense figures it out.

oh really?...........really?

REALLY!!!!!!??????

I really hope that he was kidding around....

doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the offense, or learn from Mangino and implement pieces of it here. Looking at our recruits the last couple of years - I find it hard to believe we won't be going that direction post-Taylor.

Oh I agree in regards to how the passing game will continue to evolve, I just disagree that the option will disappear. Beck's approach to thereunder game is clearly different than what they did at KU, pretty sure the spread/power run game will stay especially since it is so effective.