Nebraska Football

I am a HUGE Husker fan like most on this board.....My August-January revolves around Husker football (mainly because my NFL Team (Cleveland) is dreadful).....Anyways, some people really need to get into baseball/soccer/hockey/basketball......way too much time on their hands.....Off season analysis is the most pointless thing in the world...everything could change by opening kickoff....it'll be alright...

Let me say.....I am a husker til I die. Because I know, I'm going to get blasted by posting this.

But if we don't get the obvious taken care of, it will be a long season.....

Offense

Burkhead is an outstanding back....no breakaway speed.

Our offensive line is average....at best. They are NOT physical. Which means burkhead is going to wear down.

Martinez....pretty obvious here. Great Athlete, but not a qb.

Defense

We better find some speed and I mean fast.

D-line: Steinkhuler has been a bust. All the hype around this guy and I see nothing but him standing straight up and not getting around people. Can we please stop losing containment and get some pressure on a QB. Meredith needs to be moved inside to tackle he is not a DE.

I see a 7 win season. I just can't see us making that much improvement over last year. South Carolina exposed our offense. We are too reliable on burkhead. Martinez can't throw a piece of paper in a trashcan. I do NOT like Big 10 football. I know folks think it is physical. Big friggin deal. Championships run through the SEC, wear speed kills. Period. We need to adopt that style.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the rest of your post, but I do agree with this. I don't really understand why NU has to change for the Big 10 by becoming more of a "power" team with bigger, slower players. Why can't NU be the extremely fast and aggressive team in the conference? Why can't NU continue to run the peso defense with a swarming attitude that teams dread playing because they can't keep up? Why can't other teams in the conference have to adapt to NU's style of play rather than the other way around?

I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as any of the coaches nor as knowledgeable as most of the people on this board, but this is the way I see it. When I heard that NU was switching to a more traditional 4-3 defense, I wondered what the purpose was. Is the Big 10 content on beating each other up every week with physical, slow football and then getting smoked in the bowls by teams from the "faster" conferences (I did no research on this to see how true it is, but this is usually the consensus)? I think Nebraska needs to continue to strive to be the fastest team in the conference, the most aggressive team in the conference, the most disciplined team in the conference. Make the rest of the conference realize that the Big 10 doesn't have to be labeled as slow and boring. There is enough speed in the country to go around, plus speed is something that can be somewhat developed with the proper strength and conditioning program (I do realize that a large part of speed is God given).

Stay fast and aggressive Nebraska. It is your key to success in my eyes.

It depends on what you Think we are Changing. The Offence? Nebraska isnt really changing anything they use their speed to beat teams, read the Sam Mckeweon article yesterday about the Ohio State game. Defense you bet we are changing the way we run things. The Big TEN plays a different Brand of Football and the Peso wont work against most teams. The smaller faster LBs get worn down against the bigger backs and Oline. Of course we saw a step back in the defense this year Pelini schemed, recruited, and implemented a Defense to stop the Spread Offence of the Big 12 and last season he had to make a 180 and scheme for a whole new style of play in the Big 10. I can guarantee you that the defense will be better this year because of that. You can almost think of it as running a new offence on defense.

In my view, as good as the Huskers were in the 90s, that's how as bad they've been now.

Did you just awake from a coma after Callahan's first season or what?

I tweaked a quote from a Family Guy scene that involved Tim McCarver talking about the Yankees. It really has no significance other than being a random quote.

Let me say.....I am a husker til I die. Because I know, I'm going to get blasted by posting this.

Offense

Our offensive line is average....at best. They are NOT physical. Which means burkhead is going to wear down.

Defense

D-line: Steinkhuler has been a bust. All the hype around this guy and I see nothing but him standing straight up and not getting around people. Can we please stop losing containment and get some pressure on a QB. Meredith needs to be moved inside to tackle he is not a DE.

I see a 7 win season. I just can't see us making that much improvement over last year. South Carolina exposed our offense. We are too reliable on burkhead. Martinez can't throw a piece of paper in a trashcan. I do NOT like Big 10 football. I know folks think it is physical. Big friggin deal. Championships run through the SEC, wear speed kills. Period. We need to adopt that style.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the rest of your post, but I do agree with this. I don't really understand why NU has to change for the Big 10 by becoming more of a "power" team with bigger, slower players. Why can't NU be the extremely fast and aggressive team in the conference? Why can't NU continue to run the peso defense with a swarming attitude that teams dread playing because they can't keep up? Why can't other teams in the conference have to adapt to NU's style of play rather than the other way around?

I don't claim to be as knowledgeable as any of the coaches nor as knowledgeable as most of the people on this board, but this is the way I see it. When I heard that NU was switching to a more traditional 4-3 defense, I wondered what the purpose was. Is the Big 10 content on beating each other up every week with physical, slow football and then getting smoked in the bowls by teams from the "faster" conferences (I did no research on this to see how true it is, but this is usually the consensus)? I think Nebraska needs to continue to strive to be the fastest team in the conference, the most aggressive team in the conference, the most disciplined team in the conference. Make the rest of the conference realize that the Big 10 doesn't have to be labeled as slow and boring. There is enough speed in the country to go around, plus speed is something that can be somewhat developed with the proper strength and conditioning program (I do realize that a large part of speed is God given).

Stay fast and aggressive Nebraska. It is your key to success in my eyes.

It depends on what you Think we are Changing. The Offence? Nebraska isnt really changing anything they use their speed to beat teams, read the Sam Mckeweon article yesterday about the Ohio State game. Defense you bet we are changing the way we run things. The Big TEN plays a different Brand of Football and the Peso wont work against most teams. The smaller faster LBs get worn down against the bigger backs and Oline. Of course we saw a step back in the defense this year Pelini schemed, recruited, and implemented a Defense to stop the Spread Offence of the Big 12 and last season he had to make a 180 and scheme for a whole new style of play in the Big 10. I can guarantee you that the defense will be better this year because of that. You can almost think of it as running a new offence on defense.

I'm not really referring to the offense as much as the defense. Is the Big 10's style of play different than the other BCS conferences? Yes, no doubt. Would good teams from the other conferences that are faster, more attacking and aggressive have success in the Big 10 for an entire year? I believe they would. I don't think NU came out of the Wisconsin or Michigan games in any worse physical condition than they would have after playing an Oklahoma , South Carolina or a Virginia Tech. Did Nebraska have more injuries this year because of the Big 10? Did they appear to be more worn down at the end of the year because of the Big 10? Not in the slightest. The only thing that hurt Nebraska was Nebraska.

Let me say.....I am a husker til I die. Good. Because I know, I'm going to get blasted by posting this. I believe that's called "trolling", the trick is to not let people in on the secret.

Offense (none taken)

Burkhead is an outstanding back....no breakaway speed. True.

Our offensive line is average....at best. Not really true, but a popular sentiment around these parts. They are NOT physical. True. Which means burkhead is going to wear down. Untrue.

Martinez.... (yes?) pretty obvious here. Go on. Great Athlete (true), but not a qb. Untrue.

Defense (should be the same color as da house?)

We better find some speed (untrue) and I mean fast. Oh, I automatically assumed you meant slow speed, fast speed is always good. I suppose this is true.

D-line: Steinkhuler has been a bust. Define "bust". All the hype around this guy and I see nothing but him standing straight up and not getting around people. You're not very perceptive then, unless this statement was hyperbole. Can we please stop losing containment and get some pressure on a QB. Is this a question? Meredith needs to be moved inside to tackle he is not a DE. Untrue.

I see a 7 win season. Explain. I just can't see us making that much improvement over last year. That's an extremely lazy explanation. South Carolina exposed our offense. Ehh not really. We are too reliable on burkhead. Yeah, but we knew that long before we played South Carolina. Martinez can't throw a piece of paper in a trashcan. Link or GTFO. I do NOT like Big 10 football. I do not like when people think it's a good idea to capitalize words they want to distinguish from other words. I know folks think it is physical. You're overflowing with knowledge. Big friggin deal. Yeah it really wasn't that impressive of a factoid. Championships run through the SEC, wear speed kills. This statement makes no sense. Period. Exclamation point! We need to adopt that style. Thanks for your input.

• Fire 4

Let me say.....I am a husker til I die. Good. Because I know, I'm going to get blasted by posting this. I believe that's called "trolling", the trick is to not let people in on the secret.

Offense (none taken)

Burkhead is an outstanding back....no breakaway speed. True.

Our offensive line is average....at best. Not really true, but a popular sentiment around these parts. They are NOT physical. True. Which means burkhead is going to wear down. Untrue.

Martinez.... (yes?) pretty obvious here. Go on. Great Athlete (true), but not a qb. Untrue.

Defense (should be the same color as da house?)

We better find some speed (untrue) and I mean fast. Oh, I automatically assumed you meant slow speed, fast speed is always good. I suppose this is true.

D-line: Steinkhuler has been a bust. Define "bust". All the hype around this guy and I see nothing but him standing straight up and not getting around people. You're not very perceptive then, unless this statement was hyperbole. Can we please stop losing containment and get some pressure on a QB. Is this a question? Meredith needs to be moved inside to tackle he is not a DE. Untrue.

I see a 7 win season. Explain. I just can't see us making that much improvement over last year. That's an extremely lazy explanation. South Carolina exposed our offense. Ehh not really. We are too reliable on burkhead. Yeah, but we knew that long before we played South Carolina. Martinez can't throw a piece of paper in a trashcan. Link or GTFO. I do NOT like Big 10 football. I do not like when people think it's a good idea to capitalize words they want to distinguish from other words. I know folks think it is physical. You're overflowing with knowledge. Big friggin deal. Yeah it really wasn't that impressive of a factoid. Championships run through the SEC, wear speed kills. This statement makes no sense. Period. Exclamation point! We need to adopt that style. Thanks for your input.

Impressive, I must say. Golf claps.

Offense

Defense

I see a 7 win season. I just can't see us making that much improvement over last year. South Carolina ex

posed our offense. We are too reliable on burkhead. Martinez can't throw a piece of paper in a trashcan. I do NOT like Big 10 football. I know folks think it is physical. Big friggin deal. Championships run through the SEC, wear speed kills. Period. We need to adopt that style.

The reason the SEC wins it all is the recruiting location the south.. Where it is just football no basketball. Also the SEC isn't just faster but stronger to..