Jeremiah Sirles moving to center

ADS

it's going to be tough to expect a lot from this O line, when the coaches aren't sure YET where to plug people in.......asking a guy to play a new position, without any reps even in spring practice is a stretch.....center is the anchor position as well. if they are considering Sirles, that sure doesn't do much for the confidence of the guy who was behind Caputo last season.

You're assuming Sirles will start. Why are you assuming that?

Think it's just kind of putting 2 and 2 together - he's guaranteed a lot of playing time at tackle if not starting. Why sacrifice that and move him to center if he isn't needed there as a starter?

read the thread he didnt move, they are just giving him some snaps

Sorry, just assumed that the thread title would, you know, be accurate.

it's going to be tough to expect a lot from this O line, when the coaches aren't sure YET where to plug people in.......asking a guy to play a new position, without any reps even in spring practice is a stretch.....center is the anchor position as well. if they are considering Sirles, that sure doesn't do much for the confidence of the guy who was behind Caputo last season.

Think it's just kind of putting 2 and 2 together - he's guaranteed a lot of playing time at tackle if not starting. Why sacrifice that and move him to center if he isn't needed there as a starter?

It's not really putting 2 and 2 together. Beck said Pensick is the leading candidate. He never said SIrles was moving to center. He said Sirles would get some reps there. It is an experiment. Sirles is likely one of our five best linemen, but we don't know if he can play center. He wants to give it a shot and they're feeling good about Qvale as tackle depth so they are going to see what happens. Maybe it works but the chances of him playing tackle in the opener are as good or better.

read the thread he didnt move, they are just giving him some snaps

Sorry, just assumed that the thread title would, you know, be accurate.

If that was always the case, TM would have quit the team, and Bo would be coaching at Miami.

:P

I would guess this is Sirles idea. He's probably bored. I say that because we never heard anything about this coming out of spring and coaches aren't allowed to observe during the summer and for them to all of a sudden suggest that Sirles take a few snaps seems a bit weird to me. Maybe this is emergency use only...

The coaches are obviously not afraid to try players in different positions for a variety of positions - possible need, buried at their current position, just in case, whatever. It is still a little surprising to me because I thought Sirles would have an excellent shot at a starting tackle spot but if we have other help there and aren't sure about Center, I'm all for trying to get the best five guys out there.

I think you want your tackles to be rangy and have wingspan. Interior line though, I know DTs benefit from being short and stout. I assume it's probably the same way for interior OL -- be strong, but not so tall that you're going to let people get under the pads all the time. That's a losing battle.

I'm sure Caputo rarely lost the pad level battle, but still got pushed around routinely. But you do have a good point with this post. I'm not sure if Sirles would be able to maintain a low enough pad level. He's listed as 6'6. Mike Pouncey and Peter Konz are a couple examples of pretty great Centers who're listed as 6'5. That's not much of a difference, really.

I'm very intrigued by this move. I'm not sure if it will work out, but I hope it does.

To be the Debbie Downer, this is what happens when we do not have anyone get any meaningful snaps in like 3 yrs. I had hoped that the staff would have realized that when Caputo was hurt and hobbled in 2010 and still started we had issues AND that he was actually going to graduate one day. seems to be poor planning on the staff's part IMO. I really hope that this is more of a statement of our O line depth than a testament to our inability to find a center. I also wonder if Sirles was so far down he was moved, if the case then why? Maybe the staff sees him as a "natural". If the kid can start at this level, I hope he is not lost in the shuffle.

That's a pretty late switch for such an important position. I think you guys know me as a predominantly positive type, but our line really concerns me. If da skers or anybody wants to assuage my fears, I'd be most grateful.

Really though, who do you guys feel good about? I like Long...he can play. Choi showed some meaness, which is an integral part of that position. I would love for Sirles to take this opportunity and show me up. Frankly, I've had high hopes for the kid, but it just hasn't happened yet. There may be some injury things I'm not privy to, but for whatever reason I had Qvale and Sirles penciled in as potential all conference guys. Really based on absolutely nothing but dim intuition and more pure hope, but so far, those guys haven't been the maulers I'd hoped they'd be.

Than again...this is a 4-year junior/senior position. A lot of these kids aren't even done growing until they hit 21 or even later, so to expect the biggest kids on the field to peak or hit upper echelon performance as a frosh or soph is kind of ridiculous. I just can't shake the feeling that our line is going to just be a little above average. We need more than that for the titles we want.

And, yet again, they were better last year, imho. I really thought they were noticeably improved. So why am I plagued by worries about the line? (Both lines, really.)

Long was the most consistent last year in my opinion. Rodriguez, Moore, and Choi all looked really good at times. Other times, not so much (the same can be said for Yoshi and Marcel, so I don't really see any drop off here). Sirles would add much needed size and playing experience to the center position. I'd feel much, much better about that spot if he can lock it up. Not sure what to expect from Pensick, every impression I get is he's basically a Caputo clone.

It's really hard to expect much more than what we saw last year. If Rodriguez, Moore, and Choi can be more consistent there should be improvement. The question is; are they getting the proper tutelage to maximize their talent? Not sure there's much of a reason to believe the answer is "yes".

To be the Debbie Downer, this is what happens when we do not have anyone get any meaningful snaps in like 3 yrs. I had hoped that the staff would have realized that when Caputo was hurt and hobbled in 2010 and still started we had issues AND that he was actually going to graduate one day. seems to be poor planning on the staff's part IMO. I really hope that this is more of a statement of our O line depth than a testament to our inability to find a center. I also wonder if Sirles was so far down he was moved, if the case then why? Maybe the staff sees him as a "natural". If the kid can start at this level, I hope he is not lost in the shuffle.

He wasnt moved. Hes taking a few reps. Maybe aspeed can change the title to "taking reps" so people stop complaining. Multiple people have said hes not moving, just taking reps. Amazing how one little quote from Beck giving an update on the off season can make people freak out. I wonder if its just NU fans that analize every little word that comes out of the coaches mouths, im sure it happens with all the teams thou.

If we have the first few guys go down at center this will look like a brilliant move, its called being prepared for anything. The same people that bitch about this would be the first guys crying that we didnt have anybody for the "just in case" senario. Who knows maybe he get some reps and they find out hes really good. Then they might move him.

Same things were said when Alex Henrey left, Maher did pretty well i think. Its going to happen at some position every year. Part of the game.

Nebula, i feel good about all the postitons except RT and C, where we have some good depth but nothing proven. I think we have a pretty good 2 deep accross the line. Weve been in the top nationally in the running game i think 15 or 19th last year, i think NU fans are a little harsh on the criticism

Long was the most consistent last year in my opinion. Rodriguez, Moore, and Choi all looked really good at times. Other times, not so much (the same can be said for Yoshi and Marcel, so I don't really see any drop off here). Sirles would add much needed size and playing experience to the center position. I'd feel much, much better about that spot if he can lock it up. Not sure what to expect from Pensick, every impression I get is he's basically a Caputo clone.

It's really hard to expect much more than what we saw last year. If Rodriguez, Moore, and Choi can be more consistent there should be improvement. The question is; are they getting the proper tutelage to maximize their talent? Not sure there's much of a reason to believe the answer is "yes".

Yeah, I see Rodriguez as a key too Dude. He's flashed, and then he's seen the bench. If he can play like I think we all believe he's capable of, it'll make a big difference. Same take on Pensick, too. I feel like I have less of an idea about how this line is going to play than I have in a number of years. I just don't know what to expect.

Fowler: Good point on the running stats. Hard to pick up yards on the ground if those guys aren't blocking up front. And by hard I mean impossible.

And, yet again, they were better last year, imho. I really thought they were noticeably improved. So why am I plagued by worries about the line? (Both lines, really.)

I agree with this. Our line took a big step forward last year. Naturally there should be some concern right now because we'll have a lot of newcomers. Caputo was a nasty dude with a mean streak and he fought like a warrior. If he wasn't a star he at least held that position down. And we'll break in two new starting tackles.

I'm not as worried about the D-Line as I am about the O-Line.

Im much more worried about our D line than our O line. Tyler Moore is gonna be something special we took big steps last year on our O line. our D-line needs to be able to create pressure when we rush only 4 unlike last year. Real hope we can land a big Juco DT in this recruiting class to help us out next year (toby johnson)