Band

The NU marching band is awesome! It culminates the gameday experience. I didn't really appreciate the band until I graduated from NU and attended a few pro games without a band. In fact, I used to goof on my buddies who were band geeks when I was at UNL. But it really does make a big difference.

I would like to know why they play the same thing when the Huskers get a first down as they do for the opposing team when they get a first down. That has always bothered me.

I like their pregame stuff and the atmosphere they give to the game, but I always felt halftime shows were pretty boring and geared towards the over 60 crowd.

I always figured we had one of the best bands around......and then we joined the B1G. Safe to say, general consensus among all other knowledgeable B1G fans is that our band is pretty lacking. I'm no band expert so I don't really know why, it's just what I hear.

In what way? Because we don't dot an "I"?

I love our band. Some years are better than others but they add a tremendous amount to the game day experience.

Band is meh, decent, okay. Here are a couple reasons:

They aren't very loud. I remember going to the BXII CCG and hearing OU and Texas's bands blow ours out of the water volume-wise.

The pregame show is amazing. Wouldn't change a thing. Absolutely classic stuff and gets everyone amped for the game to start.

The halftime shows....suck ass. Sorry, but they're boring and terrible and the themes are often either bland or bizarre.

Overall, they aren't spectacular, they aren't bad, but they're our band. I'd much rather hear them play than watch Verizon commercials on the Huskervision screen.

I always figured we had one of the best bands around......and then we joined the B1G. Safe to say, general consensus among all other knowledgeable B1G fans is that our band is pretty lacking. I'm no band expert so I don't really know why, it's just what I hear.

I heard a lot of this too, but I didn't pay much attention to it because I'm indifferent to the band(s) in general.

Gotta love the band. The pregame is awesome. Of course, when I attended UNL and went to every football game, we didn't have the tunnel walk or the I Siriius intro. All we had to start the blood flowing was the band (well that and some uhh beverages...). I still listen to the standard series of pregame songs everytime before I watch the Huskers play on TV (and they'll come up time to time when my iPod is in shuffle mode-I don't skip it). However, I could really care less about the halftime show but, as someone else pointed out, it's much better than being bombarded with commercials in the stadium.

Strange side note; watched the NU-UCLA volleyball match the other night on BTN. During one of the breaks the band was playing Glory of the Gridiron at a volleyball game. Seemed highly unusual to me. I can understand Hail Varsity and There is no place like Nebraska being universal to all NU events but the other std pregame fare is strictly a football thing in my mind.

I have been to over 170 games since 1971. I was fighting cancer in 1997, sitting in the South end zone for the Oklahoma game and could not stop crying when the band took the field and played "There is no place like Nebraska". I was pretty sure at that time, it would be my last game. I am such a sap...the waterworks start for me each and every game now. The band is about tradition, and is a must see each and every pre-game for me. I never played in the band, and can't carry a tune in a bucket; but I for one love everything that they do on game day.