McKewon: NU answers call to 'win out,' but No. 7 in streak was goal all along

Sparker

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet:

Husker coach Bo Pelini didn't even want to look at the Legends Division champions hat. And he may not reflect much on one of his finer coaching performances. He coached Friday like an NFL man who knew he had better players and figured it would bear out in four quarters. Which it did — once Pelini rolled the dice one last time and inserted Rex Burkhead, the lore-worthy running back.

http://www.neprepzone.com/article/20121125/HUSKERS/711259863

I like Sam's articles. This tidbit was interesting to me:

Best of all, third-down defense: Opponents converted 30.1 percent of their third downs in the six-game winning streak. Also of note: For the year, Nebraska faced more third downs than any other defense in the Big Ten. That's because the Huskers forced those third downs by making stops on first and second down.

Best of all, third-down defense: Opponents converted 30.1 percent of their third downs in the six-game winning streak. Also of note: For the year, Nebraska faced more third downs than any other defense in the Big Ten. That's because the Huskers forced those third downs by making stops on first and second down.

Uh OK, Kind of figured out that's how it was done. :lol:

GBR!!!

I think the streak will continue. One of the great things NU has going for it this year is endurance. In fact, most of our great games we played 'comeback kid' and won. (Not that I really want that to happen in Indy! lol) But in watching Penn State and Wiscy on Saturday, Wiscy tended to run out of gas by the 4th quarter. It should be a great game. Go Big Red!!!

Uh OK, Kind of figured out that's how it was done. :lol:

GBR!!!

Hahaha kinda reminded me of how John Madden would bring up his "facts".

But Martinez's fully realized mobility is the difference in this offense.

This. I love that McKewon outlines Taylor's decisiveness to scramble this season. Not talking about the long runs out of the zone read - talking about his ability to keep drives alive by scrambling when the throw isn't there.

On paper, we should shred Wisconsin the second time around. You're going to have an awesome game, Taylor!! Take charge run all over them!

I'm not concerned about the focus on this game. This is the 3rd champ game preparation these seniors have been a part of. What does concern me-and yes, this is getting way ahead of ourselves-is the focus of the team for a Rose Bowl matchup. It's no secret we havent handled success very well in the last 5 years, and with a conference championship under our belts, I can see us taking Rose Bowl prep very easy. I want to be wrong in hoping this is the team that sets the tone, but there is little evidence of the last 4 seasons to suggest so.

I'm concerned about focus for this game.

I'm concerned about focus for every game.

What's remarkable about this win streak is that we came out after the OSU blowout, a bye week and with the Husker season and Bo Pelini's job on the line and looked flustered, undisciplined and unmotivated for most of three quarters before a last second win against Northwestern.

Then having gotten that wake-up call, we continued to play unfocused, mistake and penalty-riddled games, surviving on the edge of constant disaster.

That the Huskers managed to pull it off shows character -- and it's been perversely fun, I gotta admit -- but even at 10 - 2 I can't say this is a good team yet. They shouldn't be worried about handling success. They still don't have a showcase win. They can't possibly be looking past an unranked Wisconsin team.

This is the efforts of a Senior Class that came up short in 2009 and 2010. No need to ask them what is their motivation. I am sure winning out didn't just mean the regular season.

Win the Big 10 Championshp, and win the Rose Bowl, in the end, Nebraska finishes strong and is probably sitting in the top 10 in the polls. Cornhuskers 2012 says a lot about the teams character. Sure the games were close, but 10-2 in the regular season, and a chance to go 12-2, that to me shows the Program has made leaps and bounds.

And, they are doing it the right way. As a team. Asking the best of each other, not letting up one play. They are buying into the system, believing in Bo Pelini and believing in themselves.

They, and we love the end result.