Coaching Changes?

Recruit corners to play safety, safeties to play LB, and LB's to play ends. Then go out and recruit any kid that is halfway athletic and close to 280-300. Problem solved. I love Compton, but god damn he is slow. Whaley looks lost out there all the time. Fisher is a tweener, and I hvae no idea what position he is made for.

Fisher should have been a TE. Too slow for OLB. Tom realized in the early 90s that speed over size was the answer. We looked soooooo slow Sat night. As others have said, rebuild the OL pipeline and develop the players once they get here. Barney has failed in this regard. Go after the best RBs in the country to go with our good receivers. Rebuild the D line - the anchor of the D. On O and on D - success starts with successful line play.

I'm not a fan of Barney's product on the field either, but he is a Husker and still needs to be given respect for that. If he's good off the field with boosters and that sort of things I have no problem giving him some role in the AD. Really, everything I've ever heard about him outside of his coaching are really good things. Good guy, relatable, etc.

this thread is still in conversation? I thought by now we'd all realize that no staff changes are being made and it would be absurd to think they actually would. C'mon guys.

Changes need to be made going into the offseason.

I would hope Bo isn't daft enough to think otherwise.

Changes yes. Staff changes, no. We just got done changing our staff. Bo and Barney are the ONLY 2 coaches on the entire staff that were here or doing the same job they were doing 2 years ago. This was also the first year for Papuchis as DC and Joseph and Kaz even being on the staff. I would like someone to riddle me how they think they are so smart as to be able to make any sort of accurate assessment within that time frame.

Coaching staff changes are not happening. Changes within operation need to happen I agree. You start heading back down that road of thinking you need to make coaching changes every frickin year, especially ofter 9-10 win seasons, regardless how they are achieved, and you quickly get to the point where no one wants anything to do with this program, if we're not already there.

We need to support what we have, because theyre gonna be here for another year regardless. The improvent the offense showed from year 1 to 2 should be enough to create necassary patience with Papuchis and the defensive staff.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Els is still here next year. His ability to develop linebackers is, well, questionable to put it nicely. And his special teams have been atrocious, to put it nicely.

I think our offensive line has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years, but it's still not anywhere close to where it needs to be. I'm not sold that Garrison is the guy. I get the impression people are infatuated with him simply because he's not Barney.

I'm also not sold Barney is as bad as people make him out to be. But like I said, the line isn't where it needs to be.

You're right about Pap and Kaz, they should get at least another year. Pap was far too inexperienced to be named Defensive Coordinator in the first place, but he is an asset in recruiting, so perhaps it was necessary to keep him around? I don't know, but the defense needs to improve dramatically next year for him to earn a little more rope. Fair or not.

I'm a fan of continuity, so I'd be ok with keeping the staff mostly together. Aside from Els, I'd be pretty disappointed if we can't find an upgrade there.

The Dude, that's pretty much my thoughts as well. I would love to find a new LB coach, and then get rid of Cotton and Garrison and find a better OL coach who can recruit like crazy and then develop them. That would also clear a spot on the coaching staff for another position. We could get Joe Ganz the job as QB coach, or hire a special teams coach who works exclusively with special teams.

Something needs to happen. Not anything too radical, but those two changes should be made, and in Cotton's case, it has been a long time coming.