Ridiculousness

Threads like these are a cop out. Nebraska fans love to claim that being a husker fan is ingrained into their identity. When things are going well. Now when things go shitshow south the kool-aid drinkers say it's just a game. Which is it? I'm upset, not surprised nor shocked. Anyone that's non-biased could see the glaring flaws in this team. But the kool-aid drinkers claim we'd win the big 12. Right.

We were a top 20 ranked defense going into this game. Maybe our defensive ranking is a reflection of the terrible offenses we see in the little 10. Take a step back and see the big picture. Our offense isn't nearly as good as people want to believe. We are sub-par on both lines. You can't win titles with sub-par line play.

It works like this. If you're a real fan, you root for your team through thick and thin. When times are great, you're a Husker fan. When times suck, you're a Husker fan. You don't jump on some other team's bandwagon. That said, there are things more important than football, like family and friends. In another thread, a gentleman talked about having attended the funeral of someone close to him. That's more important. From that perspective, you say it's just a game. When you're watching and passionately rooting, it doesn't feel like just a game.

Why is this constantly brought up after losses. People complain when they see problems. It's ok to discuss glaring problems. It's a message board. "Real fans" can complain about problems.

I was pretty mad during the first half.. then i just kind of accepted the fact that it is what it is. No need becoming depressed over a game. With that, I am a Bo supporter and I'll continue to be all the way to next season. I'm not going go throwing out the notion we need to fire our Head Coach who won 10 games this season. I, we all do, expect Bo to fix this problem and make changes where they're needed. But the point of this thread is right. Lets not go over the deep end and start blazing away firing coaches and demanding change right now. We took a step back, now lets make sure we take a couple steps forward next game.

Look at Kansas State. #1 team in the country. Lost to a 7-5 Baylor. 52 -24 and Bill Snyder may be coach of the year.

• Fire 1

I was pretty mad during the first half.. then i just kind of accepted the fact that it is what it is. No need becoming depressed over a game. With that, I am a Bo supporter and I'll continue to be all the way to next season. I'm not going go throwing out the notion we need to fire our Head Coach who won 10 games this season. I, we all do, expect Bo to fix this problem and make changes where they're needed. But the point of this thread is right. Lets not go over the deep end and start blazing away firing coaches and demanding change right now. We took a step back, now lets make sure we take a couple steps forward next game.

Look at Kansas State. #1 team in the country. Lost to a 7-5 Baylor. 52 -24 and Bill Snyder may be coach of the year.

But Husker fans are entitled to better results and deserve better. :sarcasm

And it wasn't even that close if you watched the game.

And it wasn't even that close if you watched the game.

I did watch it. When I was watching Nebraska last night, the KSU game is exactly what went through my head.

I can appreciate the vernacular of threads like this......but seriously....enough.

Yes, it is a game. Just a game. All of us, even the most boring, benign members of this board, have much more consequential things happening in our lives and in the lives of those around us. There are posters on this board, and many others on many different team-affiliated sites, that are over-reactionary and venomous in their responses after a game like this.

However, the same things we do when we are upset with this team, are just as ridiculous as what we do when we are enamored with them. There are wars, poverty, starvation, depressions, etc happening in many corners of the world, and yet we organize parties, scream and cheer for twenty-something kids who don't even know who they are in this world....and why? Because they wear our colors and throw, catch, and run with a ball. The same ugly vitriol that shows up after a game like this is born out of the very same rabidness that allows for this program to have with it one of the most loyal and dedicated fanbases in the nation.

Yes, it is a game. And those of us that are worth talking to are well aware of that. We don't live our lives in this forum. We come here to be fans, if only for a few minutes a couple times a month. It doesn't define all of who we are.

If you are breaking inanimate (hopefully) objects in a fit of rage because of the game, I would advise you to get off this board and seek some sort of treatment that will allow you to manage your anger. And as long as we're creating a multitude of threads to remind ourselves of just how insignificant a game is, let's sticky one of them, and promise to post in it after every game....win or lose.

I can appreciate the vernacular of threads like this......but seriously....enough.

Yes, it is a game. Just a game. All of us, even the most boring, benign members of this board, have much more consequential things happening in our lives and in the lives of those around us. There are posters on this board, and many others on many different team-affiliated sites, that are over-reactionary and venomous in their responses after a game like this.

However, the same things we do when we are upset with this team, are just as ridiculous as what we do when we are enamored with them. There are wars, poverty, starvation, depressions, etc happening in many corners of the world, and yet we organize parties, scream and cheer for twenty-something kids who don't even know who they are in this world....and why? Because they wear our colors and throw, catch, and run with a ball. The same ugly vitriol that shows up after a game like this is born out of the very same rabidness that allows for this program to have with it one of the most loyal and dedicated fanbases in the nation.

Yes, it is a game. And those of us that are worth talking to are well aware of that. We don't live our lives in this forum. We come here to be fans, if only for a few minutes a couple times a month. It doesn't define all of who we are.

If you are breaking inanimate (hopefully) objects in a fit of rage because of the game, I would advise you to get off this board and seek some sort of treatment that will allow you to manage your anger. And as long as we're creating a multitude of threads to remind ourselves of just how insignificant a game is, let's sticky one of them, and promise to post in it after every game....win or lose.

Actually, sports fanaticism is quite mentally healthy.

It's simply a confirmation of the idea of group identity. You identify with a group, you become attached to them, ergo, you participate, mentally, in those games. You experience the same highs and lows they do because you feel like you are one of them.

Anger over losses is the way in which we get excited for future victories. We condition ourselves to the losses, expect them, so that when the win happens, we are happy not just for the victory, but for the surprise of it.

the ridiculousness of this was that it didn't stop...

I'm not sure how many in game adjustments were made, but last night, our coaching staff, was flat out, overmatched from the coaching perspective. The fact that there wasn't any, any answer to what Wisky was doing, is utterly, and completely disheartening. A team that less than two months ago, we came from behind to beat, looked like an unstoppable juggernaut. That watching our guys walk into the locker room at half, looking like their hearts had been ripped out.

I have no idea what can be done to fix this. I feel bad for guys like Rex, who'd been waiting all year for this.

Now, looking forward, we get Georgia. watching them in the loss yesterday to Alabama, they'd have probably beat us with the effort they had yesterday. Their two freshman have combined for almost 2000 yards and their QB might be one of the best to play in the SEC possibly since Peyton Manning. Any hope we have going into the bowl game is scant at best.

That ridiculous...

Given the state of college football with the BCS, realignment, and the obscene amount of money being thrown around, I can't get angry because it all feels like a joke.

Maybe it would be easier to take for some people if we were not losing in such spectacular fashion, and if our coach had at least a sliver of likability.

We shouldn't get too wrapped up in the success of this team. Winning or losing is really only important to the players. If they pull together, play well as a team and have a lot of success then they will always be revered by Husker fans. If they lose in record blowouts then they are just someone that played college football.

Given the state of college football with the BCS, realignment, and the obscene amount of money being thrown around, I can't get angry because it all feels like a joke.

Full disclosure - I am speaking as a Badger fan.

The big changes were lower scholarship limits and cable TV. When I started paying attention to College football, it was all Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State, Alabama, USC, etc. The best teams always got the best players, and always seemed to be on TV. I grew up in Wisconsin and never saw the Badgers on live TV until I was out of college. (Yes, I am old) Now, everyone gets all their games on TV, and Notre Dame can't stockpile 5 QBs on their bench.

I see the same sort of frustration in Penn State fans. Nebraska also had a lot of success before those changes, and even afterwards. You both still get more respect from the B1G than we do - we have 6 teams in adjoining states, and soon will not be in the same division as any of them. Now it looks like we get our natural rivals Rutgers and Maryland too. Yay,

Your path back to the very top of the mountain is going to be more difficult, and if you get there, it will be for a shorter period of time. Enjoy the fact that you have already been there, and may get back before we get there once.