DE Antoine Miles [Purdue Commit]

jsneb83

Jesus, why are we competing with Cincinnati for recruits. I think I stated somewhere on the husker football board, that I don't care about stars or ranking. The most telling is offer list. It's why I'm excited about Courtney Love and Vincent Valentine (take a look at VV's offer list and that will have you thinking we landed a damn 5-star). This Antoine kid's offer list is nothing to write home about, and further his film is unimpressive. I see him making about as much impact as Josh Williams. Obviously I'd be happy to be wrong and have this kid make me eat my words but odds are he won't.

Way to welcome a new recruit. :hmmph

Haha wow I highly doubt he reads huskerboard and if he does, he is most welcome to make me eat my words. I don't think I'm obligated to say that he's going to be Reggie White 2.0. I'm not unrealistic and saying that literally every kid we pick up has to be a four or five star but I am saying is that I'm not going to be delusional every time we pick up a recruit and say he will be the next great [insert position here] at NU. I used to do that early in my husker watching years but years of experience has taught me to withhold the showering of praise on every recruit and proclaiming them to be the next big thing.

Antoine, if you are reading this, regardless of my baseless speculation on your potential as a football player, it is in no way an indictment of you as a person. I will think much more higher of you if you ride the bench your whole career, but stay out of the police blotter and get good grades than if you were to win the Lombardi award but become a convicted felon. Welcome to Nebraska.

A simple welcome aboard would suffice.

My problem is, you haven't even seen the kid play a down of college football. Yet you have already made up your mind about his abilities. Give the kid a chance is all I'm saying.

My problem is, you haven't even seen the kid play a down of college football. Yet you have already made up your mind about his abilities. Give the kid a chance is all I'm saying.

You're absolutely correct. But I guess that's what I thought what we do on the recruiting board, is offer our interpretation of how we think a recruit might fare. Like I said before in my post, my speculation is completely baseless, because it is exactly that, just speculation. It's just an opinion. And just because I might not think that he'll be a world-beater in football, when someone above said he had good grades, my respect for him went up more than anything someone could do on a football field. Apologies for the heavy negativity in my original post, I dislike negative nancy's as much as anyone and I was being a hypocrite in that instance.

• Fire 1

You're absolutely correct. But I guess that's what I thought what we do on the recruiting board, is offer our interpretation of how we think a recruit might fare. Like I said before in my post, my speculation is completely baseless, because it is exactly that, just speculation. It's just an opinion. And just because I might not think that he'll be a world-beater in football, when someone above said he had good grades, my respect for him went up more than anything someone could do on a football field. Apologies for the heavy negativity in my original post, I dislike negative nancy's as much as anyone and I was being a hypocrite in that instance.

No problem. +1

If you go look at the Jason Pierre Paul thread alot of the same things were being said about him coming out of juco. He turned out pretty well.

JPP was a 5 star recruit, that is where that comparison ends.

He was a 4 star... and my point was everyone said the same thing..."look at his offer list" I Didnt compare him to Jason at all, just pointing out that an offer list is not always a good indicator of talent (although most of the time it is)

According to Rivals the only schools to offer him were

South Florida

Nebraska

Kansas St

Arizona

http://rivals.yahoo....erre-Paul-81355

Sounds like he has room to bulk up...probably depends on what a college program can do for him. I definitly think he will be a project, definitly not going to get early playing time, but I think he could be good with the right development. Seems to have the abilities, just needs to get them tuned up a bit.

I found these to be interesting comments from Huskeronline's Nate Clouse, might help explain why we went after him and what the plan is for him:

"When Miles initially committed there was talk about him possible adding weight to his frame and moving inside to defensive tackle. While there is a need at defensive tackle in addition to defensive end, I think that Miles is an end all the way. I don't see him being nearly as effective after being bulked up and moved inside as I do if they keep him on the edge."

"Miles is another good get at a position of need and from a state that Nebraska has worked hard to develop a strong presence in. The Canton (Ohio) McKinley program is one of the top programs, in the highest classification, in the state of Ohio. They have players come out of there every single year. They also play against the top competition in the state so their players come battle tested already."

Looks like he might be looking around now. Coach Marrow was the only one that he has talked to while committed. He's "not sure" if he's committed to Nebraska anymore. Also, is not making the trip to Nebraska as he planned for this weekend.

In my opinion Kaz needs to go to Ohio and do an in-home with this kid and make him feel comfortable about coming here.

Looks like we mighta lost him with Marrow.

Looks like he might be looking around now. Coach Marrow was the only one that he has talked to while committed. He's "not sure" if he's committed to Nebraska anymore. Also, is not making the trip to Nebraska as he planned for this weekend.

In my opinion Kaz needs to go to Ohio and do an in-home with this kid and make him feel comfortable about coming here.

Looks like we mighta lost him with Marrow.

No disrespect, but I wont lose any sleep over this kid.