Charles Jackson

He's not transferring, so ease your mind. I thought this was an interesting article:

The question: Where do coaches put him?

Safety, perhaps.

Along with his work at nickel and cornerback, Jackson has been getting looks at safety, a position where Nebraska will have to replace two seniors next year.

“The thing Charles does best is he runs and hits,” said defensive coordinator John Papuchis. “He has some cover skills to him, obviously. The way we play our safeties, if you run, hit and cover, those are the three things we’re looking for.”

He could be a very good safety, Papuchis thinks. But Jackson’s cover skills are strong enough that Papuchis could see the defensive back about anywhere in the secondary.

Jackson is keeping an open mind. "It just depends where they need me at the moment, where they need depth at. I’m willing to play whatever," he said.

A preference? "I feel like safety is more physical. I feel like I’m a fit for safety. They’re all fun."

LINK

I hadn't really thought about Jackson at Safety. I guess with how good he supposedly is at CB and Nickel, I assumed he would stay put. But with the CB position being one of the more loaded position groups on the team, I would love to see him at Safety. Get the playmakers on the field. Next year we could have Jackson and Jackson as our two safeties.

The way we play our safeties, if you run, hit and cover, those are the three things we’re looking for

They certainly do that...but maybe you should throw tackling in there JP? Just a thought... :dunno

:lol:

Yeah, that's probably important. With the way Charles has played on punt coverage, I don't have a lot of worry in that area. He was one of the first guys down the field almost every single time.

Haven't we as armchair coaches been saying move him to safety for half the season? I know i've seen at least 10 times him being mentioned moved to safety for next year. Maybe some of the guys here do know a little something about coaching the secondary a little bit if the coaches are just now talking about that move.

Who knows, maybe in an attempt to get an outsider's perspective on what they should do schematically, the coaches browse huskerboard and that's why this is being talked about... :dunno

he's a little small to play saftey isnt he?

Eric berry is no mammoth. Stafford isn't all that big for that matter. It all depends on instincts and how well you are able to help out with the run. Judging by the little film I have seen of him he seems like he could play the position very well!