WR Monte Harrison

Nexus

I doubt that most teenagers are savvy enough to turn a few hundred thousand into being set for life. Lord knows most professional athletes can't seem to. When you throw in the maturity and life skills that a big time college program can instill, I'd advise most kids to take the education over $200K. Not to mention which will be more fun, riding on buses in the middle of nowhere or being a local celebrity and playing in front of thousands.

Now, if you start talking about real "set for life" money like Starling, that's a different story.

I doubt that most teenagers are savvy enough to turn a few hundred thousand into being set for life. Lord knows most professional athletes can't seem to. When you throw in the maturity and life skills that a big time college program can instill, I'd advise most kids to take the education over $200K. Not to mention which will be more fun, riding on buses in the middle of nowhere or being a local celebrity and playing in front of thousands.

Now, if you start talking about real "set for life" money like Starling, that's a different story.

I suppose it would depend on their support system at home.

Really hope he makes it to campus. Looking a lot better than it did before he initially committed.

But to be honest, we cannot compete with $$$$$$$$$$$

Exhibit A: Bubba Starling.

We can't recruit against that 5 million they gave him.

As much has I wanted Starling here, and Harrison; if they offer $5 million, you HAVE to take it....

Not that a couple Mill is really changing the point here, but didn't they sign him for $7.5 mil? Or are you saying what he actually got after Uncle Sam got done w/ him:)

Haha.

My point was it really isn't a fair fight any school vs The MLB. They can legally pay him a lot of money. If I were 18 and someone wanted to give me 5 million dollars to sign my name or go play football at NU I would really have a hard decision to make.

Haha.

My point was it really isn't a fair fight any school vs The MLB. They can legally pay him a lot of money. If I were 18 and someone wanted to give me 5 million dollars to sign my name or go play football at NU I would really have a hard decision to make.

Yeah, I love NU, but I'm taking the money....

A conversation should be had between Mr Harrison and Mr Starling. Bubba brings perspective as well an impartial voice. He can speak from the point of someone who took the money and is struggling. There are some out there that took the money and succeded but there are far more that fail. Now Bubbas ending hasn't been written yet and I'm not suggesting Harrison will struggle and fail, but who better to ask advice from than someone that was in your shoes just a couple years ago.

A conversation should be had between Mr Harrison and Mr Starling. Bubba brings perspective as well an impartial voice. He can speak from the point of someone who took the money and is struggling. There are some out there that took the money and succeded but there are far more that fail. Now Bubbas ending hasn't been written yet and I'm not suggesting Harrison will struggle and fail, but who better to ask advice from than someone that was in your shoes just a couple years ago.

Yeah, I highly doubt Bubba will be willing to concede that it was a mistake at this point....

Haha.

Couldn't agree more...i'm pretty sure I would take the money...it isn't like they are taking the money and having to do hard labor...they are getting to play baseball! Still getting paid to do something they love to do...

Haha.

Couldn't agree more...i'm pretty sure I would take the money...it isn't like they are taking the money and having to do hard labor...they are getting to play baseball! Still getting paid to do something they love to do...

No doubt that they are well compensated, but I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work that goes into being a pro athlete....

Yeah, I highly doubt Bubba will be willing to concede that it was a mistake at this point....

That's because it wasn't. It was the right call and it still is. So he's struggling at his sport - who cares? He's set for life financially and can do the college and possibly football thing later if baseball doesn't work out.

How does the MLB draft work? Or a better question would be what does it look like I suppose? How far down the pecking order does big money go?

I don't follow baseball so I have no idea, but it seems like anything outside of the first two rounds would have a pretty significant drop-off in dollar signs?

The MLB draft is really crazy to try and even the playing field. This link kind of explains the process.

http://ht.ly/k7AbT

Haha.

No doubt that they are well compensated, but I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work that goes into being a pro athlete....

Not really what I meant by hard labor...they are getting paid millions of dollars to practice hard and be the best at their game, not getting paid millions to work in a coal mine in South Africa...

Take the money, set it aside and live off the contract. If baseball doesn't work out, use the bonus to pay for college and play football if possible. A couple years in real life will make him a better student when he does go to college anyway.

I would love to see him here right out of HS, but if it was my kid, that is what I would be telling him to do.

• Fire 1

Take the money, set it aside and live off the contract. If baseball doesn't work out, use the bonus to pay for college and play football if possible. A couple years in real life will make him a better student when he does go to college anyway.

I would love to see him here right out of HS, but if it was my kid, that is what I would be telling him to do.

+1!!!!!

The money he would make from his signing bonus would set him up for a long time (his whole life if he is smart). If baseball doesn't work out, he can go back to college and he is the guy in his mid 20's with money in college. I am sure he would have a ton of problems finding chicks.

Bubba made the right call, he was a tippy-top draft pick and got ridiculous money. Remains to be seen where Harrison would get drafted and what he'd get. Could be he'd be better-off sticking with football while working-on raising his MLB draft status playing college baseball.