Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

Note to Nebraska fans:

Don't let your school hire an AD who received a degree from the University of Notre Dame

Don't be UNC, Duke, GaTech? And don't be Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch? And don't be the man who outfoxed Delaney and spoke for all conference commishes to present the playoff to the media!

Exactly. Dont be one of them. Be The University of Nebraska Athletic Director.

• Fire 2

Note to Nebraska fans:

Don't let your school hire an AD who received a degree from the University of Notre Dame

Don't be UNC, Duke, GaTech? And don't be Wake Forest President Nathan Hatch? And don't be the man who outfoxed Delaney and spoke for all conference commishes to present the playoff to the media!

This guy gets it.

Well, you have someone claiming she is actually a real person, despite what people are currently saying. Is he lying?

And again, is it oustside the realm of possibility she was not real, Te'o was catfished, but was making up a few details to because he didn't want to admit it was just a short (time span) long distance relationship? It certainly isn't, so I'd say it's a bit early to draw conclusions.

No matter how you slice the pie he comes out looking like a prick. He's either a straight up lair and fraud for inventing this. Or he's an idiot and liar, as well as a very uncaring and selfish "boyfriend" for never seeing her in person then beginning to lie once he knew the truth and letting it take on a life of it's own at the BCS game. He's not coming out of this without some egg on his face.

I think it's tough for Te'o to dig himself out of this unless he says what people want to hear, and at this point, a lot of the evidence and speculation suggests he inflated this relationship. He'll also have to explain whether it was inflated out of embarrassment, inflated for exposure, or both.

At this point, it's difficult to believe he's 100% innocent.

Yeah, Notre Dame has gone on total information lockdown, including reporters from the area talking to national newspapers/stations.

I am not equating scenarios, but that same BS attitude is how things like Penn St. happen. As a general statement the threats and information strangleholds around major programs needs to stop somehow. It is a dangerous practice.

• Fire 1

This is getting way too weird, Te'o should just come out and say he is gay. We all suspected it.

that would be the simplest explanation, but then why publicize and dramatize the relationship so much? the other thing would be if he thought it was real and then he embellished it a little bit and it blew up in his face. i do not buy either. he was in on it for some reason.

This "judging others who are judging Te'o" hypocrisy doesn't do much for the whole "above the fray" affectation.

agreed knapp. we are just trying to figure it out. it is impossible to be sympathetic for te'o when trying to piece this together. i do sympathize for him because no kid should become a national punchline. but such is life.

Note to Nebraska fans:

current or recently retired?

I think it's tough for Te'o to dig himself out of this unless he says what people want to hear, and at this point, a lot of the evidence and speculation suggests he inflated this relationship. He'll also have to explain whether it was inflated out of embarrassment, inflated for exposure, or both.

At this point, it's difficult to believe he's 100% innocent.

No but Manti could easily be 90% innocent. That means he had a bona fide belief that there was a real Lennay with with whom he was friends. Manti then told a fish story about the relationship he thought that he had. For some this is a bloody glove, but romantic suspected or known fairy tales populate my facebook newsfeed every day.

Besides the obvious biases that everyone brings, I side with Teo over the known frauds because of plausibility. Do people really think that Teo invented a story and didn't notice that it could be debunked with a single phone call to the Stanford registrar? And for what benefit? a few extra Heisman votes that he shouldn't need to beat a true freshman. But he was willing to risk getting locked out of the NFL draft and becoming a millionaire, because the story was so cool.

Yeah, Notre Dame has gone on total information lockdown, including reporters from the area talking to national newspapers/stations.

I am not equating scenarios, but that same BS attitude is how things like Penn St. happen. As a general statement the threats and information strangleholds around major programs needs to stop somehow. It is a dangerous practice.

Loose lips sink ships, and/or multi million dollar lawsuits. It would be insane to NOT place gag orders on employees.

But no one can gag LSUFreak. Greatest gif maker in world history.

My odds keep moving around. Here's where I'm at now. Keep in mind each theory has it's own variations.

1. Gay Theory: 26%. Biggest hole: Why kill the fake girl as opposed to just breaking up with her?

2. Publicity Theory: 10%. Biggest hole: Publicity for what? There is no way he was thinking about the Heisman in early September. Remember that a strictly defensive player has never won the Heisman in the modern era (Woodson returned punts and played some receiver). Most people expected Notre Dame to be a 9-3 or 10-2 type team. Te'o was not in the top 20 Heisman candidates to begin the season. Publicity for the school? Why would he risk his own reputation/future? There is no evidence that the school was involved.

3. Te'o was in on it, but for some messed up, non-publicity reason: 13%. Biggest hole: What's the reason?

4. He was duped: 24%. Biggest hole: The details of the long phone calls, along with phone calls to her family members. I can see him lying to his parents and media about seeing her in person, to cover-up the embarrassment of an online-only relationship, But the detailed descriptions of the phone calls and talking to her family members... that's tough to believe.

5. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about: 27%. Gotta leave space for more bizarre twists.

Loose lips sink ships, and/or multi million dollar lawsuits. It would be insane to NOT place gag orders on employees.

But no one can gag LSUFreak. Greatest gif maker in world history.

what lawsuit could come of this? all at stake is more embarrassment, which nd asked for by rushing to have a press conference.