Where are the Nebraska Kids?

I just noticed that only one of 21 committed kids in this year's class is from Nebraska. As a point of reference, 59% of the 1995 roster was from Nebraska and 67% of the offensive lineman were from Nebraska. I know that is skewed by the number of walk-ons, but why aren't more Nebraska kids offered? It could just be my memory, but in the past I didn't see many starters from Nebraska on other teams, but now it seems to happen often.

Sayles is worthy of a scholot. I think he could be a heck of a Dlineman. Great motor and strength. However, he's getting tired of waiting for that offer. Nahjee Jackson from Lincoln southeast, is probably the best fringe prospect that could have been offered after that. The in state talent is in the next two years.

Question--would the lack of 7 on 7 (a.k.a. Spring Football) in Nebraska also be hurting in-state recruiting prospects? I seem to recall there was talk about starting that up in Nebraska and other areas of the Midwest, because it helps give the kids from states that have these programs (e.g. Texass, Florida, California) a leg up.

Also, I'm sure that the continual exodus of young people from Nebraska doesn't help matters any either and could have long-term ramifications on (among other things) the lack of in-state talent. Would be nice to see the state reverse that trend, but that may be a discussion best left to the politics tab.

What's the right number each year? People complained that Solich took too many in state kids.

It wasnt so much that he took too many in state kids, but rather he had to "settle" for too many of them. As he lived off the depth and talent stockpiled by Osborne during his first 2-3 seasons, Solich really struggled with recruiting those years. He missed on a lot of high caliber talent that Osborne wouldve easily been able to sew up. The Wistroms and Peter and Fraziers and Aaron Grahams type of players that Osborne was getting here, Solich was missing on and having to use scholarships up on walk-on caliber guys. This issue reared its ugly head late in 2001, and in 2002 and even in '03 some. I believe the issue had been addressed with a staff overhaul and was improving, but we'll never know the full improvement.

The generational talent pools is also another issue. There was just more back then. From developed lineman throughout rural Nebraska to the bevy of tailbacks from Central. Another thing that seems to never be brought up in these discussions was our clear cut advantages in the S&C and psychology. Nebraska was innovative and 2-3 steps ahead of everyone in strenght and conditioning and in player psychology. The Nebraska kids may not have been such great players out of high school, but they were developed into such. Now a days, we do not have those advantages. Everyone is practicing such detailed S&C and player psychology. But it is also an advantage that we are trying to get back with the sports lab in the east stadium.

I just noticed that only one of 21 committed kids in this year's class is from Nebraska. As a point of reference, 59% of the 1995 roster was from Nebraska and 67% of the offensive lineman were from Nebraska. I know that is skewed by the number of walk-ons, but why aren't more Nebraska kids offered? It could just be my memory, but in the past I didn't see many starters from Nebraska on other teams, but now it seems to happen often.

3 out of our 5 OL starters this year were from Nebraska. How many starters are you seeing from Nebraska on other teams - and don't count Northwest Missouri State, etc. More than 3? They are few and far between. We aren't losing out on quality talent in Nebraska - there just isn't much.

Choi - Lincoln, NE

Pensick - Lincoln, NE

Long - Elkhorn, NE

Lets go the entire depth chart on the OL for the Georgia game...

Left Tackle

Qvale - ND

Sirles - CO

Thompson - TX

Left Guard

Choi - NE

Pensick - NE

Cotton - NE

Center

Pensick - NE*

Pelini - OH

Right Guard

Long - NE

Nickens - NE

Reeves - NE

Right Tackle

Sirles - CO

Rodriguez - NE

Almost the entire OL. (which might not be a good thing to be honest w/ you) And look at the rest of the depth chart from that game. Out of 31 listed on offense 13 were from NE. On defense there is a discrepancy - out of 29 only 5 were from NE. Throw in our kicker and holder from NE as well. Quite a few considering we recruit nationally, and are located in a small state w/ little to no talent. To be honest w/ you we'll probably start winning when we finally get MORE out of state kids making a bigger impact. The fact that we're relying on so many NE kids is why we have depth issues - they take so much longer to develop because they are behind the 8-ball with HS football in NE.

• Fire 1