Braylon Heard Transferring...

I see people saying that the coaches were doing every thing they could to get Braylon on to the field by asking him to play receiver, but I really don't think that's how that position switch was going to unfold. Playing receiver for the first time in his career, who was he supposed to step in front of? Tarriq Allen, Jordan Westerkamp, Steven Osborne, not to mention KBell, Enunwa, and Turner? We're more loaded at WR than we are at RB.

I'm sorry, but I can't really defend the coaches on this one. Braylon looked way too good on the field, he looked fresh and electric every time he touched the ball. With the injury problems we had last year, there's really no good reason Heard shouldn't have had more carries. This also isn't hindsight - people were saying this all season long. If you go back and look, you'll find a couple "Where's Braylon Heard" threads from the middle of the season.

it has been stated multiple times throughout this thread that heard wasnt going to be competing with the wrs for playing time. they were going to put him out there for a package of plays to get him on the field more.

Oh and by putting "one of" in quotes doesn't have the desired effect you think it does.

I thought you used quotes to quote people? In this case he was quoting himself. So it does have the desired effect.

WTF? And no it doesn't have the desired effect! "One of" is vague and open to interpretation! He said it like it carried more importance than it deserves and the stats bear that out!

Reports are they were trying to get him SOME REPS at WR.

Kenyon Barner had 278 carries this year. I'd guess Ameer would have the same next year.

De'Anthony Thomas had 90 carries this year and 45 receptions. I'd guess this is what they were trying to do with Braylon next year.

Oh yeah, Thomas averaged 1.2 yards per carry more than Barner. I don't hear him bitching or see him transferring.

De'Athony Thomas is probably THE MOST ELECTRIC PLAYER IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. I hear ZERO criticism about how he was used.

Do you frequent Oregon message boards where criticisms of Oregon football are most likely to be posted?

Would you have a problem Heard getting those numbers? By all accounts, De'Anthony Thomas is better than Braylon and he isn't complaining.

I'm just asking, because it is quite possible that Oregon fans may have a different opinion on that. And you suggesting that you hearing ZERO complaints about how an Oregon running back is used on a Nebraska message board is kind of silly. Still, if Braylon Heard had 92 carries this past season as De'Anthony Thomas did, he just might be staying. Instead he had 52. What inclination should he have that he's going to see some massive increase in playing time, when this coaching staff has shown an unwillingness to go away from starters, even in a blowout?

That said, it should be noted that De'Anthony Thomas finished his Sophomore year behind Senior Kenjon Barner. He has two full years as a starter ahead of him. Braylon is a Junior to be, and so is Abdullah. Not the same. Additionally, De'Anthony Thomas has been used extensively in the return game.

Kenyon Barner had 278 carries this year. I'd guess Ameer would have the same next year.

De'Anthony Thomas had 90 carries this year and 45 receptions. I'd guess this is what they were trying to do with Braylon next year.

Would you have a problem Heard getting those numbers? By all accounts, De'Anthony Thomas is better than Braylon and he isn't complaining.

I wouldn't, but Braylon, to this point, has had nowhere even close to that kind of involvement. A RB that gets 45 receptions (never mind targets) while playing behind a healthy #1 has a lot of on-field time. I could see how the staff might want that for Heard next year, but he has doubts.

I hear you, but even when Rex was down the coaches demonstrated almost zero faith in Braylon. That stretch of four tough conference games in October/November where he had something like ten carries.

It's been said by a lot of people that big things were in store for Heard next year. I'm not disputing that and if it's the case, it sucks that he's gone. Just pointing out that I can see why Braylon would be skeptical of a position switch and promises of being used in that way. Although I still think it's a reason given for PR purposes, and he just didn't really like it here enough -- but didn't want to air other issues in the public eye.

it has been stated multiple times throughout this thread that heard wasnt going to be competing with the wrs for playing time. they were going to put him out there for a package of plays to get him on the field more.

We have that guy in Turner. We didn't need Braylon in that role. We needed him as a running back. How could anyone possibly argue the staff was actively trying to get him on the field more? They ran Abdullah to the point where he wasn't even effective anymore, then they kept running him. They'd rather do that than give Heard more carries. Now, suddenly they're building packages around him, which they should be doing with Turner, because they can't figure out any other way to get him on the field? heh. I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

• Fire 4

We have that guy in Turner. We didn't need Braylon in that role. We needed him as a running back. How could anyone possibly argue the staff was actively trying to get him on the field more? They ran Abdullah to the point where he wasn't even effective anymore, then they kept running him. They'd rather do that than give Heard more carries. Now, suddenly they're building packages around him, which they should be doing with Turner, because they can't figure out any other way to get him on the field? heh. I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

Kansas has some pretty neat lakes by the way.

I hear you, but even when Rex was down the coaches demonstrated almost zero faith in Braylon. That stretch of four tough conference games in October/November where he had something like ten carries.

It's been said by a lot of people that big things were in store for Heard next year. I'm not disputing that and if it's the case, it sucks that he's gone. Just pointing out that I can see why Braylon would be skeptical of a position switch and promises of being used in that way. Although I still think it's a reason given for PR purposes, and he just didn't really like it here enough -- but didn't want to air other issues in the public eye.

To be fair...IIRC that 4 game stretch was right at the time of his groin injury....

Praise the Lord Hallelujah Amen! Preach on brother. You speak the same truth I speak.

No question we should've used him more last year. It's irrelevant what we were going to use him for this year. All he sees is what he didn't get to do this past season. He's the same year as Ameer, so he thinks it's worth it to sit out and have two full years rather than two years where he doesn't see playing time like he wants to. His choice and i wish him nothing but the best.

I wouldn't, but Braylon, to this point, has had nowhere even close to that kind of involvement. A RB that gets 45 receptions (never mind targets) while playing behind a healthy #1 has a lot of on-field time. I could see how the staff might want that for Heard next year, but he has doubts.

He also returns punts and kicks. The Black Mamba has had WAY more involvement in Oregon's O than Braylon did in ours.

I hope Bo is able to change his mind. Every program needs at least 2 good backs. Losing him would be a big loss. Bo needs to show Braylon how important he is to the program.