Zaire Anderson updates

knapplc

As long as he retains his speed, Zaire could be the star of this defense.

From what I've heard, he's stronger and faster than before. I think he is going to be a stud!

Now that is better news than I expected. If true, the rumored upswing in talent at this position might actually be true. He does have some game experience as well. Here's one Husker fan hoping for the stars to align, so to speak.

ROLB

Anderson

Newby/Love/

MLB

Santos

Rose

LOLB

Brown

Afalava

^That would be my preference for the LB 2-deep come fall. That's some serious speed. With that as a 2-deep, there likely wouldn't be any Slot-backs burning the LB's on slants and crosses like UCLA loved to exploit with franklin on Compton and whaley.

Not bad. Speed would definitely be killer but it is a young and inexperienced group. Lets just hope they can limit mistakes.

I'll take young speed over experienced and slow.

Speed can make up for a mistake (slightly out of position - sure, but speed will allow you to make up for that. Ex. David, Lavonte. He was out of position A LOT.) However, what is completely unacceptable is being in the right place and not being able to make the play for whatever reason (poor tackling, don't have the athleticism to hang with whoever you're going against - which is a lot of what happened against Whaley, when he was targeted.) Thats the biggest area of concern I had with Bo, he always wants people in the right spot...but sometimes you need to sacrifice being in the right spot for being more athletic.

ROLB

Anderson

Newby/Love/Banderas

MLB

Santos

Rose

LOLB

Brown

Afalava

^That would be my preference for the LB 2-deep come fall. That's some serious speed. With that as a 2-deep, there likely wouldn't be any Slot-backs burning the LB's on slants and crosses like UCLA loved to exploit with franklin on Compton and whaley.

I think the first defensive snap will be Santos, Roach, Anderson - our three most experienced linebackers - just to make sure the calls are correct. Then, after the butterflies die down, in will come Brown, Rose, Afalava, and after that, it's whoever impresses the coaches the most.

If that scenario plays out, these new stud recruits could all redshirt.

I think the first defensive snap will be Santos, Roach, Anderson - our three most experienced linebackers - just to make sure the calls are correct. Then, after the butterflies die down, in will come Brown, Rose, Afalava, and after that, it's whoever impresses the coaches the most.

If that scenario plays out, these new stud recruits could all redshirt.

I could be wrong but I don't think we'd ever see Santos and Roach on the field at the same time. I believe Roach backs up Santos at MLB and I don't believe he has gotten experience at any of the other LB positions.

This is kind of an out-of-left-field statement, but I think Roach might add more value to the team as an RB, barring complete ineptitude by Rose and this year's LB recruits. I played against roach in High school and he was an unstoppable hoss running over people. Roach is a poor-man's Imani Cross

I think Santos could end up auditioning at any spot. I think it's wide open. Els has said he is going to ask his LB's to learn all the positions and will take it from there. I am not a huge fan of that approach but we shall see. They have tried similar approach with the OL in the past to get the best athletes on the field. Not sure how well that has worked. I would think it's hard enough to learn one spot for a young player, why make it any harder? Just my opinion. Guess it gets back to Bo's philosophy of understanding the principals vs learning plays.