Combine

Looking on NFL.com, it looks like Rex has been doing well aside from the 40.

2nd best vertical at 39 inches

2nd best broad jump at 125 inches

The guy is explosive, let's give him that.

Surprised he struggled in the bench press - finishing 13th.

It'll be interesting to see how the agility drills come out.

I wouldn't say he struggled in the bench. I'd actually say he did very well. Montee Ball pulling only 15 reps is struggling.

13th out of 31 is pretty average. For Rex, average is struggling.

I wouldn't say he struggled in the bench. I'd actually say he did very well. Montee Ball pulling only 15 reps is struggling.

I dont think it is in terms of athletic ability when it comes to drills. I think he definitely better than average when it comes to his abilities in the actual game type drills than the other lets see if your a freak athlete drills

You have to put into perspective though that nearly all of the guys ahead of him a significantly bigger, many of them fullbacks. And like HuskerShark said, bench is pretty irrelevant anyway. It's basically looking to see whether a guy had a great work ethic in college as far as getting in the weight room. A low score in the BP is much more noteworthy than a high score. Take a look at DJ Fluker. He only managed 21 reps, the same as Burkhead, at 339 lbs!

You have to put into perspective though that nearly all of the guys ahead of him a significantly bigger, many of them fullbacks. And like HuskerShark said, bench is pretty irrelevant anyway. It's basically looking to see whether a guy had a great work ethic in college as far as getting in the weight room. A low score in the BP is much more noteworthy than a high score. Take a look at DJ Fluker. He only managed 21 reps, the same as Burkhead, at 339 lbs!

Did you actually check or are you just guessing?

Rex - 214 lbs - 21 reps

Knile Davis 227 lbs - 31 reps

Mike James - 223 lbs - 28 reps

Christine Michael - 220 lbs - 27 reps

Zac Stacy - 216 lbs - 27 reps

Michael Ford - 210 lbs - 25 reps

DJ Harper - 211 lbs - 23 reps

George Winn - 218 lbs - 22 reps

Perhaps 14 lbs to Davis is "significantly bigger" than Rex to you but that's someone who Rex would directly compete with. And none of the others are more than nine lbs heavier - some are lighter.

I'm not trying to run Rex down. Look at my post: "For Rex, average is struggling" I knew he would be low in the 40 but expected him to be near the top in most everything else. With his work ethic, I was surprised he didn't test a little better in the bench press because he seems pretty strong and I'm sure he knows the way to the weight room. It's not that big of a deal, just surprising to me.

Rex - 214 lbs - 21 reps

Perhaps 14 lbs to Davis is "significantly bigger" than Rex to you but that's someone who Rex would directly compete with. And none of the others are more than nine lbs heavier - some are lighter.

I'm not trying to run Rex down. Look at my post: "For Rex, average is struggling" I knew he would be low in the 40 but expected him to be near the top in most everything else. With his work ethic, I was surprised he didn't test a little better in the bench press because he seems pretty strong and I'm sure he knows the way to the weight room. It's not that big of a deal, just surprising to me.

Have you ever lifted weights before in your life? If you have than you would know as little as five pounds makes a huge difference. When I went from 180lbs to 170, my bench dropped nearly 50 lbs. Trust me it is significant. I did look and nearly all of the guys are bigger making the difference in reps less important. Does all this mean that Burkhead would've been the strongest guy pound for pound there, no, but with the exception of a few guys he is certainly right there with the top guys.

Rex - 214 lbs - 21 reps

Have you ever lifted weights before in your life? If you have than you would know as little as five pounds makes a huge difference. When I went from 180lbs to 170, my bench dropped nearly 50 lbs. Trust me it is significant. I did look and nearly all of the guys are bigger making the difference in reps less important. Does all this mean that Burkhead would've been the strongest guy pound for pound there, no, but with the exception of a few guys he is certainly right there with the top guys.

Yes. I often out-lifted guys 15-20 pounds heavier than me.

Rex has football speed and quicks as evidenced by the agility and cone drills. Top end speed is great. Once you break the tackles, elude the D, pick up the blitz, catch the ball in the flats etc..........There is a lot more to football than top end 40 times. Emmit Smith topped a whopping 4.55 and he did all right.

Talent scouts are not stupid. They see a kid who works his a$$ off, scored high in several (IMO) more every down football statistics, can pass pro, run and catch as well as a little Rex cat and who was only the featured back one year at NU. Injuries aside, he has really little wear and tear compared to some of the guys coming out. not saying he will be some teams every down back, but at 5'10 and 214 the kid has the size to get the yards. Also has an uncanny and sought after ability to really never lose a yard. he has that ability to turn and maneuver to get that extra yrd even stood up in the middle of a pile.

I think he goes in round 4, maybe 5. after that he is the deal of the century.

Somethings not right with Davis last year he did not produce. One of those "combine" guys.

He tore his ACL the year before this last season and played on an extremely unmotivated team last year after the whole Petrino incident. He was probably going to be a first round draft pick and #1 RB before the injury, it has dropped some because of the injury, but I would see his combine performance as more of him getting fully healthy and pending further injury, I think he will be the best back in this draft.

Rex has football speed and quicks as evidenced by the agility and cone drills. Top end speed is great. Once you break the tackles, elude the D, pick up the blitz, catch the ball in the flats etc..........There is a lot more to football than top end 40 times. Emmit Smith topped a whopping 4.55 and he did all right.

Talent scouts are not stupid. They see a kid who works his a$$ off, scored high in several (IMO) more every down football statistics, can pass pro, run and catch as well as a little Rex cat and who was only the featured back one year at NU. Injuries aside, he has really little wear and tear compared to some of the guys coming out. not saying he will be some teams every down back, but at 5'10 and 214 the kid has the size to get the yards. Also has an uncanny and sought after ability to really never lose a yard. he has that ability to turn and maneuver to get that extra yrd even stood up in the middle of a pile.

I agree with pretty much all of this. But still, I thought he was faster than that.

And honestly, Burkhead has always reminded me of Emmitt Smith.

Somethings not right with Davis last year he did not produce. One of those "combine" guys.

He tore his ACL the year before this last season and played on an extremely unmotivated team last year after the whole Petrino incident. He was probably going to be a first round draft pick and #1 RB before the injury, it has dropped some because of the injury, but I would see his combine performance as more of him getting fully healthy and pending further injury, I think he will be the best back in this draft.

If lattimore can get and stay healthy he as a chance to be the best back