Ranking Big 10 coaches - Bo # 7

I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do.

Perhaps one of the reasons we run the ball so well is because of our tempo?

Maybe, but I doubt it. I would say any success we have running the ball is the result of good blocking, lack of blown assignments, and tough backs that can run through tackles, unlike a certain 5 star back from Cali that won't be named. (I still liked the guy, but there's a reason he was cut from the Bengals. Hopefully Rex doesn't follow suit.)

I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do.

Perhaps one of the reasons we run the ball so well is because of our tempo?

It might also be because we've gotten spoiled with a couple guys named Helu and Burkhead past few years...

Burkhead yes, Helu not as much but still somewhat yes. It's because of several things and not just one, of course, but when you look at Helu's career days, the reality is that he hardly had anyone touching him and all he had to do was run from point A to point B as fast as he could.

Speaking of developing players? Check out how many native Nebraska kids were on the 1995 team. I think I counted over 100. These kids, recruited or walk-ons, were part of a system that developed players. (And subsequently, national championships).

http://www.huskers.c...0&Q_SEASON=1995

We had a ton more in state talent then than we do now. This year is a good year for Nebraska, however if we were a state like Missouri we wouldn't have to work as hard to recruit.

I think we have a ton of talent on our roster and a lot of potential. I do believe that the kids we have on our roster have the POTENTIAL to be elite and get us to MNCs/Playoffs.

There are about 60 kids from Neb. on the current team. That is a significant drop off. There was only 1 Nebraska recruit on the 2013 class list. Are we saying that there was only one kid in the state of Nebraska with enough talent and ability to play on the NU football team? Only one recruited for the 2012 team? Thee from the 2011 class? Four from the 2010 class? That is a total of 9 Nebraska kids in the last four years! I do not believe that the talent level has dropped off that much.

dont live in nebraska so i dont have as good as info as a lot of people on here, but are there any other teams out there winning with nebraska recruits? i cant think of any and its not like any of the neighboring states are signing a lot of nebraska kids maybe a state of less than 2 million people just doesnt have as many recruits as states with much larger populations

We'd all be in a much better mood if the 'Blackshirts' hadn't given up 115 points in their final 2 games, not to mention the fact that they really weren't that impressive in the Spring Game. We'll see how things go with what should be an easier schedule, but this group of 18-22 year-olds probably won't live up to our expectations. Yet again. I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do. Pelini made the football program and all of us look pretty bad during the Buckeye Beatdown and Wisky2. Since he's still the coach, all I can take from it is that it was a hard lesson to learn, hopefully he still learned it, and Nebraska NEVER again gets blown out once, let alone twice in one season. Considering EVERYTHING he has at his disposal, you'd think the Big Red would have more to show for the last 5 years. Curse of Black Friday (11-23-01) - I won't stop believing it until we win a conference title and/or a BCS bowl game. Until then, Chris Brown is still running for 6, taking our dignity with him.

Pretty good post. Couple issues though.

If youre creating defensive expectations based on the spring game, it's time to step off the ledge. Half of the highly touted players didnt play, and the ones who did were split up into separate teams anyway. I'll be honest, I took more away from the 2012 spring game than the 2013 edition (but there wasnt a 2012 spring game-exactly).

2nd, as landlord said. My mood is perfectly fine.

3rd. Bo and the team did not make us look bad with some bad losses. It's a god damn game. Again, I think you need to step back off the ledge a little.

Lastly. I do see your point about the Black Friday. It really seems that program just cant get over what that day did, even though a day like that was in the makings for a good 4 years to begin with.

But...I like the ledge. Maybe I'm just weird, but I was really embarrassed after those games. Football's just about all we got here. I was driving down to El Paso a few weeks ago, and went through Las Cruces, NM, home of the New Mexico State Aggies. Their 'stadium' is right next to the interstate, so I got a good look at their playing field, which is basically between two hills with seats. Other than a field house at one end, that's it. It seats a fraction of what we have in Lincoln, and they rarely fill that up. That's the kind of program that gives up 63 and 70 points in one season. Not Nebraska. I once saw some tape of some spread offense fundamentals put together by Leach when he was at TTech. His scholarship athletes were drilling out in the heat of the summer, basically in a sandlot. This was the summer of 2004. Even then, we had far and away better facilities than the Raiders had, and we all know what happened in Lubbock on 10/9/04. If that isn't embarrassing, I don't know what is. It's hard to understand though, given ALL the money and fan support that HAS NOT WAIVERED through more than a decade of irrelevance.

We'd all be in a much better mood if the 'Blackshirts' hadn't given up 115 points in their final 2 games, not to mention the fact that they really weren't that impressive in the Spring Game. We'll see how things go with what should be an easier schedule, but this group of 18-22 year-olds probably won't live up to our expectations. Yet again. I still contend that the hurry-up may get us some yards, but only hurts us overall. We need to take advantage of being the 8th best rushing team in the nation. I'm not saying we try to re-create 90's glory, but since we can run the ball, so eat clock, and the better the defense will do. Pelini made the football program and all of us look pretty bad during the Buckeye Beatdown and Wisky2. Since he's still the coach, all I can take from it is that it was a hard lesson to learn, hopefully he still learned it, and Nebraska NEVER again gets blown out once, let alone twice in one season. Considering EVERYTHING he has at his disposal, you'd think the Big Red would have more to show for the last 5 years. Curse of Black Friday (11-23-01) - I won't stop believing it until we win a conference title and/or a BCS bowl game. Until then, Chris Brown is still running for 6, taking our dignity with him.

Pretty good post. Couple issues though.

If youre creating defensive expectations based on the spring game, it's time to step off the ledge. Half of the highly touted players didnt play, and the ones who did were split up into separate teams anyway. I'll be honest, I took more away from the 2012 spring game than the 2013 edition (but there wasnt a 2012 spring game-exactly).

2nd, as landlord said. My mood is perfectly fine.

3rd. Bo and the team did not make us look bad with some bad losses. It's a god damn game. Again, I think you need to step back off the ledge a little.

Lastly. I do see your point about the Black Friday. It really seems that program just cant get over what that day did, even though a day like that was in the makings for a good 4 years to begin with.

But...I like the ledge. Maybe I'm just weird, but I was really embarrassed after those games. Football's just about all we got here. I was driving down to El Paso a few weeks ago, and went through Las Cruces, NM, home of the New Mexico State Aggies. Their 'stadium' is right next to the interstate, so I got a good look at their playing field, which is basically between two hills with seats. Other than a field house at one end, that's it. It seats a fraction of what we have in Lincoln, and they rarely fill that up. That's the kind of program that gives up 63 and 70 points in one season. Not Nebraska. I once saw some tape of some spread offense fundamentals put together by Leach when he was at TTech. His scholarship athletes were drilling out in the heat of the summer, basically in a sandlot. This was the summer of 2004. Even then, we had far and away better facilities than the Raiders had, and we all know what happened in Lubbock on 10/9/04. If that isn't embarrassing, I don't know what is. It's hard to understand though, given ALL the money and fan support that HAS NOT WAIVERED through more than a decade of irrelevance.

My in laws lived in Las Cruces for a lot of years. They retired there from Nebraska. When it comes to football, all they could do was laugh at the facilities and the teams the the NMSU put on the field. When Las Cruces High and Mayfield play their intercity games in Aggie Stadium, they fill it up. When NMSU plays, you can sit anywhere for cheap. There are plenty of vacant seats.

NU does have good fan base an fan support. However, sooner or later, if Bo does not win something, (Conference championships or National championships), he will be gone. I remember the raw deal Frank Solich got. Of course, the devil himself (Steve Pederson) was the AD at the time. Solich was 58-19 when he was fired.

Solich's 1999 Huskers defeated the Texas Longhorns for the Big 12 championship. Solich was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2001, and was one of seven finalists for the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award in 2001, despite his Nebraska team suffering a then-Nebraska record for worst loss in the final game of the season, a 62-36 drubbing against Colorado.

For the first five years as head coach, Solich served as his own offensive coordinator, as Osborne had for most of his tenure. His offenses centered on the option. He also utilized such plays as the Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass which became a highlight of Eric Crouch's Heisman Trophy-winning season in 2001.

The Huskers slumped to 7–7 in 2002 and Solich shook up his staff. He gave up offensive play-calling duties to newly hired offensive coordinator Barney Cotton and brought in Bo Pelini, the linebackers coach for the Green Bay Packers, as defensive coordinator. 2003 began with Nebraska starting out 5–0, but suffered three key losses later in the year: 41–24 to Missouri, 31–7 to Texas and 38–9 to Kansas State. After winning the final game of the regular season, Solich was fired by new athletic director Steve Pederson.

Solich's 58 wins during his first six seasons as Nebraska's head coach exceeded those of his predecessors, Bob Devaney (53 wins) and Osborne (55 wins), both of whom are in the College Football Hall of Fame.[1] But Solich won only one Big 12 North title and conference championship in six seasons and had a 1–9 record on the road against ranked teams (0–9 in conference play), and the team had a drop-off in offensive production.

Speaking of developing players? Check out how many native Nebraska kids were on the 1995 team. I think I counted over 100. These kids, recruited or walk-ons, were part of a system that developed players. (And subsequently, national championships).

http://www.huskers.c...0&Q_SEASON=1995

We had a ton more in state talent then than we do now. This year is a good year for Nebraska, however if we were a state like Missouri we wouldn't have to work as hard to recruit.

I think we have a ton of talent on our roster and a lot of potential. I do believe that the kids we have on our roster have the POTENTIAL to be elite and get us to MNCs/Playoffs.

There are about 60 kids from Neb. on the current team. That is a significant drop off. There was only 1 Nebraska recruit on the 2013 class list. Are we saying that there was only one kid in the state of Nebraska with enough talent and ability to play on the NU football team? Only one recruited for the 2012 team? Thee from the 2011 class? Four from the 2010 class? That is a total of 9 Nebraska kids in the last four years! I do not believe that the talent level has dropped off that much.

Yes. That is what I am saying. Because that is the case. Show me another kid outside of Bando that was worth a scholly offer? Maybe the DT that played 8 man????? MAYBE?!?!?!?!

Furthermore, did anyone think about it this way:

We lacked NFL talent. It is the case. Baker may have gotten drafted had he not gotten hurt. So the scheme these past years and the coaching must have been pretty good to win all of those football games without very much NFL talent as opposed to the other teams right????

Bottom line and back on topic, Pelini is, IMO, not a very good fit for NU. No one can match our facilities. Yet, quality players are choosing other schools. We have had quality players leave the program. Why is that? The answer is obvious. Those players do not want to play for a person who displays himself in a negative manner. Go to a K-State practice some time. You will not hear coaches, especially the head coach, yelling and screaming profanities. You do not dare take your kids to an NU practice. End of story.

:rollin

Bottom line and back on topic, Pelini is, IMO, not a very good fit for NU. No one can match our facilities. Yet, quality players are choosing other schools. We have had quality players leave the program. Why is that? The answer is obvious. Those players do not want to play for a person who displays himself in a negative manner. Go to a K-State practice some time. You will not hear coaches, especially the head coach, yelling and screaming profanities. You do not dare take your kids to an NU practice. End of story.

Oh I know. our practices are so unfun. Dont know why anyone would want anything to do with Nebraska.

Boy, that Bo. He's such a grumpy sumbitch. I dont know how anyone thinks they could have any fun at this program.

:rolleyes:

Oh I know. our practices are so unfun. Dont know why anyone would want anything to do with Nebraska.

Boy, that Bo. He's such a grumpy sumbitch. I dont know how anyone thinks they could have any fun at this program.

Gimmicks do not cover up the inability to recruit and develop. Pretty simple, really!

Gimmicks do not cover up the inability to recruit and develop. Pretty simple, really!

Ok. I know youre right. Since you live at our practices and all.

Players dont play their asses off to come from behind from double digit 2nd half deficits time and time again for a coach that they cant stand and treats them like sh#t. It's pretty simple really.

So you are saying he "displays himself in a negative manner" so kids don't want to play with him ... so he has an inability to recruit ... that he covers up by doing fun stuff with his players?

Let me know if I'm following your logic correctly.

Or you can just admit that you have ZERO idea how players and recruits really feel about him.

One of the two players he had a verbal altercation with during a game:

"People are making something out of nothing," Stafford said. "Me and Bo both, we know what's going on. We know we're good. That's all that really matters. We're one big family. Family members fight. I fight with my dad. I fight with my mom. It's nothing. I love Bo, that's why I came here."

"I LOVE BO, THAT'S WHY I CAME HERE."

"People are making something out of nothing." Maybe he is referring to Goal_line.

How many players have come out and say that they love Bo and that they feel the team is like a family?

but outside of Moore each one had someone in front of them on the depth chart who was clearly better.

And we cant honestly say with 100% certainty this was NOT the case with him even. We dont know.