Dictionary of Nebraska English

Dinner, lunch and Supper need a little more explanation I think. Dinner refers to a large meal and can be either at Noon or in the evening. Most of the time during the week, I have lunch at noon and dinner or supper in the evening. However, if my mother invites us over for "dinner" on Sunday, then it usually means a large meal that will be served at noon after church. Lunch is usually a lighter meal consisting of either a quick sandwich or salad and is always at noon on mid day.

That's pretty good. It is much simpler how I remember it.

Dinner-evening meal

Lunch-noon meal

Supper-City person talk for dinner

Dinner, lunch and Supper need a little more explanation I think. Dinner refers to a large meal and can be either at Noon or in the evening. Most of the time during the week, I have lunch at noon and dinner or supper in the evening. However, if my mother invites us over for "dinner" on Sunday, then it usually means a large meal that will be served at noon after church. Lunch is usually a lighter meal consisting of either a quick sandwich or salad and is always at noon on mid day.

Dinner-evening meal

Lunch-noon meal

Ive always lived my life under the assumption that dinner and lunch were one in the same and supper was the evening meal! We can all agree that the meal in the morning is still breakfast right?

Dinner-evening meal

Lunch-noon meal

Ive always lived my life under the assumption that dinner and lunch were one in the same and supper was the evening meal! We can all agree that the meal in the morning is still breakfast right?

I prefer "morning meal"

Dinner-evening meal

Lunch-noon meal

I always thought of supper as a more country term. When I worked on a friends farm it was

Breakfast: Morning meal around 5:30am

Coffee break: Light meal around 9, sandwiches and sweet rolls.

Dinner: Large noon meal, roast, potatoes etc., typically the largest meal of the day

Lunch: Mid afternoon meal, left overs from noon meal, typically made into sandwiches and brought to the field by the women folk around 3

Supper: Left overs from noon meal, with additional protein if needed. around 6-7 depending on what chores needed to be done.

Don't some Virginians pronounce Norfolk, Nor-fuk? I thought I had heard that somewhere.

I know people that say crick and warsh and use "dinner" for lunch. I don't say any of those.

I do use "salty" when referring to sports teams, but I've heard that from other people around the country, so I'm not sold on that being Nebraska-only.

Norfolk Virginia is pronounced Nor-fuk in that area. In fact their school chant is "We don't smoke, we don't drink, Nor fuk, Nor fuk.

• Fire 3

Nordt, instead of North, dont hear it often. Davenport isn't just a town i Iowa, it's also a couch.

My siblings and I laugh all the time because our parents are the only ones that we know of that go shopping for a davenport for their living room.

I think back east, a Davenport is some kind of small desk or table.

My granny called them davenports. I think I recall looking it up and it was a popular brand of couch in the Sears catalog (or something). So it's sort of like kleenex.

Edit: "Davenport is the name of a series of sofas made by the now-defunct Massachusetts furniture manufacturer A. H. Davenport Company. Due to the popularity of the furniture at the time, the name "Davenport" has become a genericized trademark, like Kleenex."

Which reminds me.....many people look at you funny if you use the word "couch" instead of "sofa".

Like I said, every area of the country has strange words for certain things.

Don't some Virginians pronounce Norfolk, Nor-fuk? I thought I had heard that somewhere.

I know people that say crick and warsh and use "dinner" for lunch. I don't say any of those.

I do use "salty" when referring to sports teams, but I've heard that from other people around the country, so I'm not sold on that being Nebraska-only.

Norfolk Virginia is pronounced Nor-fuk in that area. In fact their school chant is "We don't smoke, we don't drink, Nor fuk, Nor fuk.

Well....that doesn't sound like a fun place to live.

Dinner has a weird etymology. The word literally means every single thing you could think of it meaning depending on the culture. Generally speaking, though, it just refers to the most significant meal of the day (whichever that happens to be).

Which is pretty much how I am used to using as described in my earlier post.

pop is not only Nebraskan, more of a region thing and when we say "the river" we mean the Nemaha river! oh and "shar" for shower.

Pop is actually one that I take offense to. I get teased by my nieces all the time that grew up on the East coast because they think "soda" is more correct. In reality, this all started with the term "Soda Pop". So, we chose to shorten it to "pop" and they decided to use "soda". Why is one more correct than the other one?

One that absolutely drives me crazy because my wife is from that area so I hear it all the time is "Norfork" for referring to a certain town in the north east part of the state. People...it is spelled "NORFOLK". There is not a second "R" in the word.

I was raised by two English teachers and mispronunciations or misuse of words drive me crazy.

Problem is, for some reason I still suck at spelling and punctuation.

Maybe if you knew where the name came from it would make more sense. The colony had been settled on the north fork of the Elkhorn River. So the original name was North Fork, or something similar. It somehow got named Norfolk when it became a city.

I taught school in Norfolk for 16 years. You are mostly correct. The story goes that it was called Norfork as in North Fork of Elkhorn River. Kinda like a Noreaster storm. Anyway the story goes that when the town registered or whatever they do in Washington DC they thought it was a typo and changed the spelling to Norfolk like Norfolk, Virginia.

My mother always did and always will call a sofa a davenport.

pop is not only Nebraskan, more of a region thing and when we say "the river" we mean the Nemaha river! oh and "shar" for shower.

Pop is actually one that I take offense to. I get teased by my nieces all the time that grew up on the East coast because they think "soda" is more correct. In reality, this all started with the term "Soda Pop". So, we chose to shorten it to "pop" and they decided to use "soda". Why is one more correct than the other one?

One that absolutely drives me crazy because my wife is from that area so I hear it all the time is "Norfork" for referring to a certain town in the north east part of the state. People...it is spelled "NORFOLK". There is not a second "R" in the word.

I was raised by two English teachers and mispronunciations or misuse of words drive me crazy.

Maybe if you knew where the name came from it would make more sense. The colony had been settled on the north fork of the Elkhorn River. So the original name was North Fork, or something similar. It somehow got named Norfolk when it became a city.

I taught school in Norfolk for 16 years. You are mostly correct. The story goes that it was called Norfork as in North Fork of Elkhorn River. Kinda like a Noreaster storm. Anyway the story goes that when the town registered or whatever they do in Washington DC they thought it was a typo and changed the spelling to Norfolk like Norfolk, Virginia.

In Missouri, a davenport/sofa/couch is called patio furniture!
  • Fire 1

In Missouri, a davenport/sofa/couch is called patio furniture!

In West Virginia it's firewood.