SIGNED OG Tanner Farmer

I love seeing future Huskers being all in even before they get here. It reminds me of how Burkhead came in and was Red from the start. Tanner could be a legend before he leaves here but I'd be happy with a three time all Big 10 and 2 time All American. Seriously I hope he has a great career and has the best 4 or 5 years of his life.

Wouldnt suprise me if he starts next year at guard or center. If he continues to work on his feet and technique he will be tough not to have on the field. My only concern is his footwork, our O-line does alot of trapping, pulling and some reach blocks...other than that I cant imagine Tanner not making an impact early in his Cornhusker career.

He said in an interview that he thinks he will redshirt next year.

I'd be shocked if he didn't redshirt. We return cotton, reeves and moudy at guard. While only cotton is a (somewhat) known entity, all will be upper class men. That's not even counting kondolo, who might be a center. Farmer looks good, possibly good enough to get some snaps as a true frosh, but starting as a true freshman is extremely unlikely and there's no point burning a redshirt if you're not starting (or the only quality back-up available).

I'd be shocked if he didn't redshirt. We return cotton, reeves and moudy at guard. While only cotton is a (somewhat) known entity, all will be upper class men. That's not even counting kondolo, who might be a center. Farmer looks good, possibly good enough to get some snaps as a true frosh, but starting as a true freshman is extremely unlikely and there'sr no point burning a redshirt if you're not starting (or the only quality back-up available).

Agree here. He will see significant time as a RS frosh. No need to use him as a freshman.

If he's better, then absolutely. The chances though that an 18 year old freshmen is physically better than a 21-22 year old lineman are slim, not to mention having better technique and knowing what to do on a given play.

Moore only started because of injury and then barely played once marcel jones was healthy. Still an impressive accomplishment though. The list of true freshmen that have started at NU is pretty short and I expect it to stay that way now that we've finally rebuilt depth on the line after the Callahan years.

I'd be shocked if he didn't redshirt. We return cotton, reeves and moudy at guard. While only cotton is a (somewhat) known entity, all will be upper class men. That's not even counting kondolo, who might be a center. Farmer looks good, possibly good enough to get some snaps as a true frosh, but starting as a true freshman is extremely unlikely and there's no point burning a redshirt if you're not starting (or the only quality back-up available).

My thought is that if the coaches see instantly that he is the heir apparent at Center and they believe he will or even might beat out Thurston in a year then I think they would want to get him in there some.

My thought is that if the coaches see instantly that he is the heir apparent at Center and they believe he will or even might beat out Thurston in a year then I think they would want to get him in there some.

Unless it is substantial playing time u don't pull a shirt. He practices everyday so u can develop technique and knowledge playbook without playing him. Player development takes place during the week, not gameday.

Recruiting roundup: Farmer's stock rising

13 hours ago • BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

<snip>The Nebraska recruit from Highland, Ill., came in at 6-foot-3 and 302 pounds, then proceeded to post some of the best testing numbers of any offensive lineman there and win way more one-on-one battles than he lost against elite D-line prospects.

“Coming out there, I thought he’d do well, but you never know with a guy stepping up the competition level that much,” said Allen Trieu, a national recruiting analyst for FoxSportsNext who attended the event. “And he definitely proved he belongs with the best in the country. I thought, if you looked at the top group of top offensive lineman, I thought he definitely would have been in the top 10.”

LINK

LJS Article by Christopherson about Farmer attending Nike's "The Opening" football camp in Oregon. I think highlights of the camp will be on espn.