Projected Starting Line Up

I just don't see Cross not having a larger role in the offense this year, given the work he has put in during the off-season. I am most interested to see the defensive improvement throughout the year. This defense has a chance to be pretty damn good by the end of conference play. The athletic ability, and potential is obviously there, so lets hope the offense can cover for them the first half of the year....

• Fire 3

TA should get a lot of snaps in between the UCLA and Michigan game. I don't care if Kellogg is number 2, you get the future the snaps.

As long as people don't have unrealistic expectations with this. Given Martinez stays healthy and plays well, the backup will unlikely play unless Nebraska leads three-to-four scores against an inferior opponent and it's the fourth quarter. A two-to-three score lead against a conference opponent will unlikely be enough to bring in the backup unless there's only a few minutes left. And the quality of opponent impacts this as well.

I would simply caution people that we aren't going to throw the backup into the game unless we're in a very comfortable position, and that's just how these things typically work, and I'm OK with it.

TA should get a lot of snaps in between the UCLA and Michigan game. I don't care if Kellogg is number 2, you get the future the snaps.

As long as people don't have unrealistic expectations with this. Given Martinez stays healthy and plays well, the backup will unlikely play unless Nebraska leads three-to-four scores against an inferior opponent and it's the fourth quarter. A two-to-three score lead against a conference opponent will unlikely be enough to bring in the backup unless there's only a few minutes left. And the quality of opponent impacts this as well.

I would simply caution people that we aren't going to throw the backup into the game unless we're in a very comfortable position, and that's just how these things typically work, and I'm OK with it.

I agree with you, however I don't see a team in between UCLA and MU that we shouldn't be able to just out-coach, out-play, and out-athlete. We couldn't have a better schedule for a situation to get an inexperienced QB reps.

I agree with you, however I don't see a team in between UCLA and MU that we shouldn't be able to just out-coach, out-play, and out-athlete. We couldn't have a better schedule for a situation to get an inexperienced QB reps.

You're right. We should be 6-1 at worst heading into the game against Northwestern, but other than UCLA, Northwestern is the only team prior to Michigan that could and has any reason to beat Nebraska. They've has played the Huskers tough the last two years and I expect them to do the same again. I think Fitzgerald is a pretty good coach.

Defense is going to be the determining factor this year, which goes without saying. Will our lack of experience affect our ability to take and maintain a lead, or will the young talent stay consistent despite growing pains? I'm really interested to see how they perform against UCLA, because they really can't get much worse than what happened in Pasadena last year.

I'm still firmly on the Newby and Taylor bandwagon... more so Newby.

I think that Newby will have a longer adjustment period to CFB than Taylor.

Ya, the college game is different, can't do as much east-west running and juking as in high school. Have to also find the seam, lower your shoulder and take what is there. Look no further than how they wanted to shirt Green and how much more effective AA was as a soph after putting some meat on his bones and implimenting a more physical style. Newby is great but stylewise Taylor is more college-ready.

Taylor is more college ready, but Newby isn't that far behind and I wouldn't compare Newby to Green or even Abdullah. I think Newby will be in the same role that Abdullah had when he was a freshman. A kick returner and punt returner with some carries on offense. While Taylor is the more college ready to be a featured back, Newby is probably the most athletic back that we will have on the team.

I find it hard to think that either of them will be redshirted.

Taylor is more college ready, but Newby isn't that far behind and I wouldn't compare Newby to Green or even Abdullah. I think Newby will be in the same role that Abdullah had when he was a freshman. A kick returner and punt returner with some carries on offense. While Taylor is the more college ready to be a featured back, Newby is probably the most athletic back that we will have on the team.

I find it hard to think that either of them will be redshirted.

Newby is a great talent but stylewise the comparison is valid, adjustment will be needed before becoming an every-down type back. I don't see him shirting either, just noted that Green should've shirted in furthering the high school vs college style argument. I agree that Newby likely does have the role AA had as a frosh, and he should do well at that.

I agree with newby taking longer to adjust then Taylor. I do think we will see newby make a large impact as a returner. Now as far as starting positions go I really think we should keep an eye on the safety position this year. Charles Jackson and Jonathan rose can both play there and Nathan Gerry and drake Martinez will push them all in year one.

DJ Singleton. Boom.

I see Newby as a force on the wheel route to catch some passes. He is the running back version of TMart. Give him a step and the guy will kill you. I see him as a Roy Helu. Out of the shotgun. The Zone read with him and TMart.... That gives me a chub... Speed. Hot, sweetly, nasty, badass speed....

Helms I stole part of yours to save time.

QB: 1. Martinez 2. Armstrong 3. Stanton 4. Kellogg

RB: 1. Abdullah 2. Cross 3. Taylor/Newby - I think people under estimate Cross. He is probably the hardest worker on the team & is freakishly strong.

FB: 1. Zimmerer 2. Janovich

WR1: 1. Enunwa 2. T. Allen

WR2: 1. Turner 2. Moore

WR3: 1. Bell 2. Westerkamp

TE: 1. J. Long 2. Cotton 3. Sutton

LT: 1. Qvale 2. Finnin

LG: 1. Cotton 2. Kondolo

C: 1. Pensick 2. Thurston 3. Pelini

RG: 1. S. Long 2. Moudy/Reeves

RT: 1. Sirles 2. Sterup

DE: 1. Ankrah 2. Natter

DT: 1. Randle 2. Williams

DT: 1. Valentine 2. Curry 3.Nickens/Collins

DE: 1.Gregory 2. McMullen 3. Moss 4. Gangwish

LB: 1. Z. Anderson 2. Roach

LB: 1. Santos 2. Rose 3. Love

LB: 1. Afalava 2. Brown

CB: 1. Seisay 2. J. Rose

CB: 1. Mitchell 2. Green 3. SJB

Nickel: 1. C. Evans 2. Davie

FS: 1. H. Jackson 2. C.Jackson

SS: 1. Cooper 2. Singleton/Gerry

KR: Newby/Turner

PR: Newby or Turner

Helms I stole part of yours to save time.

QB: 1. Martinez 2. Armstrong 3. Stanton 4. Kellogg

RB: 1. Abdullah 2. Cross 3. Taylor/Newby - I think people under estimate Cross. He is probably the hardest worker on the team & is freakishly strong.

FB: 1. Zimmerer 2. Janovich

WR1: 1. Enunwa 2. T. Allen

WR2: 1. Turner 2. Moore

WR3: 1. Bell 2. Westerkamp

TE: 1. J. Long 2. Cotton 3. Sutton

LT: 1. Qvale 2. Finnin

LG: 1. Cotton 2. Kondolo

C: 1. Pensick 2. Thurston 3. Pelini

RG: 1. S. Long 2. Moudy/Reeves

RT: 1. Sirles 2. Sterup

DE: 1. Ankrah 2. Natter

DT: 1. Randle 2. Williams

DT: 1. Valentine 2. Curry 3.Nickens/Collins

DE: 1.Gregory 2. McMullen 3. Moss 4. Gangwish

LB: 1. Z. Anderson 2. Roach

LB: 1. Santos 2. Rose 3. Love

LB: 1. Afalava 2. Brown

CB: 1. Seisay 2. J. Rose

CB: 1. Mitchell 2. Green 3. SJB

Nickel: 1. C. Evans 2. Davie

FS: 1. H. Jackson 2. C.Jackson

SS: 1. Cooper 2. Singleton/Gerry

KR: Newby/Turner

PR: Newby or Turner

My guess is that Stanton won't even put on a uniform during game days this year.