Projected Starting Line Up

Imani's stats are difficult to decipher because of the situational playcalling.

27 of his 55 carries were either with 1-2 yards or goal to go. That is going to hinder your YPC statistics.

When he was given the ball on first or second down with 8-10 yards to go, he had 23 carries for 138 yards (6.0 YPC). That is pretty darn good.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. Spring game play means practically nothing. It's 1 scrimmage. His situational carries make most of what he did last year skewed for YPC and doesn't give people a 'wow' factor. I think people are jumping on the 'wow' factor of running backs coming out of high school who have posted big gains against...wait for it...other high school kids. Let's wait and see the 2 freshmen play before we crown them with the #2 position....you can bet the coaches will.

Disagree about the Spring game. I think it was telling. He was being used as an every-down back back running our general offense and just didn't stand-out even though he was the only schollie guy on the field. IMO he should be an important part of our O but he is what he is. He should put the mass back on and be a power guy. Find some use for him in packages as fullback and H-back as well. Should be solid on pass-pro too. No doubt he should be getting in there but we'll simply have better-equipped guys to run the wide stuff. Hell Frazier is probably as good an every-down back as Cross.

Two big question marks as two who starts will be answered when we find out:

1) Alex Lewis - will he be part of our team this year?

2) Avery Moss - assuming he isn't convicted to jail for indecency, will Bo allow him to stay and start this season?

Both of these guys could be potential starters.

Avery's not going to jail for flashing the D.

2) Avery Moss - assuming he isn't convicted to jail for indecency, will Bo allow him to stay and start this season?

If we don't end up cutting ties with Lewis, he wouldn't play until the2014 season.

I see us cutting ties with Lewis for slamming a dude's head into a wall before I see Bo not allowing moss to stay or start for exposing himself...That is, if he doesn't go to jail. If he does the max 6 months possible, he's probably outta luck.

If we don't end up cutting ties with Lewis, he wouldn't play until the2014 season.

I see us cutting ties with Lewis for slamming a dude's head into a wall before I see Bo not allowing moss to stay or start for exposing himself...That is, if he doesn't go to jail. If he does the max 6 months possible, he's probably outta luck.

They won't throw a 19 year old kid in jail for 6 months for showing someone his D.

Just that with Taylor we don't KNOW for sure what his work ethic will be. It's all what ifs at this point. But what we do know right now is that Imani works his ass off and wil continue to do that. Whether he will be a career backup or not, I know we have something great with him and whole heartedly believe (being another HS RB) that with his work ethic and from what I saw in his play time last year (VERY rarely fell backwards) and his ypc was trashed due to mostly short yardage attempts, that he will be another Husker great we will talk about in 4 years as someone who just made our team better no matter what his spot is on the depth chart.

Better clarification?

So the fact that Taylor worked with two personal trainers his second semester, one for strength one for speed, for four hours a day means nothing??

Army_Allen, just because someone has a great work ethic, doesn't mean its going to show on the field. How do we know that Imani won't be a bust? We saw 50 carries last year, thats it. IMO, that is not enough to say whether he is above average, especially when he came in late in the game when the defense was already tired. I have been an favor of Imani since he has gotten here, but I was not at all impressed with his ability to run in the spring game. Sure he was going against the better defense, but those weren't all #1 depth chart guys, like we will be facing on Saturdays. The ONLY RB that has proved himself to be a quality back, is Abdullah. Everything after him is up for grabs, and nobody has been a clear #2. IMO, the two freshman have a VERY good chance in overtaking the #2 spot, while Imani will be our 3rd or 4th down guy. There are things you can't teach, and both Taylor and Newby have everything your looking at for your starting RB. Taylor has the size, ability to make players miss, decent speed, ability to run over a defender, great field vision, and a great blocker. Newby is very elusive, extremely fast, ability to make people miss, great field vision, and very good hands, with both of these guys having a track record of great ball handling skills.

Thats 50 more carries then we seen from either of the freshman. Actually 55 carres for 324 yards or 5.9 ypc & 7TD's. 5 of his TD's came in very Big Ten games & he scored two in a come from behind win over Penn St.

There is also more then just speed, size & the abilty to make players miss that will play into who gets more carries or sees the field more. Protecting the ball & pass protection will be a big part. I havent seen one person say how well Newby or Taylor can block. There is also a play book to learn, something that Cross has a full year advantage on.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2012/iowa/five-things-you-should-know-about-imani-cross/article_7bb51f69-6a04-5580-9e37-c7ab304aefc0.html

• Fire 1

It's great that Cross works hard but some of you are starting to sound like broken records. That is not a reason for him to play. If it was, we'd probably have 10 more walk ons starting. I'm not saying the other reasons for Cross to be #2 aren't good, but the fact that he works hard isn't one unless it actually helps him produce results.

He's given more reason for us to believe he'll play and play a lot than reasons that he won't. People who "know" that the freshmen who haven't even had an official practice at Nebraska will jump him are a bit too optimistic and unrealistic in my opinion.

I think the people who don't think Our freshmen will play haven't watched film on either freshmen.

Or watched a Husker game the last couple of years.

You got me...I don't even watch the HUSKER GAMES. I'm so busted. and I never lurk in the recruiting forums and watch film. Hell I didn't even play college football and start 8 games as a sophomore H back!!! I'm so under qualified to even give my opinion. :sarcasm

Anyways, as I said...Cross is more proven than any other RB that hasn't played a single down at Nebraska...and that's a fact.

I think using the term proven just isn't appropriate do describe Cross. Experienced? Yes. But his time and carries last year didn't really prove anything he can do. We may get a chance to see that this year.

I'll add mine.

QB: Martinez 2. Armstrong

HB: Abdullah 2. Newby

FB: Janovich 2. C.J. Zimmerer

WR: Bell 2. The Legend

WR: Enunwa 2. Westercamp

WR:Turner 2. Moore

TE: Jake Long 2. Cotton

LT: Sirles 2. Sterup

LG: Cotton 2. Moudy

C: Pensik 2. Pelini

RG: Long 2. Kondolo

RT: Finnin 2. Qvale

DE: Ankrah 2. Moss

DT: Randle 2. Nickens

DT: Curry/Valentine 2. Collins

DE Gregory 2. McMullen

OLB: Anderson 2. Love

MLB: Santos 2. Roach

OLB: Afalava 2. Brown

CB: Baptiste 2. Rose

CB: Green 2. Davie

FS: Jackson 2. Gerry

SS: Cooper 2. Alexander

I think using the term proven just isn't appropriate do describe Cross. Experienced? Yes. But his time and carries last year didn't really prove anything he can do. We may get a chance to see that this year.

Yeah scoring touchdowns and not fumbling while not complaining about being used as a short down back when you were used to getting toss sweeps over and over again in high school definitely means you've proven nothing.

Okay. So I guess he has proven to be a team player? That means he is a lock for the #2 RB spot? I don't want to argue with you about it. I like Cross as a RB a lot. But my point was that using him sparingly in mop up duty and on a few short yardage 3rd down runs doesn't PROVE anything he can do as a RB if he were suddenly put into the starting role.