OG Alex Lewis

Feel bad for him. None of us were obviously there, but if he was in fact hit, pushed, etc. first, he should have been able to handle it in the way that guys do. Sucks for the victim, but something tells me that if he hadn't been a USAF Academy student (and now recent grad) this wouldn't have been as big of a deal. Don't be picking fights, especially when you haven't had too much to drink, and expect guys to go easy on you. Hope Lewis is able to do well here.

For anyone who doesn't already know, Colorado has VERY strict laws regarding assault. My younger brother goes to school in Colorado and got into a fight about 18 months ago. It started off as a verbal altercation, until the other kid started pushing my brother and made it physical. My brother responded by one punching the kid in the face and breaking his jaw. My brother was doing nothing more than defending himself (and certainly wasn't trying to break the other kid's jaw) but because he broke it and the kid went to the hospital, the state forced the kid to press charges against my brother. My brother's mistake was throwing the first punch (which sounds like Alex's situation). It wasn't considered self defense for this reason.

Long story short he was facing very serious Felony charges for this. He got 18 months prohbation and 120 hours of community service to get a deferred sentence, which he finally finishes next month. Since he hasn't got into any trouble since then, the whole thing is being wiped off his record when he's completed. My point is, it sounds like Alex is in a very similar situation as what happened to my brother and IMO, my brother didn't really do anything wrong. I probably would have done the exact same thing in his situation. Colorado acted like he's a serial killer or somethin though. Alex is probably a good kid and is getting the long, hard d of Colorado law to put some perspective on the situation.

• 5 weeks later...

I wasn't there, but according to the story, he had 22 drinks and then got into a "fight" with a guy 100 pounds lighter than him, slammed the guy's head into a wall then knocked him unconscious by slamming him into a parking kiosk. Not quite your average "two guys rolling around on the bar floor" story.

For anyone who doesn't already know, Colorado has VERY strict laws regarding assault. My younger brother goes to school in Colorado and got into a fight about 18 months ago. It started off as a verbal altercation, until the other kid started pushing my brother and made it physical. My brother responded by one punching the kid in the face and breaking his jaw. My brother was doing nothing more than defending himself (and certainly wasn't trying to break the other kid's jaw) but because he broke it and the kid went to the hospital, the state forced the kid to press charges against my brother. My brother's mistake was throwing the first punch (which sounds like Alex's situation). It wasn't considered self defense for this reason.

Long story short he was facing very serious Felony charges for this. He got 18 months prohbation and 120 hours of community service to get a deferred sentence, which he finally finishes next month. Since he hasn't got into any trouble since then, the whole thing is being wiped off his record when he's completed. My point is, it sounds like Alex is in a very similar situation as what happened to my brother and IMO, my brother didn't really do anything wrong. I probably would have done the exact same thing in his situation. Colorado acted like he's a serial killer or somethin though. Alex is probably a good kid and is getting the long, hard d of Colorado law to put some perspective on the situation.

I had missed this insight until it got bumped. That is good to know.

I wasn't there, but according to the story, he had 22 drinks and then got into a "fight" with a guy 100 pounds lighter than him, slammed the guy's head into a wall then knocked him unconscious by slamming him into a parking kiosk. Not quite your average "two guys rolling around on the bar floor" story.

Not saying its not true, but there are 100 different stories out there and if Alex was defending himself, then so be it. The other guy should have been a better fighter. I don't know the story, so I am not going to judge the kid. It wasn't a felony, so obviously it wasn't something malicious of Alex. Hope to see him on the field and I also hope he learned he has to keep his nose clean. Anything can happen at any given time.

I like the aggressive, beat your ass types on the Oline.

Hell yeah, I miss having some linemen that were walking a razors edge of sanity or psycopathy. We need some guys on our lines are that borderline insane and just want to hurt people, mash them into the ground like RG44 does. I miss watching the Peters and Wistrom absolutely wreck other teams and love every second of it. We need that kind of swagger and aggression again.

• Fire 1