Reestablishing our Edge

EZ-E

We need to regain that swagger on defense that we had in 2009/2010.... I remember how Suh, and Gomes strutted all over the field throughout games because they KNEW how good they were, and they KNEW the other team's offense couldn't do anything about it.... There were some bad boys on that 09 defense, and we need more of that....

Play mean and nasty. When I saw no one on O help Martinez last year after being abused by Borland or when he was getting into the face of the UGA DB (IIRC) I realized that last season, the meanest SOB on our team was Martinez. We need to get mean and nasty. The hey day Blackshirts were mean. Hit you and didn't look back. SUH, Assante etc remind me of the throwback guys. Assante, always good for a penalty, IMO had receivers terrified to catch in the open field. he flat laid the wood. As mentioned above Gomes, Haag, Prince etc..... Ability coupled with nasty (not cheap shots) creates this edge. Hearing that Cotton on the OL plays mean is music as well.

We need to get this edge on both sides.

Play mean and nasty. When I saw no one on O help Martinez last year after being abused by Borland or when he was getting into the face of the UGA DB (IIRC) I realized that last season, the meanest SOB on our team was Martinez. We need to get mean and nasty. The hey day Blackshirts were mean. Hit you and didn't look back. SUH, Assante etc remind me of the throwback guys. Assante, always good for a penalty, IMO had receivers terrified to catch in the open field. he flat laid the wood. As mentioned above Gomes, Haag, Prince etc..... Ability coupled with nasty (not cheap shots) creates this edge. Hearing that Cotton on the OL plays mean is music as well.

Assante would be getting kicked out of at least 2 games this year with the new rules.

Jake Cotton is going to remind a lot of people of Richie Incognito but controlled by his father

I think this team is well on it's way to establishing an edge in the B1G. However, re-establishing our edge nationally is going to require us actually getting over that hump, winning some games of substance, and eliminating the occasional head scratching performances and blowouts. (BTW- I assume "edge" means some sort of advantage over our competition).

Playing with swagger and attitude also comes about through success. The 09 and 10 defense is often mentioned in the swagger discussion. It's pretty darned easy to play with swagger when you've got talented beasts like Suh & Co. on the field. It really is just that simple. Swagger comes from being good- not play with swagger and you'll get good.

Where we're at? Our offense is pretty much there. Our O line needs to take one more small step and really begin controlling the LOS and then we just need to keep reloading and plugging new guys into the system. As far as our defense, I like the looks of what we've got on that side of the ball personnel wise. The past couple of seasons we just didn't have the required athleticism. I don't feel that is an issue any longer however, they do need to begin to turn that corner this season. Due to youth and lack of experience they may not fully arrive this season but I do expect some significant improvement and, if we get that, we are well on our way to regaining that edge.

I liked the original post, original poster. Plus one. And everything's swell, thank you for asking.

We all know about the recruiting obstacles Bo & Co. have to overcome to get Nebraska back to consistently being towards the top of the college football heap. What I liked about this post is it examines what the coaches are doing to overcome those obstacles, instead of just using them as excuses, which has become tedious.

Now, whether or not we're getting under-the-radar guys that are as good or better than the consensus studs of Michigan and Ohio State remains to be seen. That will ultimately be determined on the field and/or in future NFL Drafts.

I agree whole-heartedly with Mr. Accountability's post above. The transition to a new league and the staff changes have really plagued us not just on the field but on the recruiting trail as well. Very soon we will see more stability which in turn will lead to a smoother recruiting process. I feel if we can haul in a couple of big names early on in the process that the pieces should fall into place. Recruits with potential are always great if we're able to develop them, but the 4 and 5 stars are rated that way for a reason. Sure region plays a role but so does talent and we could certainly use the big name recruit to have others follow suit. With that said I do think we are in the right direction in this area. I do feel we need to toe the line on the swagger side though. I'm not talking reverting to a cockiness the levels of Miami, but if we can get back to that intimidation factor we had in '09 when teams were once again afraid to take the field against the Blackshirts, we will be truly back in business.

I honestly think the conference change may have helped our recruiting. Our recruiting classes have been significantly better the last 3 years. Most of that has to do with our coaching staff hitting the trail harder with more emphasis on recruiting. Having high quality bowl games in Florida the last 2 years has also really helped our recruiting in that region. We've benefited greatly from playing in FL and talking with coaches and HS players there.

I'm looking for big things in the near future. If our defense can be better and more consistent than the last 2 years (and for the love of God, please let them be better tacklers) and the offense stops shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers and stupid mistakes, I think there is potential for a B1G championship run this year. I understand that there will probably be growing pains with the defense early in the year, but I expect them to make strides and get better every single week. If that happens, our D may mirror 2008. Really good offense, and a defense that really came into its own by years' end. At the very least, I want to see a new years bowl. BCS would be better.

The wrench that could get thrown in the gears this year is not that our Defense is young. It's that our new found conference foes are probably not thrilled with us. Last years comeback wins against MSU, PSU, and NW likely lit a fire under these teams we must be ready for. The yearly drubbings over Minnesota and Iowa have likely motivated two squads that could be vastly improved. And against Michigan in the Big House, we know how that went last time. Learn from the mistake quickly. Luckily Purdue and Illinois don't have a clue what's in store for them. Unfortunately the B1G hasn't commanded respect the last couple of years and this could hurt our reputation this season. I feel like all our opponents this year will be truly underrated squads and defeating them won't impress the way it should. The only way to command our respect is by blowing people out and shutting people out. This starts with Wyoming and Southern Miss then can be established by crushing UCLA. Lets make this happen.

This defense just needs a leader or two. And I don't just mean these lead by example guys. Yes, lead by example is a great thing, but on the field in the middle of a game it's pretty hard for one guy to be an example when it takes all eleven of you to stop the bleeding when things are going wrong. One guy can't fix it, but he can rally the troops. I want someone vocal out there. Someone who will grab you by the face mask and tell you to get your sh#t together.

The permanent captains might help point is in this direction. Established men who are respected. Who's opinions are respected and isn't afraid to tell another guy to step up.

I think this has a lot to do with when I say that Bo needs to trust his players a bit more, and maybe he is slowly learning to do so. Bo is a highly involved coach. Highly emotionally involved too. I think sometimes he could step back, especially inthe sideline. You rarely see the players chatting it up or gettin hyped. You don't see much excitement at all from the players on the sidelines. Most of the excitement on the sideline is Bo ripping someone a new shitter. I'd like to see the players rallying each other more on and off the field. More teaching and discussion player to player.

I agree whole-heartedly with Mr. Accountability's post above. The transition to a new league and the staff changes have really plagued us not just on the field but on the recruiting trail as well. Very soon we will see more stability which in turn will lead to a smoother recruiting process. I feel if we can haul in a couple of big names early on in the process that the pieces should fall into place. Recruits with potential are always great if we're able to develop them, but the 4 and 5 stars are rated that way for a reason. Sure region plays a role but so does talent and we could certainly use the big name recruit to have others follow suit. With that said I do think we are in the right direction in this area. I do feel we need to toe the line on the swagger side though. I'm not talking reverting to a cockiness the levels of Miami, but if we can get back to that intimidation factor we had in '09 when teams were once again afraid to take the field against the Blackshirts, we will be truly back in business.

Look, I understand there are reasons for struggles. We have been through quite a lot of change over the last few years. At some point though, the EXCUSES have to run out. These players don't give a damn about excuses. There better be guys on this team who are making sure that everyone is hitting the weight room with some focus and energy. There better be dudes holding everyone accountable. There better be leaders making sure everyone wants to take the next step. Everybody has got to want it. EXCUSES aren't gonna do anyone a f'ing bit of good against Ohio St. again this year if Braxton Miller heats up and they decide to stop f'ing around and pour it on. We better be ready to show those MF's we aren't the same team they poured 60 plus on last year.

The time is now. If you aren't putting in the work right now......then don't waste your time thinking about tomorrow. It won't be there for you. Day by day, we get better and better, til we can't be beat, WON'T BE BEAT!

Is it kickoff time yet, cuz we ready!

True, I agree about the excuses. I believe they have already run out. They were ran dry a year ago. There is no excuses anymore. It's put up or shut up time for this program. While we cant logically expect what we really want to this season due to the youth and so on, we do expect to see progress. There's already been a lot of hype coming out of fall camp. That hype better live up. There better be some obvious progress starting this year. The excuses have been run dry. Facilities, staff, settled into the conference, bla, bla, and bla. It's all taken care of. It's time for football. Just football. Plain and simple.