What we learned today...

walksalone

Terrell Newby looked like the best player on the team, not sure if that's a positive, but I'm serious about that.
Newby looked good, he just didn't look fast. At least not Ameer fast.

No, Newby is fast, faster than Ameer. He has track speed, plus has completely natural, great moves and some power. He's the real deal.

At no point did i see Newby running faster than Ameer. I did not say Newby wasn't fast. Maybe its just that Newby doesn't have that initial burst of speed that Ameer does when he gets the ball.

I see Newby as a dodger, Ameer as an all-around back who can run inside and out with power or finesse, and Cross as a Makovicka type crazy bull.

I find it hard to understand the adaption to college level speed. We are supposed to have a top ten offense, that has very fast running backs, top WR's, and one of the best running QB's in the nation. A supposed best Oline in years. How does a defense playing against that level of a team in practice not know college speed. How can they look so overwhelmed. Lost. Most of these kids have been playing football since they were very little, most have played at top level programs, that are prep schools for college. Well coached players. How do they turn into kids that seem to have forgotten the basics of the game when they arrive here.

Our problem is partially talent, but coaching/scheme on the defensive side is the main problem.

We read all summer long how great these young kids were going to be, how improved they were by subtraction. The kool aid flowed, and a lot bought into it.

Now we have played three straight games, giving up 600 yards in each one of them. Had we played a top ten team last night, what would have happened?

I do not want Bo fired, but I want improvement on the defensive coaching side. This has become a trend, a way of life, and most of us that have been around a long time do not understand how it is happening. We have one of the highest paid coaches in the country, and that is for a reason. We want to win, and spare little expense in doing it. Nebraska fan is not getting what they are paying for, Wyoming fan got what they paid for in spades. See, Wisconsin and Georgia.

Time to quit blaming the kids, take some time at other programs that have figured todays offenses out and stopped them. Get help, because it is needed. I have no idea what Southern Miss will bring offensively, but I virtually guarantee UCLA will put 600 plus on us if things remain the same. Not good anyway you look at it.

If UCLA does it, there is no reason not to expect Northwestern, Michigan to do it. The buck stops with Bo, he has made little to no improvement since Wisconsin that I can see. His defenses are worse than Cosgrove by a long ways.

Specific excuses for last night's defensive showing aside:

This is now the fourth season where the television announcers have wondered aloud why the Nebraska defense is not making adjustments when the opposing offense is so clearly and easily gouging them. They also note the frequent confusion the Husker defense has when shuttling in players and play calls. They are not Husker-bashing. One senses they are actually being diplomatic One of them is our own Damon Benning, who sounded like he was muting his own frustration. Opposing quarterbacks have also mentioned -- diplomatically -- how surprised they were that the Husker defense didn't adjust, and so they just kept doing what worked. I think one of them -- Gabbert -- said it was like playing a high school team.

Starting four years ago, the excuse was that we had young players in a new system and the coaches didn't want to make things too complex for them. Four years later that just doesn't wash. On one side of the ball, the coaching staff doesn't appear to trust its own players and Nebraska doesn't appear to be playing major conference football.

• Fire 4

I find it hard to understand the adaption to college level speed. We are supposed to have a top ten offense, that has very fast running backs, top WR's, and one of the best running QB's in the nation. A supposed best Oline in years. How does a defense playing against that level of a team in practice not know college speed. How can they look so overwhelmed. Lost. Most of these kids have been playing football since they were very little, most have played at top level programs, that are prep schools for college. Well coached players. How do they turn into kids that seem to have forgotten the basics of the game when they arrive here.

Our problem is partially talent, but coaching/scheme on the defensive side is the main problem.

We read all summer long how great these young kids were going to be, how improved they were by subtraction. The kool aid flowed, and a lot bought into it.

Now we have played three straight games, giving up 600 yards in each one of them. Had we played a top ten team last night, what would have happened?

I do not want Bo fired, but I want improvement on the defensive coaching side. This has become a trend, a way of life, and most of us that have been around a long time do not understand how it is happening. We have one of the highest paid coaches in the country, and that is for a reason. We want to win, and spare little expense in doing it. Nebraska fan is not getting what they are paying for, Wyoming fan got what they paid for in spades. See, Wisconsin and Georgia.

Time to quit blaming the kids, take some time at other programs that have figured todays offenses out and stopped them. Get help, because it is needed. I have no idea what Southern Miss will bring offensively, but I virtually guarantee UCLA will put 600 plus on us if things remain the same. Not good anyway you look at it.

If UCLA does it, there is no reason not to expect Northwestern, Michigan to do it. The buck stops with Bo, he has made little to no improvement since Wisconsin that I can see. His defenses are worse than Cosgrove by a long ways.

We pressured the QB and he panicked most of the time.....then we laid back and he had his way with us. Linebackers, if there were any on the field, were non-existent. DB's were too far off the receivers most of the time, probably due to the ten minutes a play they had to cover. When our guys were in position, we dominated. Is Charlie McBride available?

If they are so talented, that shouldnt have happened, regardless of experience.

You are implying talent is more important than experience? Did you see the Ohio State or Alabama game? Ohio State replaced one offensive lineman and Buffalo bullied him. Khalil Mack and co. were all over Miller at one point and would've been down a field goal if not for a penalty called on a turnover. Alabama won 35-10 but if you watched it it was not a decisive win. They replaced most of they defense and their offensive line and from a team in VT where most picked them to get blown out in a rebuilding year they actually out gained 'Bama. Not to mentioned Vt had 153 rushing yards while 'Bama had a measly 2.5 yard rushing average. This coming from a team that consistently gets a top 5 recruiting class from a Saban coached team that always comes to play. While I respect talent, you can't overlook experience. First game jitters, the anxiety of a new football season, whatever it may be, this isn't an isolated only 'Nebraska' thing. Dear Husker Nation- It gets better.

All I'm saying is that we should never and I mean never give up 600+ yds and be in a nail biter vs Wyoming. How much do we spend on football? How much does Wyoming spend on football? We should be able to beat Wyoming with our 2nd string--well, hypothetically. But, I have had to accept, this is the 'new' NE, so maybe I'm just pissin' in the wind. There's absolutely no evidence under Bo Pelini that this will "get better" as the year goes on, in fact, there's solid evidence to the contrary(see B1G CCG '12...).

No I agree. 600 yards and a 3 point win isn't something you'd expect from Nebraska. I'm not justifying that we should be alright with this I'm just saying these things happen. Bo and crew will watch the tape and see what we did wrong. For a lot of these younger guys this game is going to be a learning experience more than anything.

Bo and crew won't see what we did wrong. This is the 4th 600+ game is less than a year. What did we do wrong in those games?

I was going to reply, "we got off the bus", but last night, well, it was a home game--no bus. 600: the new normal.

You are implying talent is more important than experience? Did you see the Ohio State or Alabama game? Ohio State replaced one offensive lineman and Buffalo bullied him. Khalil Mack and co. were all over Miller at one point and would've been down a field goal if not for a penalty called on a turnover. Alabama won 35-10 but if you watched it it was not a decisive win. They replaced most of they defense and their offensive line and from a team in VT where most picked them to get blown out in a rebuilding year they actually out gained 'Bama. Not to mentioned Vt had 153 rushing yards while 'Bama had a measly 2.5 yard rushing average. This coming from a team that consistently gets a top 5 recruiting class from a Saban coached team that always comes to play. While I respect talent, you can't overlook experience. First game jitters, the anxiety of a new football season, whatever it may be, this isn't an isolated only 'Nebraska' thing. Dear Husker Nation- It gets better.

This ^

Best post of the thread.

Uh, VT and Wyo hardly make a good comparison to base one's viewpoint, if yer feelin' me here.

On the positive side, JT and Q each had good games, especially their toe dragging, finger tip TD grabs. The Fro' is a stud. SJB looked solid. Gregory looks like he could be scary and Cross is already scary.

Terrell Newby looked like the best player on the team, not sure if that's a positive, but I'm serious about that.

I thought Cross looked like the best player on the team...he looked...well...FAST. Which is a complete 180 from how he looked last year. He was making cuts on a dime...I mean did you see his run with the spin moves? It was like someone was controlling him with an Xbox controller. Not only that, he took the rock 8.1 yards every time he touched it..and Newby had more touches than he did. That's bringing back memories of RB's past if he keeps that up.

Cross looked good, no doubt, and improved, but I expected that from what I saw last year--I knew he was going to be a good one. I said he's going to be better than Leveon Bell of Sparty and caught some flack for that, but it's clear is he--better.

Newby's going to be ridiculous, though.

You probably have never coached in your life. Bo does take some of the blame with not making adjustments but what good would they have done when you have a YOUNG defense that is just getting their feet wet. My kids look like all stars when we scrimmage cause they have an idea on what is going to happen. Different story when it comes to facing opposition that they haven't seen. As far as the 600 yrds, the games last year at the end of the season never should have happened but to lump this year with them is dumb.

On the positive side, JT and Q each had good games, especially their toe dragging, finger tip TD grabs. The Fro' is a stud. SJB looked solid. Gregory looks like he could be scary and Cross is already scary.

I thought Cross looked like the best player on the team...he looked...well...FAST. Which is a complete 180 from how he looked last year. He was making cuts on a dime...I mean did you see his run with the spin moves? It was like someone was controlling him with an Xbox controller. Not only that, he took the rock 8.1 yards every time he touched it..and Newby had more touches than he did. That's bringing back memories of RB's past if he keeps that up.

It looked like Imani did a better job of seeing the holes than other backs, but I wonder if this is because Imani ran primarily up the middle and out line did a better job of creating holes in the middle.

Newby looked good, he just didn't look fast. At least not Ameer fast.

No, Newby is fast, faster than Ameer. He has track speed, plus has completely natural, great moves and some power. He's the real deal.

At no point did i see Newby running faster than Ameer. I did not say Newby wasn't fast. Maybe its just that Newby doesn't have that initial burst of speed that Ameer does when he gets the ball.

Yea, Ameer has probably at better burst, right now, but Newby has legit 4.3 speed, plus better moves. Look at his h.s. film.

This ^

Best post of the thread.

Uh, VT and Wyo hardly make a good comparison to base one's viewpoint, if yer feelin' me here.

Last year 'Bama won the NC. VT went 7-6. 'Bama has an experienced QB, a great RB in Yeldon, talented WRs, and a young defense. See the similarities now?

+1

This ^

Best post of the thread.

Last year 'Bama won the NC. VT went 7-6. 'Bama has an experienced QB, a great RB in Yeldon, talented WRs, and a young defense. See the similarities now?

If it weren't for special teams and a defensive TD, the Bama/VT score wouldn't have looked the way it did.

Sorry, I do not coach football still, did when my kid was small, but have coached and trained Olympic level athletes, ran major off road motorcycle and mountain bike teams. I have an idea of coaching.

This defensive scheme has shown to be the worst ever at the University. How is this game different from the last two last year, other than supposedly a less talented team to play against. The trend is down with last nights game. 600 yard 4 times in less than a year. 4 of the 10 worst games to ever be played by Nebraska. Clownahan was gone after two. We most likely will 3 more this year. If history means anything, we are bound to repeat it with scheme. This game screams change is needed.