Former NFL WR Irving Fryar Indicted For Allegedly Stealing $700,000

GSG

Maybe we just need to stop recruiting these kids with the minor offenses and move up to some more series felons!

We are one or two Lawrence Phillips' away from winning it all....

Maybe.... Might have to mix that in with a couple leg stomps and some illegal blocks :P.

I personally knew Irving Fryar. My son was a friend of his when he attended NU. Really sorry to read about this story. I always thought Irving was a stand up guy. Playing 17 years in the NFL is almost unbelievable. Wonder why he saw fit to want to commit a felony to pad his income? Sad story to say the least.

• Fire 1

I heard him speak at one of the recent spring luncheons before the spring game, he seems like a good guy on the surface, and appeared genuinely grateful for what Dr. Tom had done for him. There have been rumors for decades that he was paid off the lose the Orange Bowl so you never know.

http://www.grantland...984-orange-bowl

The third notable obstacle on this drive was Irving Fryar. Irving Fryar, of course, played for Nebraska. Irving Fryar may have been the best wide receiver in Cornhuskers history. But something weird happened here, and I'm not even sure how to talk about it without casting aspersions on Fryar himself — I have no proof of any foul play, and I'm not sureanyone else does, either — but I have never seen a receiver of Fryar's prodigious abilitydrop a pass in the way he did in the midst of this drive. There he was, streaking across the middle of the field, wide open in the end zone, and Nebraska's quarterback, Turner Gill, hit him directly in the hands. Fryar seemed to bat the ball away as if he were fighting off a rabid squirrel. Equally strange: Fryar went to the ground in the back of the end zone, hands to his helmet, in what I'll just assume was a moment of genuine self-pitying introspection, and a gang of Orange Bowl executives — the guys in the awful, mustard sport coats — leaped up and down and celebrated right next to him. You want a five-second exposé on the inherent corruption of college football's postseason system, you could do worse than that moment right there.

• Fire 1

I watched that 'drop' by Fryar again. I hear more and more about how he sold out. I'm pretty convinced of it now. There's a lot of smoke to not be some fire. He did not even try to catch that pass. Anyone who watches it cannot deny it. His character is not doing much to defend my beliefs that he got paid to do whatever he could to throw the game. It happens in sports all the time, so NU can't pretend to be exempt from something that pathetic. Money talks. I've always hoped that I was wrong in what happened, but that essentially lost Nebraska the National Championship. Quite sad, quite embarrassing. 'Allegedly.' :rolleyes: