We're not gonna be able to lure in that "splash" hire. We just wont. No way we're gonna get the guys with the high stock right now like the Strongs, Briles, and so on. What we would have to do is find that next up and coming Nick Saban or Urban Meyer that are still making their hay in the lower ranks. The next Saban when he was at Toledo. The next Meyer when he was at Bowling Green and Utah. The next Tressel when he was at Youngstown St. and so on. A guy who has cut his teeth as a first time Head Coach at a lower level, gained the experience, and is now motivated to take on the next challenge. Then we get him here, and he gets engrained to the Nebraska culture and so on so that he never wants to leave.

But who knows. It's a little shaky right now, and the jury is still out, but I like to think that Bo is that guys. We just have to deal with him gaining that experience under our watch. And when I get seriously frustrated i have to sit myself back with some perspective and think of the challenges he's had in his nearly 6 years from revamping coaching staffs, to trying to rebuild a special program BEHIND THE SCENES, conference change, anemic offense to anemic defense and now as it appears back to full circle at the moment, battling through some VERY subpar recruiting cycles, and yet, still getting 9-10 wins every year, and 3 conference championship games in 5 years. If you look at it with some perspective, it's hard to argue that we need to stick with him until he gets over the hump or the wheels come off.

Truth.

I agree with Accountability on a lot of what was said. In addition, I have only seen 2 Big splash hires even work out. That is Saban at Alabama and Meyers at Florida/Ohio State.

Other than those 2, the level of success by the "big name" coaches is pretty underwhelming.

Spurrier at South Carolina: 1 SEC championship appearance (loss) and no BCS bowl

Rich Rodriguez: Fired at Michigan

Lane Kiffin: Fired everywhere

Will Muschamp: no CCG appearances. 1 BCS appearance for a loss. Wheels falling off the program.

Ty Willingham: Fired at Notre Dame and Washington

Charlie Weiss: Fired at Notre Dame and Kansas is abysmal.

I am sure there are more successes and failures but I think it shows that there are more that don't go well as opposed to the other way around.

I agree with Accountability on a lot of what was said. In addition, I have only seen 2 Big splash hires even work out. That is Saban at Alabama and Meyers at Florida/Ohio State.

Other than those 2, the level of success by the "big name" coaches is pretty underwhelming.

Spurrier at South Carolina: 1 SEC championship appearance (loss) and no BCS bowl

Will Muschamp: no CCG appearances. 1 BCS appearance for a loss. Wheels falling off the program.

I am sure there are more successes and failures but I think it shows that there are more that don't go well as opposed to the other way around.

To compare to a potential hiring of Tressel, you can remove all of the names but Spurrier, Saban, and Meyer. No one else has close the resume to be the same caliber hire. 2 of those 3 are working out splendidly and you could argue that Spurrier has been pretty successful also when you consider what he started with. That kind of track record of success leaves me to believe that a similar hire, i.e. Tressel, would have great odds in resulting in a high level of success.

To compare to a potential hiring of Tressel, you can remove all of the names but Spurrier, Saban, and Meyer. No one else has close the resume to be the same caliber hire. 2 of those 3 are working out splendidly and you could argue that Spurrier has been pretty successful also when you consider what he started with. That kind of track record of success leaves me to believe that a similar hire, i.e. Tressel, would have great odds in resulting in a high level of success.

My point was that at the time of their hires, these coaches were the "Big Splash". They don't pan out all that well.

Spurrier had 33 losses in his first 6 years at South Carolina. We are having a discussion about getting rid of a coach that has 22 so far in his 6th year.

• Fire 1

Mr. Accountability;

Like you, I hoped / wished / wish; Bo was/is the one to get our FB program back to where it belongs. I truly like this guy and love his black and white approach and think he is genuinely concerned for the kids. My concern is that he has not learned the lessons of an H/C (or is just too damn stubborn) with regards to the program and has played the loyalty card with coaches and players from the get go which has hampered his tenure here!

I am not calling for his head here but I am not going to dismiss all the things we have seen over the years and as recently as the Minnesota game either just because he won at the Big House. If we come out and play well the next 3 – 4 or 5 games (win or lose), I would be willing to consider that he may have learned something truly important the past pew weeks and may get the ship righted.

At this time, I would say he is still under evaluation for his H/C position. Has he earned a little latitude for what he has accomplished as he stated he has earned after the releasing of the recording incident? Yes, this is why he is still here but he is playing on borrowed time IMO. Like others have stated, it may be that he just needs to ditch his loyalty card and terminate Pap and or Beck and get some leadership that can help him take the next step. However, if he can't see the forest for the trees or just downright refuses to terminate a coordinator because of his relationships, it would not bode well for the perception people have of him!

As for Tressel, I know some people think he is Satan but his professional resume is valuable. Would we look past his indiscretions? Not known to me but I do not feel his Tat gate (as it has been called) was something so dramatic that he should not be considered especially since his actions (if ever hired as a HC again) will be under the micro-scope by the University he goes too as well as by the NCAA. To get beyond that 5 game suspension, I suspect the proper procedures could be put into play with very little complexity!

Is he the right coach to hire for Nebraska if Bo and the "U" depart ways; that is only a question that SE and HP can decide (along with our super boosters!)?

StPaulHusker; the coaches RR, LK, WM, TW and CW, I never did feel they were a splash hire. They are not in the same category as Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Jim Tressel IMO. Spurrior, well he is a tweener somewhere between the Nick Saban, Urban Meyers and the rest.

i think meyer at osu and saban at alabama have been the only safe choices in a long time (as long as i can remember).

saban already proved himself at lsu and meyer already proved himself at fla. (not to mention, meyer has benefited by great recruiting from the previous guy. say what you will of zook, he left the cabinets full for meyer. and meyer left after he emptied them).

i think meyer at osu and saban at alabama have been the only safe choices in a long time (as long as i can remember).

saban already proved himself at lsu and meyer already proved himself at fla. (not to mention, meyer has benefited by great recruiting from the previous guy. say what you will of zook, he left the cabinets full for meyer. and meyer left after he emptied them).

Zook is a great recruiter, would love to have him on our staff in some sort recruiting position. H/C no thanks, coordinator ~ I dunno, doubt he an Bo would be on same page regarding play?

Hiring Tressel, is like nailing a girl that you'll know will give you the clap...

My man. Straight laughing my ass off. +infinity

Hiring Tressel, is like nailing a girl that you'll know will give you the clap...

It is always nice to hear some applause after.

the sun shine's on a dog's ass every once in a while...

Another thing we have to keep in perspective is that coaches are humans with real feelings. Motivation has to come in question. St Paul's post triggered this interesting line of thought. Those unsuccessful "splash" hire were guys who cut teeth, got the big job, the big paycheck, and then you have to wonder what their motivation is. It's all over -not just sports, but-society in general. You work work and work to get up to a certain point then you get there, and all a sudden complacency sets in a bit. Guys like Saban that keep plugging away and raising the bar are so far between, that I wonder if the guy is even human at times. Cant stand him. hell no. But you can't question his accomplishments, even with the SEC cheating this and that, and his backing into championship games after losing home games in November 2 years in a row and so on and so on. At some point you reach the pinnacle of motivation and you either flatline, or plummet. Most of em plummet. That's why I would rather find the young, motivated guy who has something to prove.

Good point about the motivation.

One might make the argument that Tressel would have some motivation. The big question would be at his age, how long would it last?

I didnt get far enough as to say that I do think Tressel would be motivated. Not for Nebraska but for himself, in an effort to try to "right" his wounded legacy. Nebraska, or anyone else for that matter, would be a beneficiary of that sure. But like you said. How long would it last. This program would need to find a long term solution.

I think taking Coach Tressel would be a good move if Bo has to leave. He would bring solid knowledge of the HC position to the program, and like some have said due to his age, most likely not a long term. That might entice a certain you OC to become a coach in waiting, with a hand in the overall operation. I would think that would be getting best of both worlds.

And if I remember correctly, Coach Tressel had some fears about physical retaliation to himself and his players from this individual, threats were made.

Yea he told a lie. Wonder what Tom said, when they were looking for a gun? Wonder what Bob said when the gas station was robbed. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones. Coaches protecting their adopted kids is part of the deal.

If Coach Tressel had just said yes, he would still have his job. Mistake, but there were reasons for that mistake. He is paying for it, and should have the opportunity to come back to coaching if he so desires. As far as taking a new up and comer, we already tried that. Still hoping it works, but Tresel fits what this program needs.