Imani Cross should start this week

I am thinking spread em out as well. Cross is good and I could even understand people wanting him to go in at the FB spot. But I think closing in the formation with double tights and that kind of thing plays into the hands of MSU. They seem to be a plodding defense with punch. Not a fast defense. Out in space, it's more likely to be advantage NU.

Just no, OP

Cross hasn't looked impressive since at all since the start of the season and Ameer is having an all-conference year. With our line being banged up like they are and MSU's defense being so physical, we are going to need a guy like Ameer who can find a tiny crease and hit it at 100mph. Ramming a guy like Cross into their line over and over is exactly what Michigan tried and it didn't exactly work out for them

We're gonna need our pass game if we want to beat MSU. We won't be able to pound the rock every down. I'd say 65% Run 35% pass should make for a good combination. But if MSU starts putting us in 3rd and longs while we're trying to run on first and second downs then we're gonna have to pass more earlier in the downs as the game progresses. It may then turn into a balanced offense for the game. MSU's D has my respect.

Imani Cross showed breakaway speed a year ago. He hasn't seemed to be able to turn on that extra gear so far this season, but I'm waiting for it to happen. I still think he has it.

No. No he did not.

I will take "Idiotic suggestions" for $1000, Alex.

+1

Starter at running back is about as irrelevant as starters on defense and WR. They rotate so often every few plays and situationally that it really doesnt matter. One thing I would like to see is use the tendancies we've generated over the first 9 games with certain personel groupings against them. I really dont think we do that enough. Like when Cross is in the game, theyre thinking we're just gonna slam him straight ahead, and what do you know? We do. We play right into the defense's anticipation way too many times. We need to start using that against them.

Agreed with this. Where is the offense we saw in the Capital One Bowl against Georgia? What the hell was the point of that month of practicing if we were only going to trot out that extremely effective, versatile, deadly offense one game ever and then scrap all of it come the next season?

No he shouldn't. Now seriously, can we all agree we should not comment on this anymore so it moves on down the thread order and is never seen or heard of again. I mean, if you don't think Ameer can handle the rock all damn day for us then you haven't been watching. One of the best in the nation. PERIOD.

The past several years, I have watched us do some pretty stupid things ie vanilla on O, playing/not playing certain guys, play calling etc. I would hope that this was done to not put "stuff" on film so opposing teams couldn't prepare. Unfortunately, year 6 this does not appear to be the case.

I would like to see a heavy dose of things we really haven't shown. The diamond, misdirection, traps, jet sweep and the FB. Use Cross as a decoy. When they crowd the box, go deep. Use some movement and motion. It confuses us, it might do the same to them.

This, IMO, is the hardest of our remaining games. I would let it all hang out and put it all on film. Look at what we haven't shown yet and get about 10 basic plays that can attack their weakness and run them from 10 different looks. Kind of like some other guy I used to watch would do. Really work on these plays until we can do them in our sleep. Lastly, if it works, don't stop. Pound the rock and show them that their stats are an aberration, that this is NU and we friggin run on anyone. Break their will at the one thing they think they are the best in the nation at. Nothing like seeing your "best" get beaten.

Got your attention. But hear me out. We expect this weeks game against MSU to be a defensive battle. We have a young quarterback. They are going to stack the box and dare us to pass. I suggest we not take the bait. Start Imani, ground and pound it the whole first half. Dive A gap, B gap, C, gap, D gap, and repeat.

This would result in A gap, B gap, C gap, Punt.

The past several years, I have watched us do some pretty stupid things ie vanilla on O, playing/not playing certain guys, play calling etc. I would hope that this was done to not put "stuff" on film so opposing teams couldn't prepare. Unfortunately, year 6 this does not appear to be the case.

I would like to see a heavy dose of things we really haven't shown. The diamond, misdirection, traps, jet sweep and the FB. Use Cross as a decoy. When they crowd the box, go deep. Use some movement and motion. It confuses us, it might do the same to them.

This, IMO, is the hardest of our remaining games. I would let it all hang out and put it all on film. Look at what we haven't shown yet and get about 10 basic plays that can attack their weakness and run them from 10 different looks. Kind of like some other guy I used to watch would do. Really work on these plays until we can do them in our sleep. Lastly, if it works, don't stop. Pound the rock and show them that their stats are an aberration, that this is NU and we friggin run on anyone. Break their will at the one thing they think they are the best in the nation at. Nothing like seeing your "best" get beaten.

Speaking of things we haven't shown, I would like to see AA run behind a FB.