What will it take to beat Iowa?

ladyhawke

Anyone that thinks they are a "bad team" are fooling themselves. They have a good running back in Weisman, simliar to PSU's running back, their LB's are VERY good and their defense is ranked fairly high, somewhere in the teens I believe. While our offense is ranked higher than their's they will capitalize on turnovers that we give them, which is only a given at this point given our history. I see this as a grinder type of game, Iowa will keep it close, we won't be beating them by 20+ points probably more like 5 or something along those lines. It's gonna take pounding the rock, controlling turnovers and stopping the run. The good thing is their QB is a pocket type passer and we normally do pretty well against those types of passers. Ruddock, their QB, will take what the defense gives him if the pass isn't there so containment will lock him in that pocket.

Anyone that thinks they are a "bad team" are fooling themselves. They have a good running back in Weisman, simliar to PSU's running back, their LB's are VERY good and their defense is ranked fairly high, somewhere in the teens I believe. While our offense is ranked higher than their's they will capitalize on turnovers that we give them, which is only a given at this point given our history. I see this as a grinder type of game, Iowa will keep it close, we won't be beating them by 20+ points probably more like 5 or something along those lines. It's gonna take pounding the rock, controlling turnovers and stopping the run. The good thing is their QB is a pocket type passer and we normally do pretty well against those types of passers. Ruddock, their QB, will take what the defense gives him if the pass isn't there so containment will lock him in that pocket.

They had four turnovers last week against Michigan. He made some bad mistakes. Hopefully the French Interception machine can take advantage of that.

Less than it took to win in Happy Valley. Their offense is garbage. If we start RK it will keep their defense worried enough about the pass to let AA pile up yards.

Basically, solid smart QB play(doesnt have to be great) and control turnovers and this game won't be close.

However with our normal minimum of two crucial turnovers you are probably lookin at a one score game either way.

If they trot Weisman out there more than Canzeri and Bullock I like the odds. Ruddock will throw the ball to red Jerseys, just always know where Fiedorowicz is every pass attempt.

Offensively a healthy TA(which is pretty doubtful at this point) would be a better starter than RKIII . There are many yards to be had getting outside when running against them. Any plan like last Saturday of trying to get yards with Ameer out of the gun with the read look will make for a long day. Herky is pretty stout up the gut.

I believe similar to Penn State attack. Both teams showed a bulldozer backs, stationary QB and defense linemen were pretty good.

In common:

Hawkeyes 24, Gophers 7 @ Minneapolis

MSU 26, Hawkeyes 14 @ Iowa City

Hawkeyes 17, NW 10 @ Iowa City

Hawkeyes 38, Purdue 14 @ W.Lafayette

Hawkeyes 24, Michigan 21 @ Iowa City

Sagarin Predictor: Huskers favored but only 1 point. BTW, Husker vs Penn State ........... Sagarin said pick em (even)

Less than it took to win in Happy Valley.

Basically, solid smart QB play(doesnt have to be great) and control turnovers and this game won't be close.

I don't think so, man. Let's compare Iowa, Penn State and Nebraska conference results, shall we?

Nebraska:

Illinois - W 39-19

Purdue - W 44-7

Minnesota - L 23-34

Northwestern - W 27-24

Michigan - W 17-13

Michigan State - L 28-41

Penn State - W 23-20

Penn State:

Indiana - L 24-44

Michigan - W 43-40

Ohio State - L 14-63

Illinois - W 24-17

Minnesota - L 10-24

Purdue - W 45-21

Nebraska - L 20-23

Iowa:

Minnesota - W 23-7

Michigan State - W 26-14

Ohio State - L 24-34

Northwestern - W 17-10

Wisconsin - L 9-28

Purdue - W 38-14

Michigan - W 24-21

BRI is right - they are a much better football team than any Nebraska fan with big-brother mentality is going to believe.

They are better than Penn State, and just as good as if not better than us. (on paper)

When I said less then it took in Happy Valley that's exactly what I meant. We were playing in bad weather in a very hostile charged atmosphere and had turnovers that amounted to a 14 point swing in the game. There was a lot of stuff to overcome in that game.

That's what I meant by the Happy Valley statement. It's not as easy as comparing teams on paper in a vacuum.

Personally, I've seen enough of Iowa this year that I don't see as big a threat on our field unless we hand the ball over again this week. Obviously if we do, don't plan on getting a jump on traffic because it will go to the end.

I agree. We take this game lightly and it will be Minny all over again. Iowa beat Minnesota -We didn't. I think this is going to be a tough game. The Heroes Game will finally be worth watching.

And Michigan destroyed Minny iirc. Comparing common opponents on paper is rarely as helpful as you think. Every game has its own set of circumstances. Do you think the Nebraska team that went into Michigan and ended a 19 game home winning streak loses to Minny? Different day, different circumstances different outcome.

Nebraska isn't good enough to beat anyone if they take them lightly. But Iowa can't beat our best effort on our field IMO

• Fire 2