New DB Coach Search

You must've missed the part in the comment you quoted where I said he was as intellectually great as he was naturally gifted. If you disagree with that, you're wrong. I also believe he was very well known for this. Not sure, it's been awhile, but I think he had a reputation as being "football smart" and book smart. You're comment may have applied to Dawkins or Bullocks, maybe even Warfield, but in this case, I don't think you could be more off base with the guy you chose to comment about. Brown strikes me as the great type to coach. Those years of NFL experience count for quite a bit too.

Ok, you bring up a good point of a Brown being "smart". Since he was so smart, he was probably able to understand complex defenses. But, just because he was so smart, does that give him the ability to be a good "teacher"? Does he have the ability to communicate the important details to young kids who might not be "as smart". I understand Brown is trying to get into the coaching business, but is a position coach at a major football program the best "first step"? If he's really interested in coaching, he can get a start as an intern, GA, or position coach at a smaller program.

It's confirmed Coach Joseph is gone. Best of luck to him, but we need to counter with a replacement quickly. It was mentioned that Benning said there are 2 canidates and one has previous history coaching here. Who do you guys want? If Sanders has figured stuff out I would take him in a heartbeat.

Names being thrown around:

Marvin Sanders

Eric Warfield

Mike Minter

Feel free to add others.

Can we PLEASE stop asking for him to come back. He is NOT coming back...EVER!!!!!

Please- let's bring him back. He got great results just don't give him a credit card again.

It's confirmed Coach Joseph is gone. Best of luck to him, but we need to counter with a replacement quickly. It was mentioned that Benning said there are 2 canidates and one has previous history coaching here. Who do you guys want? If Sanders has figured stuff out I would take him in a heartbeat.

Marvin Sanders

Eric Warfield

Mike Minter

Feel free to add others.

Can we PLEASE stop asking for him to come back. He is NOT coming back...EVER!!!!!

Umm....are you sure? B/c I good sources saying he's definitely in the picture. Many people think they know why he left the first time, but what most think isn't actually it. The fact is, he was never in trouble, he never did anything criminal then or since.

Borderline criminal, definalty unethical and disgusting. No thanks.

Marvin Sanders

Eric Warfield

Mike Minter

Feel free to add others.

Please- let's bring him back. He got great results just don't give him a credit card again.

LMAO....so true.

My only beef with Marvin, because it's a name many have mentioned not only here but in conversations I've had, is he really better start pulling some weight on the recruiting trails. Again this patth is all dependent on the admin.

Will not be surprised one bit if this gig eventually is presented to Cassidy, two or three others pass.

And the Mike Minter hopes can end now from all I've been told

You must've missed the part in the comment you quoted where I said he was as intellectually great as he was naturally gifted. If you disagree with that, you're wrong. I also believe he was very well known for this. Not sure, it's been awhile, but I think he had a reputation as being "football smart" and book smart. You're comment may have applied to Dawkins or Bullocks, maybe even Warfield, but in this case, I don't think you could be more off base with the guy you chose to comment about. Brown strikes me as the great type to coach. Those years of NFL experience count for quite a bit too.

Ok, you bring up a good point of a Brown being "smart". Since he was so smart, he was probably able to understand complex defenses. But, just because he was so smart, does that give him the ability to be a good "teacher"? Does he have the ability to communicate the important details to young kids who might not be "as smart". I understand Brown is trying to get into the coaching business, but is a position coach at a major football program the best "first step"? If he's really interested in coaching, he can get a start as an intern, GA, or position coach at a smaller program.

I have no idea if it means he can teach. That's why I asked what he's up to and threw his name out there as a possible candidate. I tend to think smart people are good communicators which is why I think Bo has a hard time teaching his players. That's besides the point though. The only way you find out if a guy is a good coach or not, especially when they've not coached before, is to give them a coaching job and see how it works out. Like I already said above, again.....maybe Nebraska isn't the place for first time guys, but I'm not sure what a DB coach brings to the table as far as real influence goes. A smart guy with knowledge of the game and a sound fundamental grasp of the position combined with his lengthy experience is a good start, but I agree. Teaching is the biggest aspect of coaching. It does no good to know it all and not be able to convey it to others. Isn't that right Bo? So like I said...I guess we would have to find out. Or maybe we hire someone else. I was just throwing his name out there.....damn.

Mike Schaefer@mikejschaefer17m

This won't happen, but one name I'd take a long look at is Brian Dawkins. He's a DC at Valor Christian. Can learn coaching ropes from Bo.

Mike Schaefer@mikejschaefer15m

As far as I know Dawkins has no connection to Pelini. But this would be a good opportunity to get into college coaching - if he wants to.

Long shot, but it'd be an awesome hire.

make-it-so.jpg

This would be a great hire from a recruiting perspective (could give us a buzz), and he seems to be producing some solid DBs at the HS level as the DC at Valor Christian (would all but lock up Eric Lee next year).