Spring Practice Dumpster Fire

Mavric

Actually, Jamal talked about how the throws didn't always come in the same way. So it was a consistency thing.

Probably little need to question either Taylor or Tommy's arm strength though. They both have no problems with arm strength. I mean, Tommy's name is Arm Strong. We've seen some really rangy throws from both of them.

Oh, I'll also throw in (going into his junior year) Taylor had 47 FUMBLES. 4. 7. 4-7.

FUMBLES.

How many were lost? How many were from getting blindsided in the pocket because the O-Line couldn't protect the pocket? Did he drop the ball? Sure, but so does TA (and far too often its during the snap).

I still don't get the Martinez haters. The dude set over 30 school records, including: total offense, passing yards, touchdown passes and rushing yards by a QB. Dude played through injuries, dealt with scorn from fans, led the team to 2 conference championship games (games the defense slept through), and essentially put up video game numbers for 3 years. What did he do to earn your unabashed hatred?

It is a fact, Martinez is one of the great Nebraska QBs and it is a shame that the team couldn't help him win a championship.

• Fire 2

Make no mistake, Tommy has a cannon.

I kind of disagree with this actually. At least compared to Taylor.

He can throw the ball far and long, but his short/medium passes don't travel on that frozen rope that you hope for.

They can have a ton of zip on em' if Tommy wants them to. Tommy just knows that a lot of times those short passes more times than not need to have what's called "touch" on them. I know "touch" on a pass is not something Nebraska fans are used to seeing, so I understand when people don't grasp the difference between the ability to throw a frozen rope, versus the necessity of doing so.

I'm fine with this argument if you can actually show me throws where he has in fact rocketed those balls in there. I don't recall it ever happening but would be glad to be proven wrong.

Here's examples of him throwing passes that, according to my ignorant layman eyes, could and should have more velocity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OBd5HxPjN4c#t=53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OBd5HxPjN4c#t=116

Otherwise, not really going to spend much time in this thread as it's pretty full of derp, but big picture it's pretty alarming to see how our fanbase ripped and continues to rip Taylor to shreds based on his poor performances as a freshman and sophomore, yet be content and excusing of Tommy's poor performances, which were more poor, and also didn't have nearly the exceptional performances to counterbalance them.

Quite a gross double standard.

• Fire 4

I thought the way I put it was a nice way of telling you that I think it's a silly notion that a Texas star QB playing Division 1 football at a program like Nebraska can't throw a frozen rope whenever the hell he feels like it.

The kid can sling it when he chooses to.

But two morons actually plus 1'd your comment so apparently Tommy Armstrong can't throw the ball hard according to your ponies either.

Is the debate about how good Armstrong can be always gonna revert to you butthurt folks defending Taylor? You know they both can be good QB's right? Saying one is a good ball player doesn't equal the other sucks donkey balls. You get that don't you? I think the jump to defense of Taylor crap by some of you is about worn out.

Tommy made a lot of bad decisions last year, but he has all the physical tools to be a great QB. Like many young quarterbacks, he made some very questionable passes, but most of the time, those passes were at least thrown well. I like Tommy, and would be fine with him as our starting QB, but I'm excited to see what JT or Johnny Stanton can do.

I.....wow.....

I really enjoyed watching Armstrong play......Jesus I can't believe this is a serious post.

You don't go 7-1 with a QB that makes "a lot of bad decisions".

8 INTs, 4 fumbles (not 100% sure about this number), completion % of 51.9 and a 124 QB rating shows a QB that does make some bad decisions.

Bet we win more with our next QB than we ever did with Taylor. I also bet our offense continues to look a lot smoother.

I'd also wager that Tommy Armstrong wasn't even 90% last year on his knee.

Next QB being whom? If it is TA I'd take that wager.

And 6 of those picks came in two games

You really want to open that can of worms? How many turnovers did Taylor have as a freshman, sophomore, junior? Huh? I'm scared of what kind of decision maker he was if Tommy made "a lot". Taylor made a f#*k ton then. But, wait, Taylor was fast and he turned games around - Oh really? Taylor's frosh yr was a 70 QB rating, then it was 60 as a soph, then 70 again as a jr then 45 as a sr. Tommy Armstrong pretty much just had a similar year to T-Magic as a soph, but he was a frosh. Oh and not to mention, Taylor knew he was the #1 guy and it was his team. Tommy didn't know until after the season started.

And the next QB being either Armstrong or Stanton, whoever wins the job, will at least win a conference championship.

So much wrong in one post.

Martinez QB Rating:

2010: 138.8

2011: 126.5 - Coincided with the move to the B1G and still recovering from his injury

2012: 141.6

2013: 140.0

TA was 124.3

Interceptions:

2010: 7 on 196 attempts

2011: 8 on 288 attempts

2012: 12 on 368 attempts

2013: 2 on 110 attempts

TA had 8 INTs on 131 attempts.

Completion percentage:

2010: 59.2

2011: 56.2

2012: 62.0

2013: 62.7

TA had a 52% completion percentage

Taylor was a special player, if he had a decent defense backing him up we easily win the 2012 CCG, and would have had a chance to play for a natty (it was defensive failures that cost us games over the past 4 years and not the offense unless we are talking about games Taylor didn't play in like the loss to Iowa and Mich St).

If Armstrong wins anything it will be because of the much improved defense.

Edited to add completion percentage, I knew I forgot something.

I didn't even read any of that because I was using QBR, not rating. I think that's pretty evident if you look further than what you want to see.

Furthermore, why don't you try posting Taylor's total fumbles as well? And how many drives that f'd up? Might've not been a turnover, but it certainly f'd us numerous times.

You don't find it odd how much support Tommy got from the team as opposed to Taylor?

I didn't say Taylor was bad nor did I say Tommy was better, I just said we will win more games WITH WHOEVER THE NEXT QB is - because team chemistry is pretty damn important and so is leadership.

Oh and there is a fun story about Taylor overriding too many plays and getting us into worse positions.

I don't care if you don't like Taylor, but this is pure speculation. Until players start coming out and saying they didn't like him, then why bring this up? This was beat to death a couple years ago when the line was blocking poorly. Until players come forward and say Taylor wasn't a leader, or a bad influence in the locker room, or a poor teammate, don't bring it up. It's pointless. Why was Martinez even brought up in this forum? He's spent his four years of eligibility, and this thread pertains to next years roster.

• Fire 5

I don't care if you don't like Taylor, but this is pure speculation. Until players start coming out and saying they didn't like him, then why bring this up? This was beat to death a couple years ago when the line was blocking poorly. Until players come forward and say Taylor wasn't a leader, or a bad influence in the locker room, or a poor teammate, don't bring it up. It's pointless.

Especially don't bring it up when tons of players have said exactly the opposite.

• Fire 2
Is the debate about how good Armstrong can be always gonna revert to you butthurt folks defending Taylor? You know they both can be good QB's right? Saying one is a good ball player doesn't equal the other sucks donkey balls. You get that don't you? I think the jump to defense of Taylor crap by some of you is about worn out.

Maybe just maybe, and I could be wrong since I'm a moron that+1ed Landlord largely do to his last paragraph, posters are stick of the continual bashing Taylor gets. This incident was brought to you by the king.

And isn't it ironic that some posters get butthurt over criticism of TA citing the he's a freshman card, yet they were some of the first casting stones Taylor's frosh year.

We obviously need Peyton Manning 2.0

It was the anti-Taylor guys that brought him up, I don't understand why The King and folks like him needs to bash Martinez to talk up Armstrong. Especially since he has done nothing to show he was better than even a freshman Martinez.

I get it. You don't like Taylor and for some reason love Armstrong. Can we move on and talk about the team without disparaging one of the most prolific players in Nebraska history?

• Fire 1