Areas that you would like to see improvement?

It seems like most of the conversation is about how many games we need to win to get to the big dance. So let's talk about what we need to do to ensure that we win these games. Of course we could get it done by just doing what we're doing but I think a few "changes" would lock it up for us.

I find it pretty difficult to be negative about this team so don't mistake this as complaining.

Some things I would like to see:

- Ray needs to find his stroke. He can provide such a huge spark to the team when he's hot but missing wide open 3s several times a game is equally damaging IMO.

- better shot selection. I've seen a lot of improvement here but our team still throws up some head scratchers.

- I'd like to see smith use his body a bit more and use his strength to hold onto the ball. It was painful to see our big man get swatted so many times under the rim.

Not much to take issue with. Which is awesome!

So, any thoughts?

Ray needs to go. The guy's shot is off- I would rather see Hawkins get his PT.

Parker needs to drive more and force the defense to guard him.

We cant let teams inch back in-- the better the team, the more likely they are to shoot better than 30% like we have been seeing.

We need consistency from our offense- IE Shavon/Pitchford/Hawkins.

Shavon either has a great game or he is quiet and struggles. We need him to keep attacking the rim

Ray needs to go. The guy's shot is off- I would rather see Hawkins get his PT.

Parker needs to drive more and force the defense to guard him.

We cant let teams inch back in-- the better the team, the more likely they are to shoot better than 30% like we have been seeing.

We need consistency from our offense- IE Shavon/Pitchford/Hawkins.

Shavon either has a great game or he is quiet and struggles. We need him to keep attacking the rim

---

Ray has been struggling, but he'll get himself out of it.

Besides the one three-pointer he made yesterday, Hawkins shot did not look any better and he looks like he is lost at times on defense/game plans. That is to be expected being a freshman. In close games, I'd still want Ray G over Hawkins. I agree with your other points, but think Ray G. has earned more slack and not sold on the alternative.

My only comment would be that Gallegos needs to stop shooting so much. A lot of people talk about Ray like "when he's on, hes on" but the problem is, he's hardly ever on, and if he does get on, it usually takes him a lot of shots to get there. He's taking points off the board at this point. In the past it may not have been that big of deal because Nebraska didn't have a lot of scores anyways. But now, I feel every 3 ball he chalks up there and misses, we are taking points away from a legitimate scorer on this team. Now if Ray starts hot and stays hot, maybe you let him fire a few up.

Other than that I really like watching this team play ball.

A few things.

Parker and Webster on the court together with Ray on the pine. I dont want to cut Ray out completely, but our overall gaurd play has been bad if you consider Petteway a 3. Too many times we dont move the ball well and Petteway bails us out by making a tough shot. I would like to see more easy buckets that come from good gaurd play.

Get the ball into the post more. This is hard because Smith is our only post player and when he is out of the game there is no one who will post up, but Petteway or Shields are gaurded by a smaller player a lot of the time and could do something in the post. Probably too late in the season for a change like this.

Dont change a thing on D.

Helpside defense, although improving the last couple of games, still leaves a lot to be desired. It's not just one guy there are too many times where three guys stand and watch a guy drive past a teammate and getting to the rim. Petteway is pretty bad at this.

Bringing the ball up court against pressure is still a joke to watch. From guys not coming back to help, to guys picking up their dribble in the corner, it's tough to watch. If I want to beat NU I'd throw a full court trap on them dropping back into some kind of trapping, match up zone.

And you keep Ray in and tell him to keep shooting. He is the next scoring option after TP, SS, and Walt. He will be needed if any hopes for the tourney are sustained.

We still lack a really strong inside game. That won't change till we have more of a true center. I think Smith can greatly improve but he will still struggle going against guys who are taller than him. At least he has some size.

You're right, it won't change, at least this season. About the only thing Purdue did well (other than some 3's) was down-low defense. Miles will have to find a prominent big for next year in order to really get this train rolling.