***2016 Recruiting***

It's still pretty early so this isn't to be taken as a criticism, just an observation.

It kind of seems to me like we have an inverse bell curve going on right now with our offers. That is, we seem to have offered a lot of guys at both ends of the spectrum - high-end guys who we probably don't have much of a chance with and "low-end" guys in that we are one of their first/only Power 5 offers - when you'd kind of expect to see more of the mid-level guys. Not saying there aren't any of the low-four star, high three star guys who usually make up a lot of the class but it just seems to me like there aren't a lot of them popping up.

Will be interesting to see who becomes interested as the summer goes along.

The results of this recruiting class could vary greatly by Feb. If the team comes out in Sept and plays well with improvement in several areas, then I see some better players jumping onboard quickly. Right now we have the recruits committed who really want to be Huskers. Most of the rest will need to be convinced. I have faith Riley and the coaches will be able to recruit here and they will have the kids ready to play.

It's still pretty early so this isn't to be taken as a criticism, just an observation.

It kind of seems to me like we have an inverse bell curve going on right now with our offers. That is, we seem to have offered a lot of guys at both ends of the spectrum - high-end guys who we probably don't have much of a chance with and "low-end" guys in that we are one of their first/only Power 5 offers - when you'd kind of expect to see more of the mid-level guys. Not saying there aren't any of the low-four star, high three star guys who usually make up a lot of the class but it just seems to me like there aren't a lot of them popping up.

Think things will start happening this summer, if it happens. Nebraska is on some good names still.

I've noticed this as well. Frankly, I find it concerning. The two most recent commits are nice, but unless Nebraska starts landing some real talented players to end the year with a class ranked somewhere in the top 20, we're in trouble.

The players who've committed and the types of players we've been offering lately are nowhere near good enough for Nebraska to compete at the highest level.

I've noticed this as well. Frankly, I find it concerning. The two most recent commits are nice, but unless Nebraska starts landing some real talented players to end the year with a class ranked somewhere in the top 20, we're in trouble.

The players who've committed and the types of players we've been offering lately are nowhere near good enough for Nebraska to compete at the highest level.

Based on what? These kids havent even played their final season before coming to college. As far as we know a few of these guys may add a 4th star of end up a 5.7 3 star. Im willing to let this play out

• Fire 2

Based on what? These kids havent even played their final season before coming to college. As far as we know a few of these guys may add a 4th star of end up a 5.7 3 star. Im willing to let this play out
Hopefully that's the case, but I won't count on it.

Personally, I base a player based on their offer lists and star power. Nebraska is handing out offers to players with neither. So, unless Mike Riley and his staff are the first major coaches to see something in a player the others haven't, I find it concerning.

As of now, our recruiting class seems poised to land in the 30s, just like the last few years. That is not good enough.

Personally, I base a player based on their offer lists and star power. Nebraska is handing out offers to players with neither. So, unless Mike Riley and his staff are the first major coaches to see something in a player the others haven't, I find it concerning.

As of now, our recruiting class seems poised to land in the 30s, just like the last few years. That is not good enough.

You realize that Riley is regarded as a great talent evaluator right? Even at OSU he was able to identify and sign some guys that many schools passed on. With our added resources and support it isnt that hard to fathom Riley landing a better prospect at NU. If he consistently develops 2 stars into NFL draft picks what happens when you hand him 3-4 star talent?

Bo and staff would offer a bunch of "unknowns" as well during the spring. Many would end up with a darn good offer list. See Hall, Jason as one example.

• Fire 1

You realize that Riley is regarded as a great talent evaluator right? Even at OSU he was able to identify and sign some guys that many schools passed on. With our added resources and support it isnt that hard to fathom Riley landing a better prospect at NU. If he consistently develops 2 stars into NFL draft picks what happens when you hand him 3-4 star talent?

It isn't hard to fathom that he won't land better prospects either.

Here's my worry, and like Mav said, it's early, so this is not criticism, just a concern that I hope ends up amounting to nothing. Riley has never been handed the keys to the Ferrari, so what says that he'll know how to drive it well?

Recruiting at OSU and recruiting at Nebraska aren't at all comparable. It's great that he found some success finding 2 star diamonds in the rough, but really, you can not field an entire roster of those, and they're actually the easier ones to snag competition wise because no other big time schools are enticing them away from you.

You can be 12 and the best go kart driver in the entire world, but that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to be a great driver when you get thrown behind the wheel of an actual vehicle that you don't have any experience with.

I think the concerns only make sense if you go by the recruiting services (and what else do we have to go by, to be fair). Riley & co have a strong reputation as talent evaluators and they often are getting in on guys before everyone else does -- and then Arizona State, Michigan and the rest follow.

I wonder if it doesn't make sense to look at the '17 offers more. Even for this class they are jumping in midstream; a lot of relationship building or at least scouting talent and making offers was already done by last December, and from December to February they did recruit for '16 and beyond, but they had to focus on locking down the '15 class -- and fill out the staff.

I think the concerns only make sense if you go by the recruiting services (and what else do we have to go by, to be fair). Riley & co have a strong reputation as talent evaluators and they often are getting in on guys before everyone else does -- and then Arizona State, Michigan and the rest follow.

I'm all for good talent evaluation and finding the overlooked guys - but you can't make an 85 scholarship roster out of these guys.

What program in the modern era has won and competed for regular championships with a roster of 3 stars? Kansas State and...?

I'm all for good talent evaluation and finding the overlooked guys - but you can't make an 85 scholarship roster out of these guys.

What program in the modern era has won and competed for regular championships with a roster of 3 stars? Kansas State and...?

TCU did pretty well last year while averaging three-stars. But they are the exception. Recruiting and championships go hand in hand. Except for Texas right now, which has great recruiting but sucks donkey dongs on the field.

I mean that the guys they find might not stay overlooked for long. We'll see how it is with the offers list and so on when the dust finally settles. I don't think the idea is to try to get overlooked guys -- it's to identify and secure talent early, and get the jump on other schools who will be later to offer.

I'm sure the coaches aren't checking the rankings and thinking about "what star level of talent do I am for." I think they make their own evaluations with film and visits, offer everyone they think is worthwhile, and go from there.

This is before the senior season at this point. And for the '17 class it's before their junior seasons. The '18 guys only have freshmen film.