Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I've noticed is everyone is so hung up on the coach being the one that takes the team to the top.......

Look at the evidence and it's obvious the coach has some value, but the players are the important factor especially the QB.

TO had good teams with average QB's, when Tommie came to NU, TO had the exceptional player he needed. Auburn's title was all Cam Newton,

Texas had Vince Young, what both had were good defenses to go with them. Tommie Frazier had great defenses as did Scott Frost, Most NC are won with great defense and a QB that's an above average college player. All this credit given to the coaches is BS, yes they do have some influence in the outcome of games, but they don't step on the field and play. How many of you posters actually played.

Saban couldn't do squat before he got to bama and had the choice of top talent. Meyer did ok at his stops, but he is a master recruiter, yes much better that Saban IMHO.

Coaches are valuable in assembling the talent, getting them to buy into the system, and keeping the players to toe the line. other than that, they have little influence in the outcome of most games. Albeit coaches like saban who call for a long field goal that he knew his player couldn't make, and give the game away. Coaches do have some input.

Let's stop placing all the credit and blame on the coaches. It's the right players playing together that bring home the hardware. GBR.

As a side note, I'm hoping JS is our next TF.... the D and the recruiting is improving, it's only our fourth year in a new conference, I look for great things from Big Red, if they don't happen, then they don't. I for one won't be slinging arrows at the coaches or the players. They did the best they could with what they had to work with. Sometimes S---t happens and that' life. Roll with the punches and stop being a bunch of finger pointing cry babies. Especially if you've never pulled on pads, which by your post I doubt many of you have.

not true, there have been teams with mediocre talent that have kicked ass, Boise State and others.....besides, it takes a coach to recruit.

Nick Saban's good years BEFORE he got to Alabama...

1 season at Toledo

9-2 in 1990

5 seasons at MSU

9-2 in 1999. Only good season.

5 seasons at LSU

10-3 in 2001 with a Sugar Bowl win.

13-1 in 2003. Won a BCS National Championship.

9-3 in 2004

2007 he went to Alabama.

In other words, 11 years of head coaching, he had 2 good years, one national championship and 9-3 being his 4th best record.

1 season at Toledo

9-2 in 1990

5 seasons at MSU

5 seasons at LSU

9-3 in 2004

2007 he went to Alabama.

In other words, 11 years of head coaching, he had 2 good years, one national championship and 9-3 being his 4th best record.

I guess I won't say out loud what 9-4 is ranked in best records for Bo. If you don't think Saban didn't do anything before Bama I guess it's your right.

1 season at Toledo

9-2 in 1990

5 seasons at MSU

5 seasons at LSU

9-3 in 2004

2007 he went to Alabama.

I guess I won't say out loud what 9-4 is ranked in best records for Bo. If you don't think Saban didn't do anything before Bama I guess it's your right.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, because I didn't state ANYWHERE that Saban didn't do anything before he got to Bama. Do you just like to listen to yourself bitch about stuff man? I was just stating what his record was, and he won a MNC, but you obviously have your blinders on, or you just can't see/read worth a damn.

What this also says, is Saban didn't win anything of significance until he got to LSU, where he had two good seasons. He didn't win his first MNC until his 10th year of head coaching, 9 years for a BCS Bowl game win (Sugar Bowl).

1 season at Toledo

9-2 in 1990

5 seasons at MSU

5 seasons at LSU

9-3 in 2004

2007 he went to Alabama.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, because I didn't state ANYWHERE that Saban didn't do anything before he got to Bama. Do you just like to listen to yourself bitch about stuff man? I was just stating what his record was, and he won a MNC, but you obviously have your blinders on, or you just can't see/read worth a damn.

What this also says, is Saban didn't win anything of significance until he got to LSU, where he had two good seasons. He didn't win his first MNC until his 10th year of head coaching, 9 years for a BCS Bowl game win (Sugar Bowl).

If we are going to compare Bo to Saban, (which I don't want to do), you really better make sure you want to pay attention next year and beyond. And in recruiting results. That's all I'm saying.

i am really curious as to what your criteria is for a good year.

According to some of these high standards, Bo has not had a single good year, so anything 11+ wins I guess?

If we are going to compare Bo to Saban, (which I don't want to do), you really better make sure you want to pay attention next year and beyond. And in recruiting results. That's all I'm saying.

I was not comparing, just simply showing to the guy that stated Saban hadn't done a thing until he got to Alabama, that he was wrong. But again, you try to attack my post and make it all about you. Nice try though.

i am really curious as to what your criteria is for a good year.

According to some of these high standards, Bo has not had a single good year, so anything 11+ wins I guess?

I was not comparing, just simply showing to the guy that stated Saban hadn't done a thing until he got to Alabama, that he was wrong. But again, you try to attack my post and make it all about you. Nice try though.

It's not about me.

I will buy you one internet beer (domesto only) for misreading your post.

i was just getting at that he did pretty good for msu. they were a doormat when he got there. and i would say he did good for toledo. it seems like he mostly had good years before 'bama.

but i did misread it as well. i thought you meant he only had two good years, of those a national champ and a bcs win.

Saben has been a great coach since Toledo. Brought MSU out of the doormat clan, and raised LSU to National Prominance. Tried Pro and never liked it. Took Bama back to relevance very quickly. Dynamic man that uses every opportunity to gain momentum to win. Tireless, fearless, stretches every rule to the limit.

Bo maybe learning those traits, but started far behind in experience when coming here. He did not inherit a train wreck as some say, a lot of talent to work with, and he did a pretty good job with. This year we see his recruiting in full force, is game plan and idea for success. Bo is clearly no Saben at this time, but he is closest to it that we have. This needs to be the year for everything to click.

I'm sure Saban liked the idea of the NFL. Popular speculation is that Saban's coaching style doesn't work in the NFL - he's a dominating personality that wants everyone to do exactly what he says, how he says. Many believe that type of attitude doesn't translate to the NFL very well. It's similar to why many believe Greg Schiano failed at Tampa Bay. I don't know how much weight to put on that but I hear it brought up a lot.

In terms of Pelini, I think we had a three possibilities when we hired him. He was either going to be a diamond in the rough, get fired after four years or be a building project. In my opinion, this is what happens when you hire someone with no prior head coaching experience. In retrospect, his struggles make sense. He probably wasn't ready for the role and is taking a lot of time to figure out what he can do to make this thing work on all cylinders. It's obviously not ideal but we knew it was a possibility and now we need to live with it, at least for the time being.

The fact that he's opening practices to the media and making concerted efforts to adjust other parts of his program is extremely positive. I really, really want to see him do well here.

This is slightly off topic, but a follow-up to something I just mentioned above and a question for someone that follows basketball far closers than I do. Is football unique in that coordinators are made head coaches at fairly big programs early in their careers? Obviously, bball staffs are different, but do major college bball programs (say, the top 50) hire head coaches that don't have prior head coaching experience often?

That's not to insinuate the Top 15 college football programs in the country don't hire prior head coaches. This is just mainly out of my own curiosity. From a very broad and not-in-the-know perspective, it seems that football tries to get by with this type of hiring practice at times and that a lot bball programs look for head coaches. I could be way off base though. Perhaps it's fairly even across both sports.