Josh Banderas Arrested

Once school was out the students had til the 12th to remove their bikes before it's becomes UNL property. Husker fans are so idiotic to think these guys own 7 bikes? If they were theirs how come they didn't have keys for any locks? Let's use our brains people, this is clearly a case of two students stealing bikes off campus to mAke a quick buck nothing else. If it was THEIR bikes they could of easily asked UNL police to cut their bike off the rack but they didn't. I don't know who is dumber, banderas or half the people who comment on this board

psssst.....I think most were making ajoke

Once school was out the students had til the 12th to remove their bikes before it's becomes UNL property. Husker fans are so idiotic to think these guys own 7 bikes? If they were theirs how come they didn't have keys for any locks? Let's use our brains people, this is clearly a case of two students stealing bikes off campus to mAke a quick buck nothing else. If it was THEIR bikes they could of easily asked UNL police to cut their bike off the rack but they didn't. I don't know who is dumber, banderas or half the people who comment on this board

Who said they thought it was their bikes?

Fwiw, I read on another site that the rumor may be that Josh was cutting these loose for friends that are currently not on campus and didn't want their bikes confiscated by the university. Hope that rumor is true.

Either way, hope it is 7 misdemeanors, not a felony.

Fwiw, I read on another site that the rumor may be that Josh was cutting these loose for friends that are currently not on campus and didn't want their bikes confiscated by the university. Hope that rumor is true.

That isn't a terrible excuse but at the end of the day they admitted to stealing the bikes. So if they become UNL property the next day does that mean they stole from the students or UNL? It's a sticky situation

That isn't a terrible excuse but at the end of the day they admitted to stealing the bikes. So if they become UNL property the next day does that mean they stole from the students or UNL? It's a sticky situation

Did they admit to stealing or were they only charged?

If they were doing friends a favor, maybe the friends will clear up the confusion.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but I hope this is the case.

Maybe if he can plead guilt to a misdemeanor rather than a felony, he could be looking a a few game suspension (at most the year). :dunno

Why would anyone want somebody like this on the team?

Also, "making a mistake" would mean Banderas and his toadie was under the impression that what they did was legal or permitted, when it actually wasn't.

Do any of you using the term "making a mistake" to describe this incident really believ t Banderas thought what he was doing was legal or permitted?...or are trying to avoid calling it what it really is, which would be committing a crime?

This post is totally unnecessary. Some people actually like to hope for the best and believe that until all facts are out there we should withhold judgment. Also no one is excusing the actions if they do indeed turn out to be true. If he is found guilty by the legal system, then he needs to be held accountable for it, but rushing to judgement is a bit premature. After all it's not your job to job people, and really you should learn to be a little more respectful to people who supposedly you are supposedly a fan of the same team with.

• Fire 2

I have a feeling him and his buddy probably did this thing annually. They knew it was illegal, but nobody ever did anything about it. I mean, c'mon, the call to 911 was at around 5 pm. That was on a nice day too. Either they are incredibly bold, incredibly stupid, or nobody did anything about it previous years.

I thought about how dumb this was on his part, "why steal bikes? what an idiot!" I thought, but then I thought about something a friend of mine did.

I had a buddy that used to raid the dorm dumpsters for carpet that students put in their dorms, but couldn't take it home with them, so they just threw them out. My buddy and his dad would take the carpet and make $2000 from that.

I have a feeling that was the case here. The bikes were viewed as "garbage" to those who left it, so they just took it for some money. They'd probably been doing this for 3 years or so since they both lived in Lincoln previously.

But what the heck do I know? That's just something my friend used to do. Who knows why the students leave their bikes. Maybe they just left them there because they didn't want to have to deal with them, just like the carpet. Sure you can reuse it, but it's easier to just throw it away (albeit bikes are more expensive?).

• Fire 1

I gotta say Count, I was pretty shocked to hear about this. Not surprised a college kid stole a bunch of bikes, but because a Nebraska kid, from Lincoln, whose father was also a Husker is the guy who is being charged. Disappointing for me a bit just because I would think most kids from Nebraska with the opportunities Josh has had would be a bit more respectful and appreciative of those opportunities. Maybe I'm wrong about the way kids think nowadays.

That said, he is a kid. Once again we get another example of you fine folks at Huskerboard who have apparently never done anything wrong before. We've had these conversations before and the majority of you here apparently are damn near perfect, I know, but damn y'all are some harsh people too. No slack given huh? While I'm not saying what he did wasn't stupid, it's stupid as hell....what I am saying is that I've done many stupid things in my life. Most of those things were done at a young age. College kids do dumb sh#t. Do they deserve to be judged for the rest of their lives for it? Nah. Should he lose everything he's worked his whole life for because of this mistake? Hell nah. Punish him, yea. Hope he learns from it. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's what he does with that second chance that should count. Turning things around after a mistake shows character. Making that initial mistake just sows he's human, and a young one at that.

• Fire 1

I gotta say Count, I was pretty shocked to hear about this. Not surprised a college kid stole a bunch of bikes, but because a Nebraska kid, from Lincoln, whose father was also a Husker is the guy who is being charged. Disappointing for me a bit just because I would think most kids from Nebraska with the opportunities Josh has had would be a bit more respectful and appreciative of those opportunities. Maybe I'm wrong about the way kids think nowadays.

That said, he is a kid. Once again we get another example of you fine folks at Huskerboard who have apparently never done anything wrong before. We've had these conversations before and the majority of you here apparently are damn near perfect, I know, but damn y'all are some harsh people too. No slack given huh? While I'm not saying what he did wasn't stupid, it's stupid as hell....what I am saying is that I've done many stupid things in my life. Most of those things were done at a young age. College kids do dumb sh#t. Do they deserve to be judged for the rest of their lives for it? Nah. Should he lose everything he's worked his whole life for because of this mistake? Hell nah. Punish him, yea. Hope he learns from it. Everyone deserves a second chance. It's what he does with that second chance that should count. Turning things around after a mistake shows character. Making that initial mistake just sows he's human, and a young one at that.

I was a kid once. I never committed a felony. He should get a second chance...at Iowa Western. There are 100+ guys on this roster. They're held to a higher standard than those other kids you talk about doing dumb stuff. They have far more to lose, and they represent something far larger than themselves. The consequences are huge, and he'll find that out. Whether you think that is fair or not is your own opinion, but it's the reality they accepted at the same time they signed their LOI.

With that said, I'm sure he'll be back. Alex Lewis is here, Moss will be too - and I'm sure there's a long list of other player infractions that we know nothing about. It seems to me Bo's philosophy on these things is something along the lines of "your actions hurt the team, you're gone" (Brown, Suttles, etc). Everything else is worthy of a second chance. No opinion on whether it's right or wrong. But from what little we know about the Brown issue, this Banderas thing, the Lewis thing, and the Moss thing (no pun intended) call into question those mens' character far more than Browns. But he's gone, and they'll be back. Hurt yourself, but you'd damn well better not hurt the team.

• Fire 2

I had a buddy that used to raid the dorm dumpsters for carpet that students put in their dorms, but couldn't take it home with them, so they just threw them out. My buddy and his dad would take the carpet and make $2000 from that.

I have a feeling that was the case here. The bikes were viewed as "garbage" to those who left it, so they just took it for some money. They'd probably been doing this for 3 years or so since they both lived in Lincoln previously.

But what the heck do I know? That's just something my friend used to do. Who knows why the students leave their bikes. Maybe they just left them there because they didn't want to have to deal with them, just like the carpet. Sure you can reuse it, but it's easier to just throw it away (albeit bikes are more expensive?).

The difference is what's in the trash becomes public property, a chained bike either belongs to it's owner or possibly in this case the university.