Josh Banderas Arrested

Like I said, they knew it may have been illegal, but those are abandoned bikes at that point. Why not take advantage of what the University themselves was going to do?

Auction them off.

When the University does it: it's legal. A couple of kids: felony.

I am not saying it's right. I am merely suggestion an intent on their young actions (albeit dumb and idiotic).

Like I said, they knew it may have been illegal, but those are abandoned bikes at that point. Why not take advantage of what the University themselves was going to do?

Auction them off.

I am not saying it's right. I am merely suggestion an intent on their young actions (albeit dumb and idiotic).

There is this thing called summer classes and usually students that take summer classes stay on campus for the summer. I stayed on campus and in the dorms when i took summer classes and there were still people riding bikes or had their bikes locked up....

A lot of good points of view here. Interesting to read everyone's take. My thought is much like the situation with the carpet dumpster-diving scenario. I bet this is simply a thing where these two thought people are just abandoning the bikes, and the university's going to seize them in a few days anyway, so why not get there first and take the bikes? I bet it's just that simple, and they didn't have the enough frontal lobe material to fully think it through. Per a medical journal I read:

The executive function of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress socially unacceptable responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events.

Auction them off.

There is this thing called summer classes and usually students that take summer classes stay on campus for the summer. I stayed on campus and in the dorms when i took summer classes and there were still people riding bikes or had their bikes locked up....

There are also still plenty of grad students and professors who had stuff left to do at the time this happened. But let's keep making lame excuses for these morons.

I've actually had one of those tags placed on my bike after I'd parked it somewhere for only an hour.

Auction them off.

If your bike does not move for a period of time, they put a tag on each individual bike. I'm assuming these were the ones they were taking, as many of the students just leave them because they don't want to deal with transporting them. I know nothing about it, but I'd be really shocked if the police department actually had one of those bikes claimed or if they just stated that to make it seem like they are claimed often.

Auction them off.

If your bike does not move for a period of time, they put a tag on each individual bike. I'm assuming these were the ones they were taking, as many of the students just leave them because they don't want to deal with transporting them. I know nothing about it, but I'd be really shocked if the police department actually had one of those bikes claimed or if they just stated that to make it seem like they are claimed often.
See my above post. Also, the university is giving people a certain amount of time to get their bike before it's taken and these thieves are reducing it and have no right to do so.
See my above post. Also, the university is giving people a certain amount of time to get their bike before it's taken and these thieves are reducing it and have no right to do so.

Did they happen to get yours? Just curious

No. But I'm annoyed at them for being idiots and I also ride a bike regularly and it would f*ing suck to have it stolen.

No. But I'm annoyed at them being idiots and I also ride a bike regularly and it would f*ing suck to have it stolen.

I remembered you posting about riding your bike a lot. That's why I asked. Glad yours is safe :)

Hey, I'll keep an open mind. If this is part of some ongoing prank of people pretending to "steal" bikes but relocating them to another bike rack half a block down the sidewalk, I'm kinda willing to forgive and forget this one, especially if everyone whose bike was in the back of the truck had pulled this same stunt on Bando and the other bike owners before this.

Barring that extreeeeeeemely unrealistic scenario being true, we're left with Bando being in possession of a bunch of previously locked up bikes, a bolt cutter, and some pretty pissed-off bike owners. Not a lot of ambiguity as we sit here.

Would you employ this same logic to wallets? Cars? Iphones? Power tools? You get where I am going with this. If this was a prank, did they intend on buying new locks? Did they have new locks in the pickup? Were the most expensive bikes removed from the bike rack while the cheaper models were left? It seems some people are not seeing the seriousness of this crime because hey they only stole bikes... This is grand larceny...

With that said, I'm sure he'll be back. Alex Lewis is here, Moss will be too - and I'm sure there's a long list of other player infractions that we know nothing about. It seems to me Bo's philosophy on these things is something along the lines of "your actions hurt the team, you're gone" (Brown, Suttles, etc). Everything else is worthy of a second chance. No opinion on whether it's right or wrong. But from what little we know about the Brown issue, this Banderas thing, the Lewis thing, and the Moss thing (no pun intended) call into question those mens' character far more than Browns. But he's gone, and they'll be back. Hurt yourself, but you'd damn well better not hurt the team.

There is also the part about one instance versus repeated instances that likely plays into the situations you mentioned.

As was speculated:

“J. Banderas stated he and Keifer had taken the bicycles from the bike racks on campus and were planning on selling them on Ebay/Craigslist or similar,” the officer wrote. “He stated they took the bikes because he saw the signs posted on the racks that UNL would cut the bikes after a certain date and take them as abandoned property.”

According to Pembleton’s affidavit, Kiefer later gave the same details to UNL officer Robert Evans in an interview.
UNL has posted blue laminated paper signs on all of the bike racks in and around Harper-Schramm-Smith Village — where Banderas and Keifer allegedly stole the bikes May 12. The signs list May 21, 2014 — between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. — as the time when UNL will seize the bikes.
“Any bike not removed will have its lock cut and the bike will be impounded as University property,” the sign reads. “The impounded bike will be held for 30 days and then sold at a University auction.”
Assistant UNL police chief Charlotte Evans said Wednesday students sometimes retrieve their bikes after they’ve been impounded. She said there are no signs indicating other students can take bikes that aren’t theirs.

OWH

so it is still stealing. the university has first claim to the bikes after the true owner. what made them think they had any right to the bikes even if the school was going to impound the bikes? this really does not make it better. still pretty stupid and short-sighted.