Pat Forde's top 3 coaches on the hot seat

Bo Pelini was in the hot seat before last season.

Does anyone think that seat didn't get hotter after the UCLA game and the f-bomb tape? Or that termination wasn't in the air after the Iowa game?

So of course Bo's in the hot seat this year. Forde notes that Bo's personality has been an issue, and he seems to have worked on that in the off-season. Now it's time to see results on the field. Nothing to argue with, there.

You can remain in a hot seat without getting fired. A lot of the debate around here is whether Bo can survive another 4 loss season.

He probably can, but he'll start the next season on the exact same hot seat.

When sports media pundits make this kind of analysis, they're taking fanbase expectations into account. Bo's situation isn't the media's fault. It's just where we're at.

• Fire 6

If you make it 7 years at Nebraska without a conference title and without a BCS Bowl appearance, let alone a BCS win (or a playoff appearance, or whatever you want the equivalent to be now) then you are not getting the job done.

Hello 1979

lol, dude.

Here's Nebraska's postseason success from 72-79

January 1, 1973 Nebraska 40 Notre Dame 6 1973 Orange Bowl

January 1, 1974 Nebraska 19 Texas 3 1974 Cotton Bowl Classic

December 31, 1974 Nebraska 13 Florida 10 1974 Sugar Bowl

December 26, 1975 Arizona State 17 Nebraska 14 1975 Fiesta Bowl

December 31, 1976 Nebraska 27 Texas Tech 24 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl

December 19, 1977 Nebraska 21 North Carolina 17 1977 Liberty Bowl

January 1, 1979 Oklahoma 31 Nebraska 24 1979 Orange Bowl

2 Oranges, 1 Sugar, 1 Fiesta, 1 Cotton. With 3 wins out of them!

Not comparable to 2008-2013.

• Fire 6

Does anyone think that seat didn't get hotter after the UCLA game and the f-bomb tape? Or that termination wasn't in the air after the Iowa game?

So of course Bo's in the hot seat this year. Forde notes that Bo's personality has been an issue, and he seems to have worked on that in the off-season. Now it's time to see results on the field. Nothing to argue with, there.

You can remain in a hot seat without getting fired. A lot of the debate around here is whether Bo can survive another 4 loss season.

When sports media pundits make this kind of analysis, they're taking fanbase expectations into account. Bo's situation isn't the media's fault. It's just where we're at.

well said.

Except that was the narrative going into last season as well (cell phone prank, Harlem Shake, Jack's run, ect.) He still had to publicly apologize for his behavior at least a couple times.

That's secondary to finally showing some progress on the field, though. There's some heat on that seat, for sure. Can't fathom why anyone would want that seat to be entirely comfortable right about now. Unless you truly think 9-4 is good enough.

• Fire 1

His seat is not any hotter, nor has it been any hotter, than any other coach with his winning percentage. All coaching seats are "hot" at this level if that's the way you want to reference it.

If you make it 7 years at Nebraska without a conference title and without a BCS Bowl appearance, let alone a BCS win (or a playoff appearance, or whatever you want the equivalent to be now) then you are not getting the job done.

Hello 1979

lol, dude.

Here's Nebraska's postseason success from 72-79

January 1, 1973 Nebraska 40 Notre Dame 6 1973 Orange Bowl

January 1, 1974 Nebraska 19 Texas 3 1974 Cotton Bowl Classic

December 31, 1974 Nebraska 13 Florida 10 1974 Sugar Bowl

December 26, 1975 Arizona State 17 Nebraska 14 1975 Fiesta Bowl

December 31, 1976 Nebraska 27 Texas Tech 24 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl

December 19, 1977 Nebraska 21 North Carolina 17 1977 Liberty Bowl

January 1, 1979 Oklahoma 31 Nebraska 24 1979 Orange Bowl

2 Oranges, 1 Sugar, 1 Fiesta, 1 Cotton. With 3 wins out of them!

Not comparable to 2008-2013.

You totally missed the point. Pelini has won a bowl game or two himself........

Yeah man, I missed the point.

I mean I said BCS Bowl appearance right in my original post. But even that blatant reading comprehension fail aside, if you want me to go further, here is Nebraska's final AP ranking from 73-79

Should I go on

• Fire 2

I just happen to be of the opinion we should be doing so much more with our resources.

What exactly are those resources? And if those resources were so outstanding, why did Eichorst grant Pelini's request for additional resources on the recruiting trail? Another poster listed several schools that have everyoi bit the resources Nebraska does......and probably better location. Ask Urban Meyer.....who chose where he wanted to work. Or Nick Saban.....who "leveraged" Texas' resources before staying at 'Bama. Nebraska is not in those equations.

The same resources (sans Tom Osborne) that made us a perennial top ten team for a few decades.

My question is what exactly are those resources?

If you don't know what those resources are, that indicates to me that you don't think NU has any resources or pre-existing advantages. I suppose if I felt that was the situation, I too would have trouble expecting more than what we have settled into. Personally, I find that to be a sad, hopeless, way to approach things.

Good dodge/deflection.

So what is your point? That Nebraska no longer has any advantages or resources that aren't available to any team? We're just the same as Iowa, Kansas, Mizzou, etc.? Do the excuses ever run out with some of you?

I mean I said BCS Bowl appearance right in my original post. But even that blatant reading comprehension fail aside, if you want me to go further, here is Nebraska's final AP ranking from 73-79

Should I go on

I appreciate the information, but I'm well aware of it. Why did Osborne nearly bolt for Colorado in 1979?

Should I go on

There's no point. It doesn't matter.

The coaches, Bo Pelini himself, the players, the fans, the media, the administration, ESPN, analysts around the country, damn near everybody all say Nebraska needs to improve, should improve, and has all the tools necessary to be better.

Yet, there's those people who believe this is what we are.

Sorry, I think we are better and I think we are underachieving.

Doesn't say much for you when you just accept underachieving. None of the coaches and players are accepting it.

• Fire 2

For all the anti Bo crowd that want him fired, who's his replacement...

It's easy to want to get rid of somebody, but it's just as tough finding a suitable replacement.

Not to mention, who f*cking cares what Pat Forde thinks, he needs something to do beisdes writing about the Rolla, Missouri ladies auxillary...

Edited by walksalone

The point is that 9 wins is fantastic and all and certainly better than "less than 9 wins" or whatever, but we all know that we would much rather have a 2-season stretch go 12-2, B1G and Rose Bowl Champs followed by 7-6, rather than two 9-4 seasons.

At some point, you have to win something. If you make it 7 years at Nebraska without a conference title and without a BCS Bowl appearance, let alone a BCS win (or a playoff appearance, or whatever you want the equivalent to be now) then you are not getting the job done.

I completely agree. I mean that would be us winning our first "major" bowl since... I believe 1999?