Are Armstrong's completions enough?

And nothing Armstrong has shown these past two years, has shown these actually reducing the number of turnovers. Unless you ignore last year and only take into account 5 games against weak competition.

I am specifically referring to 2014.....which I believe is this season......Armstrong has 2 INTs and 1 fumble. We want to reduce turnovers.....the quarterback position has been turnover filled the past 4 seasons, including Armstrong last season. Martinez was never able to significantly reduce his turnovers. We wanted to cut that number down in 2014. So far, not quite halfway through the season, Armstrong is delivering. If that continues, we have a great shot heading toward 11 wins or more.
I think it's fine to look at this years numbers, but you can't compare five games against weak competition to three years of entire seasons that include much stiffer competition. It's disingenuous. Now don't get me wrong I hope Armstrong keep the pace you set for this year, but as I said it's not fair to compare five games against win competition to Taylor Martinez's entire career. Although if you really want to I'm more than willing to talk about completion percentages in that case

He also has only taken two sacks this year and I don't believe he has lost a fumble.

He's lost one.

I stand corrected, thank you. But it is a far cry from the Taylor days...... I liked the kid but there were tons of fumbles. This link made me shake my head multiple times...

http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-turnovers-a-look-at-nebraskas-slippery-slope

I think the biggest difference between these two sides, it's people see Taylor Martinez as his entire career and people refuse to take into consideration Tommy's year last year saying how he was new. They complain about one quarterbacks completion percentage while saying it doesn't matter for the other.

In the end, they are two very different quarterbacks. They have different styles different strengths different weaknesses exactly, and I don't think it's fair to really compare the two. Because for some Martinez is always gonna be the better quarterback, and for others Armstrong will be.

Pretty much my feelings. I find out interesting how hypocritical fans can be at times.

I'm ready to never talk about Taylor again in regards to this program going forward. I thank him for the blood, sweat and tears he left on the field and wish him the best in whatever turn his life takes.

But I'm also not going to overlook that our QB still has ball security issues, and we haven't played some of the better defenses that we'll face.

And nothing Armstrong has shown these past two years, has shown these actually reducing the number of turnovers. Unless you ignore last year and only take into account 5 games against weak competition.

But again, there is a divide here. And I don't think us going over the exact same thing over and over and over is going to really make any difference in the long run other than furthering that divide.

Come on man, you are really starting to grasp at straws here.

Our team is turning the ball over less than in the past.

We had 8 turnovers (7 fumbles, 1 interception) through the first five games last season.

We had 10 turnovers (6 interceptions, 4 fumbles) through Tommy Armstrong's first five starts last season.

We have 5 turnovers (3 interceptions, 2 fumbles) through the first five games this season.

• Fire 1

Two fellers who hate Tommy both with the word Hunter in their username. Hmmm..

Who hates Tommy? Tommy seems like a great kid, i like him. I root for him cuz he's our QB.

He just isn't great. Hes an almost average, somewhat serviceable QB, doesn't mean he isn't likable.

You've already openly admitted you're trolling in response to people being critical of Pelini and Martinez. I don't think many people are going to buy this schtick.
I'm not trolling a bit. I'm just using the same criteria that we used the past few years to judge QB play. And you weren't watching the game with me Saturday, while i was cheering him on.

And this had little to do with Pelini, other than some demand championships this year, even tough we have below average play from the QB position

I guess I'm curious as to what you consider "average" and "above average"? I would hate to be a QB judged by your standards. I have my own personal criticisms of Tommy, pretty much all of which I think are teachable and we will start to see less and less of the more Tommy plays. One of my biggest criticisms is him not going through his check downs and just staring receivers down but overall I've been pretty happy with his play. Say you don't watch any of the games and are coming purely from a numbers standpoint, is Tommy still "below average"?

But again, there is a divide here. And I don't think us going over the exact same thing over and over and over is going to really make any difference in the long run other than furthering that divide.

We had 8 turnovers (7 fumbles, 1 interception) through the first five games last season.

We had 10 turnovers (6 interceptions, 4 fumbles) through Tommy Armstrong's first five starts last season.

We have 5 turnovers (3 interceptions, 2 fumbles) through the first five games this season.

The key word is team. We have 5 turnovers but 4 of them are because of one player. TA. I agree completely the team is doing much better when it comes to turnovers this year so far. But how many of the turnovers in the first 5 games last year were on the QB?

The key word is team. We have 5 turnovers but 4 of them are because of one player. TA. I agree completely the team is doing much better when it comes to turnovers this year so far. But how many of the turnovers in the first 5 games last year were on the QB?

Well if you compare sophomore to sophomore years instead of senior to sophomore, Taylor had 5 interceptions through 5 games in 2011 and I don't know how many fumbles.

Armstrong reminds me of Jamaal Lord. Both are big powerful runners. TA may have a better arm. I just wish he could read defenses a little better. By the way Jamaal Lord is one of all time favorite QBs. Broke Crouch's record, and received almost no credit.

No question TA has a better arm than Jamaal Lord. Jamaal was a helluva athlete, but that 2002 - 2003 Nebraska offense was painful to watch imo. Lord broke the record because he called his own number a lot, and was quick to scramble on pass plays that weren't allowed to develop. His per carry average was never impressive. Our broken plays tended to get more yards than designed plays. Lord put up some numbers, but they weren't in service of a successful offense. I think his place in Nebraska history is about where it should be. But he and Armstrong do carry themselves in a similar way, so I get the comparison.

• Fire 1

Who cares?

Quit comparing them.

The team is doing better with turnovers. Deal with it.

Who cares?

Quit comparing them.

The team is doing better with turnovers. Deal with it.

this. it seems like taylor keeps getting brought up because someone compliments tommy and then the comparisons come out, "he's not as good..."

we all need to stop bringing up taylor and we should really stop trying to sell tommy short for whatever reason people feel compelled to do so. why are so many people trying to cut tommy down? because people like him? and other people think liking a new qb is some sort of referendum on a previous qb?

also, it stands to reason that the player who touches the ball on every play would be most responsible for turnovers.

• Fire 4

MO, I'm using different numbers than Landlord when I'm finding my turnover numbers, so I don't know who is right. Nonetheless...

Last year, we had 7 turnovers through 5 games last year.

Of those, 2/7 were on the QB through five games. Both of them were on Taylor. A pick and a fumble in the first game against Wyoming.

He only played in 3 of those games. Tommy played in SDSU and Illinois games, and didn't account for a turnover.

If you include Taylor's only other game of the season, Minny, 3 of our 6 turnovers were on him, as he through a pick in that game.

So, Taylor's 4 2013 games: 3/6 turnovers on QB

For comparison:

Tommy's First 5 2014 games: 6/12 on Tommy, 7/12 on QBs (1 RKIII pick)

Taylor 2010 First 5 games: 5/10 on Taylor, 6/10 on QBs (1 Cody Green fumble)

Taylor's 2011 First 5 games: 5/9 on Taylor, 6/9 on QBs (1 Brion Carnes fumbles)

What really matters:

2013 first five games: 2/7 on QB

2013 first five Tommy: 6/12 on TA, 7/12 on QBs

2014 first five games: 4/5 on TA

So, in conclusion, I'd say you have a legitimate beef, but overall we've reduced our turnover margin substantially, and TA appears to be slowing his rate of turnovers as well, albeit gradually. 6 turnovers in his third thru fifth games last year. I'll take reducing that clip to 1 per game and having some games with zero. I think he's progressing.