MSU and the Playoff

Scratchtown

Most of the people who actually know what they are talking about say that the committee has been very clear that conference champions will be given exceptional consideration. An undefeated conference champion is basically a 100% lock to be in the playoff regardless of what bias you think may exist. A one loss conference champion is also much more likely to get the nod over a two loss team that is not a champ even if that team is in the SEC. The committee has been pretty adamant that conference championships are extremely important. This is of course mainly due to the fact that they want these games to still be a big deal on their own.

Even Greg Mcilroy who sh#ts all over the Big 10 every single day on Sirius said an undefeated Nebraska team is in period. No questions asked. He then of course went on to say in so many words that that won't happen because Nebraska is awful ;)

• Fire 1

Currently we are ranked the 5th best conference. Who ever wins the west in the SEC is going is my guess. I don't think the east winner can play with any of the top teams, being Bama, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. But someone has to lose out of that group. That is a murders row it appears. Oregon and UCLA seem to be the power on the west coast, if Oregon wins, that will drop the Big a slot unless Nebraska beats MSU twice. Florida State gets through its games undefeated, no way it does not go. Baylor/Oklahoma winner goes with one loss or less.

Our conference is considered so far below the others is the problem. Not saying we are but not much there to prove anyone wrong at this time. And no real chance of changing the perception. Weak assed schedules are going to have to end. McNeese state will haunt us if Bama is undefeated and one of the others has a single loss to the SEC champion.

It does not look good either way. Currently the only real chance for the Big to get a representative is for us to win out. If not, and things go as most think they will (who knows) the Big will be looking in and that in a way is good thing for the future. The first time one of the Big guys, not the ACC is setting out of the playoff, there is going to be screaming! 4 is not enough with 5 major conferences.

B1G is ahead of ACC now...

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/96256/conference-power-rankings-big-ten-is-up

I prefer the playoffs to be the winners of the power 5 conferences, and three additional teams chosen in a way that makes everyone mad.

Or do six teams. Power 5 champs and an at large bid. 1 and 2 get a bye. They don't want 8 because they think it will water down the importance of the regular season which I tend to agree with

• Fire 1

Currently we are ranked the 5th best conference. Who ever wins the west in the SEC is going is my guess. I don't think the east winner can play with any of the top teams, being Bama, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. But someone has to lose out of that group. That is a murders row it appears. Oregon and UCLA seem to be the power on the west coast, if Oregon wins, that will drop the Big a slot unless Nebraska beats MSU twice. Florida State gets through its games undefeated, no way it does not go. Baylor/Oklahoma winner goes with one loss or less.

Our conference is considered so far below the others is the problem. Not saying we are but not much there to prove anyone wrong at this time. And no real chance of changing the perception. Weak assed schedules are going to have to end. McNeese state will haunt us if Bama is undefeated and one of the others has a single loss to the SEC champion.

It does not look good either way. Currently the only real chance for the Big to get a representative is for us to win out. If not, and things go as most think they will (who knows) the Big will be looking in and that in a way is good thing for the future. The first time one of the Big guys, not the ACC is setting out of the playoff, there is going to be screaming! 4 is not enough with 5 major conferences.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/96256/conference-power-rankings-big-ten-is-up

I prefer the playoffs to be the winners of the power 5 conferences, and three additional teams chosen in a way that makes everyone mad.

Or do six teams. Power 5 champs and an at large bid. 1 and 2 get a bye. They don't want 8 because they think it will water down the importance of the regular season which I tend to agree with

I agree. What makes college football special is the excitement of the regular season. Expanding the playoffs to more than 4 teams begins to take away some of that excitement in my opinion.

I like having a 4 team playoff, 6 is the absolute limit. If you start to have 8 teams, you'll have some teams that are in the running for a national championship with 2 losses, which I really don't like.

I agree. What makes college football special is the excitement of the regular season. Expanding the playoffs to more than 4 teams begins to take away some of that excitement in my opinion.

I like having a 4 team playoff, 6 is the absolute limit. If you start to have 8 teams, you'll have some teams that are in the running for a national championship with 2 losses, which I really don't like.

One of the main reasons I dislike even a 4 team playoff is because it becomes much easier to expand it to at least 8 teams in a few years. There's too much money involved now.

I am just posting this now to see what it looks like in December. A lot of guessing for sure.

Not posted in response to anyone, just thoughts of what might happen.

Florida State goes undefeated

Notre Dame 1 loss

Bama goes undefeated

Auburn loses to Bama close

Oregon goes undefeated

Baylor goes undefeated

Oklahoma 1 loss

Nebraska goes undefeated

BYU goes undefeated

Currently there are several others, Mississippi State, A&M, UCLA, Ole Miss that could have great seasons. And each and every one of them will have played a tougher schedule than we will have.

Tell me who goes

Now I seriously doubt this could happen, not even close, but there are 5 undefeated teams in the West division of the SEC and all are in the top 15 I think. Getting through that with even two losses looks a lot better than our whole body of work. Having a weak conference and weak out of conference schedule will hurt in the eyes of the real football people on the board is my guess

This is our only chance of getting in the playoff, win this game and do it soundly. Balls to the wall from the start to the last second.

We would not be in the hunt because we never beat a top ten team. We win out Michigan State falls out of the top 20, Wisconsin falls out of the top 20, and take the McNeese state game into consideration, you know all will.

Realistically I see this possible this year

Florida State 12-0

Oklahoma 12-0

Oregon 12-0

BYU 12-0

Bama 11-1

Auburn 11-1

Notre Dame 11-1 If they finish the season with a 11-1 with their schedule they deserve to be in.

UCLA 11-1

Baylor 11-1

If we do not beat Michigan State, there is a good chance our conference will be looking in. And with strong finishes by any of the those listed, us winning out could have us setting out of the top 4 to.

Now these are not predictions just looking at things as they may go.

As to Sirius, I never hear McElroy, he must come on very early. Eddie George/Packer really like Nebraska, and feel if they get by Michigan State there is a good chance of them getting in. Both have been praising Nebraska a lot. Packer has been saying it since his trip to Nebraska in August. There is a lot of positive on the radio for our Huskers for sure. Childers and Braden Gaul, do not seem to be as far on the bus as the others though.

Anyway winning a weak conference with no real top ten teams will hurt us in the end I think.

And there is absolutely no way for the conference to gain in prestige.

I am just posting this now to see what it looks like in December. A lot of guessing for sure.

Not posted in response to anyone, just thoughts of what might happen.

Florida State goes undefeated

Notre Dame 1 loss

Bama goes undefeated

Auburn loses to Bama close

Oregon goes undefeated

Baylor goes undefeated

Oklahoma 1 loss

Nebraska goes undefeated

BYU goes undefeated

Tell me who goes

Florida State, Oregon, Alabama and either Baylor or Nebraska.

Although that will never, ever, happen. So it's kind of pointless to even ask a hypothetical that preposterous.

• Fire 1

Then put it as Michigan State at 11-1.

It is a very strong possibility that the Big 10 could be looking in. If it was the ACC, not a big deal, but any of the other 4 and there are going to be problems and quickly I think. Especially with Notre Dame getting back to relevance. Two of them setting out, oh my gawd.

Like I said, doubtful any of this could happen as it normally sorts itself out in the last two to three weeks, just fun to think what might happen if two of the big 5 are looking in at the end of the year. Bama could lose two and still be SEC champion. What then?

College football, you just never know.

Then put it as Michigan State at 11-1.

It is a very strong possibility that the Big 10 could be looking in. If it was the ACC, not a big deal, but any of the other 4 and there are going to be problems and quickly I think. Especially with Notre Dame getting back to relevance. Two of them setting out, oh my gawd.

Like I said, doubtful any of this could happen as it normally sorts itself out in the last two to three weeks, just fun to think what might happen if two of the big 5 are looking in at the end of the year. Bama could lose two and still be SEC champion. What then?

College football, you just never know.

When he said it couldn't happen, it wasn't because you had Nebraska instead of MSU.

This playoff talk in the sports media is really quite entertaining. It mirrors what is happening in the media at large, which is equally ridiculous. You create a bunch of media capacity (air time) and then you try to fill it to keep listeners/viewers/readers engaged. What would you talk about for hours and hours if you had to fill up that time? It's the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. In other words, instead of the news driving the coverage, we have coverage driving the news.

So there's that.

I just want to watch the games and enjoy the season. I don't give a crap about the playoffs right now. Nebraska might not even win their next game, let alone worrying about the playoffs.

But on that subject, there's no way to know how the wins and losses will shake out at the end of the season. MSU was in it at the end last year with a loss. That should be all the evidence anyone needs that it's possible for any one-loss Big Ten team to make it into a playoff depending on how things shake out. Nebraska is currently ranked higher than MSU was last year at this point. Other teams will lose, too. A lot.

Then, the other part of this playoff argument is quite instructive. That is, this talk of two SEC teams, or a two-loss SEC team "making it in." What's stupid about that argument is that conferences don't play games, teams do. It all depends on the team and their schedule's strength at the end of the year. I expect three of the SEC West teams to be proven complete frauds within the next couple weeks. At best, there will be two teams in there worthy of any national interest, which isn't much better than most other divisions in CFB.

The SEC East has no particularly impressive teams, and their records reflect that fact. In the West: AtM (barely beat bottom-dweller Arkansas), LSU (barely beat Wisky with a dumpster fire at QB), Ole Miss (taken to the fourth quarter by shell-of-its-former-self Boise State, which also lost to Air Force) and Auburn (Kansas State beat itself) have been unimpressive. Alabama looked ordinary against West Virginia, and I haven't watched Miss. State play so I can't speak to them.

The SEC will beat itself up. Not because it's so great, but because it's so ordinary. There's plenty of room in the playoffs for a 1-loss Big Ten team, but as with the SEC teams, it all depends on how they play over the next two months and who's left at the end.

"As to Sirius, I never hear McElroy, he must come on very early"

Yeah he's on the early show. Ill give a sample of his feelings regarding Ameer. I'll paraphrase. Basically they were comparing Ameer, Gordon, and Gurley. He thought Ameer was the worst of the three but said that because Nebraskas other RBs are so weak Ameer gets more yards because he is the only "bell cow" for our offense where Gurley and Gordon have backups who are also good and take yardage from them. He's wrong on so many levels there that I don't know where to start

Of course, he then went on to say that the Heisman should be a QB only award. He had a bunch of BS to justify this going so far as to essentially say his own backs Ingram and Richardson proved his point because they were just as good with either. He basically got crucified by callers for the next hour for it.

It's very apparent that he thinks very little of Nebraska and the Big10 in general and will crap on the conference any chance he gets.

He did concede that if Nebraska runs the table they couldn't possibly leave them out of the playoff though. While that seems obvious, I'm not sure he actually thinks that should be the case

"As to Sirius, I never hear McElroy, he must come on very early"

Yeah he's on the early show. Ill give a sample of his feelings regarding Ameer. I'll paraphrase. Basically they were comparing Ameer, Gordon, and Gurley. He thought Ameer was the worst of the three but said that because Nebraskas other RBs are so weak Ameer gets more yards because he is the only "bell cow" for our offense where Gurley and Gordon have backups who are also good and take yardage from them. He's wrong on so many levels there that I don't know where to start

Of course, he then went on to say that the Heisman should be a QB only award. He had a bunch of BS to justify this going so far as to essentially say his own backs Ingram and Richardson proved his point because they were just as good with either. He basically got crucified by callers for the next hour for it.

It's very apparent that he thinks very little of Nebraska and the Big10 in general and will crap on the conference any chance he gets.

He did concede that if Nebraska runs the table they couldn't possibly leave them out of the playoff though. While that seems obvious, I'm not sure he actually thinks that should be the case

Who are you talking about?