MSU and the Playoff

Scratchtown

If Oregon is the Pac-12 champion, a one-loss MSU team will have a very good case. Only loss to the champion of the perceived second-best conference on the road early in the year.

I don't disagree that they would deserve it. Only issue might be the commitee not wanting to setup a rematch. Might be a reason to give the nod to another 1 loss team.

I really think it is too soon to say, crazy things happen late in the year.

Last year, after week ten, here were your BCS rankings:

• #1 Alabama
  • #2 Oregon
  • #3 Florida State
  • #4 Ohio State
  • #7 Miami
  • #11 Auburn
  • #22 Michigan State

To end the year:

• #1 Florida State (Conference Champion)
  • #2 Auburn (CC)
  • #3 Alabama (2nd in division)
  • #4 Michigan State (CC)
  • #10 Oregon
  • UR Miami

Point being, it is impossible to predict after Week 10, let alone Week 5.

I believe MSU would/should have got in if we had a committee last year, and they had one loss to a team that ended 9-4 and unranked. They weren't getting passed by a two-loss Stanford/Oregon or one-loss Baylor. It is not unreasonable to think that a one-loss MSU (Oregon), Wisconsin (LSU), or Nebraska (MSU/Wisconsin) could get in.

• Fire 2

Undefeated Nebraska = playoffs. There just won't be 5 undefeated teams.

One loss Nebraska - if we lose to MSU @ MSU and beat them in the CCG, we are in the playoff IF there are multiple 2 loss teams. All things being equal, we won't make it. Started the season ranked too low, that's why I hate these garbage pre season rankings.

i will preface this with saying i think it would be a miracle for us to make it to the playoffs. we would have to go undefeated and that is asking a lot. and any loss kicks us out and given our schedule, we most likely will suffer losses from division foes, kicking us out of even the ccg.

but you are kidding yourself if you do not think winning this game would not get us in the conversation.

No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State -- Surprise. The game with the biggest playoff implications is not in the SEC West. This Big Ten matchup could knock Sparty out of the playoff entirely. It's one thing to lose to Oregon; it's another to try to make the four-team playoff with two losses and your best win coming over Nebraska in the Big Ten title game. Conversely, a win in East Lansing could vault the Huskers into the playoff conversation. They're the only undefeated team left in the Big Ten, and the toughest game left on their schedule is against No. 17 Wisconsin. If Nebraska pulls off the upset, it's time to take it seriously as a playoff team.

Week 6 playoff implications

• Fire 2

i will preface this with saying i think it would be a miracle for us to make it to the playoffs. we would have to go undefeated and that is asking a lot. and any loss kicks us out and given our schedule, we most likely will suffer losses from division foes, kicking us out of even the ccg.

but you are kidding yourself if you do not think winning this game would not get us in the conversation.

No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State -- Surprise. The game with the biggest playoff implications is not in the SEC West. This Big Ten matchup could knock Sparty out of the playoff entirely. It's one thing to lose to Oregon; it's another to try to make the four-team playoff with two losses and your best win coming over Nebraska in the Big Ten title game. Conversely, a win in East Lansing could vault the Huskers into the playoff conversation. They're the only undefeated team left in the Big Ten, and the toughest game left on their schedule is against No. 17 Wisconsin. If Nebraska pulls off the upset, it's time to take it seriously as a playoff team.

^^ This.

To get into the playoffs we'd have to win out. Could that happen? Sure. But it's a longshot. And if we don't win Lansing the Saturday it's done. There is no way a one-loss Nebr teams sees the playoffs. Even if we win out from there on in.

I agree win this game and we've just put the nation on notice and we'll be getting talked about A LOT more than we are now. I think it's a tall order to run the table, but anything's possible at this point and the whole season is in front of us. This game is going to be really tough though and we have land mines along with the way. Wisconsin and Iowa are going to be tough games and I still think Northwestern will as well. All of those games are away which is scary too...........

Sirius was saying yesterday that a two loss SEC team might bump a undefeated Big10 team. I find that hard to believe, but there was strong feelings that it could happen. But if the West is as strong as it appears, going to be hard to get through it without a loss.

I really could care less at this time. I would just like to think we could win our games one at a time, and be concerned with what happens until all are played. A couple of years ago we were going to the Rose Bowl and a team we had beaten before just kicked the living crap out of us. These things can happen and do happen to Nebraska. I suggest we actually win Saturday and then after before we even think about being in or left out of any Playoff.

I'd be willing to bet this wouldn't happen. If there's an undefeated p5 school, they're going to the playoffs unless there's 5 undefeated p5 schools. The NCAA is not going to blow up their playoff system one year in by letting a 2 loss team in over an undefeated team.