Any chance Gregory stays?

Gregory has occupied the attention of a lot of blockers this year. The problem has been that, due to scheme, the other linemen aren't allowed to immediately take advantage of that by shedding blocks and aggressively pursuing the ball.

Gregory hasn't been as outstanding stat-wise this year compared to last, but he's been a presence, and a key piece of the D Line.

The idea that Gregory has intentionally half-assed this year, and/or skipped the Iowa game to protect his draft stock, is ludicrous.

• Fire 2

I'm not typically skeptical, but if he was sore and beaten down going into Iowa week, I can see how Bo and RG might have had a sit down to discuss his future. An injury in the last game of year would invoke rehab prior to combine, and drop his draft value some. The game wasn't deciding a team championship. But like I said, that's being skeptical of me.

The structure of the NFL draft allots money per pick. The top half is 4 year guarantee, but after that the 4th year guarantee becomes negotiable. 2nd round picks are guaranteed the first two years of the 4 year contract. If you get waived after two years as a 2nd round pick, damaged goods etc, a team doesn't pay you for the last two. Here is the money allotted per pick from the past draft. A pretty big difference between a 5th pick and 15th for example.

1 Houston Jadeveon Clowney $22,272,998
2 St. Louis Greg Robinson $21,284,098

3 Jacksonville Blake Bortles $20,654,810
4 Buffalo Sammy Watkins $19,935,603

5 Oakland Kahlil Mack $18,676,999
6 Atlanta Jake Matthews $16,429,501

7 Tampa Bay Mike Evans $14,631,502
8 Cleveland Justin Gilbert $12,833,502

9 Minnesota Anthony Barr $12,743,500
10 Detroit Eric Ebron $12,249,149

11 Tennessee Taylor Lewan $11,485,004
12 New York Odell Beckham $10,406,198

13 St Louis Aaron Donald $10,136,500
14 Chicago Kyle Fuller $9,687,002

15 Pittsburgh Ryan Shazier $9,507,212
16 Dallas Zach Martin $8,967,800

17 Baltimore C.J. Mosley $8,787,999
18 New York Calvin Pryor $8,563,253

19 Miami Ja’Waun James $8,428,398
20 New Orleans Brandin Cooks $8,383,452

21 Green Bay Ha Ha Clinton-Dix $8,338,501

And as for Mel Kiper lol....He has been known to hype his projections emphatically on a players physical measurables (height/weight/arm length/hand size/40 speed/bench/neck length) for his expert analysis. He usually skips over the concept of wysiwyg on the field. He can't mention a player without immediately mentioning his height and weight first and foremost. He get's many people mislead and focusing on that as a translation to success.

22 Cleveland Johnny Manziel $8,247,250
23 Kansas City Dee Ford $8,158,700

24 Cincinnati Darqueze Dennard $7,978,898
25 San Diego Jason Verrett $7,889,002

26 Philadelphia Marcus Smith $7,799,088
27 Arizona Deone Bucannon $7,709,202

28 Carolina Kelvin Benjamin $7,664,250
29 New England Dominique Easley $7,303,549

30 San Francisco Jimmie Ward $7,112,534
31 Denver Bradley Roby $6,952,528

32 Minnesota Teddy Bridgewater $6,849,502

Just read this and found it odd. Makes me wonder exactly why Gregory wasn't available for the Iowa game:

Also Thursday, Cotton said NU hopes to have Randy Gregory back after the junior defensive end sat out the Iowa game, “but that has not been cleared up yet.”

LINK

Doesn't sound like an illness. Maybe concussion? Maybe the knee injury?

Maybe disciplinary?

I heard maybe a puff puff problem. My source has partied with him and some other players. This is purely speculative on his part.

I thought at the beginning of the iowa broadcast they had Gregory out because of a concussion on their graphic? He did bang his head hard early in that Minnesota game

Ah. Good memory:

LINK

Earlier in the week, Huskers coach Bo Pelini had said Gregory was 50-50 to play because of an illness. But ABC, which is televising the game, reported that Gregory is suffering from a concussion and an ankle injury.

The NFL will grab him in the first round by time its all said and done. Even though he is about 15-20lbs underweight for NFL DE. He's a little too lean and will get worn down. I hope he returns for my selfish Husker reasons, and I think he is still a year away from being able to put it all together. Not the best against the run for example.

why do people keep saying he is going to play DE in the NFL he is being projected by everyone to be a 3-4 OLB this thing about staying to get bigger doesn't matter

The NFL will grab him in the first round by time its all said and done. Even though he is about 15-20lbs underweight for NFL DE. He's a little too lean and will get worn down. I hope he returns for my selfish Husker reasons, and I think he is still a year away from being able to put it all together. Not the best against the run for example.

why do people keep saying he is going to play DE in the NFL he is being projected by everyone to be a 3-4 OLB this thing about staying to get bigger doesn't matter

An NFL 3-4 OLB is more similar to a defensive end than it is to a LB. Anyways the average size of an NFL OLB is 6-3.5 and 262 pounds. Ranging from 225 to 290. He is a little undersized and could stand to gain some weight, but he could still be very effective at his current weight and speed.

Because of why he missed Iowa and chances of missing a bowl game, his draft status may plummet. That does bode well for him coming back next season. He didn't miss the Iowa game because of injury, unless it was glaucoma, and that 'cure' may also have him miss the bowl game.