***** What did we learn - Rutgers Edition *****

Tim Beck and his plan to literally waste 2-3 possessions per half is going to lose us some imprortant games yet this season. The guy can take a hike.

I'd like to know what 2-3 possessions each half Beck wasted today.

I would like to know that as well. I admit that I am usually very critical of beck, but he called a pretty good game today. Give credit where credit is due

I'm guessing someone will say the three and out (INT) where we threw the ball three times. On first down, we tried to get the ball to DPL, as harped on HB. On another drive, maybe we should have gone for it on fourth and one. Other than that, what was so erratic and deserving of firing?

Beck hatred is hilarious.

Ameer is unbelievable.

DPL has me on edge of seat every punt.

Add up how many times he's been given a short field and come away with 0 points, then tell me how hilarious it is.

Beck likes to throw deep the first play after a turnover. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is 2nd and 10. I prefer to pound the ball with a short field.

If Moore had caught that pass after Gerry's int it would have been a sure TD. Instead it hits him in the hands and falls to the ground. It was a great play call by Beck. Just poorly executed.

And please remember that we tried pounding the ball with a short field in the 3rd or 4th and had a quick 3 and out, afterwards Rutgers immediately scored a TD.

• Fire 1

Solid win. We controlled the game. I never felt like Rutgers could beat us in this game or come back. I predicted the score (was off by 1 point for each team).

Ameer was awesome. Bell and Westy performed as I knew they could. Moore looked better today. Gregory was hungry and wreaking havoc.

While we clearly had the better team, the game was sloppy at times. Mitchell's lateral. Tommy can't throw the INT. Pull it down, run, and get some yards. The bad snaps...we have to change this up...way too easy for the defense to know the snap. M. Pelini is basically getting bowled over making bad snaps because the opposing DL has timed it.

Our defense made the starting Rutgers QB look like a mess but I did not like how the new QB could come in and just go on big runs. When the QB is out of the pocket we still have issues.

I hate the DB technique to not look for the ball...we get burned on that and exceptional teams and WR's will just kill us on that. Get rid of that technique yesterday as it is garbage at every level.

Nice win but lots of areas to clean up and improve if we want to do something really great this year. We are right there...better execution in a few phases and we can win the BIG...but if we continue to play sloppy forget about it. Ameer and Gregory have raised their game and we need some others to do the same.

• Fire 1

I hate the DB technique to not look for the ball...we get burned on that and exceptional teams and WR's will just kill us on that. Get rid of that technique yesterday as it is garbage at every level.

Some of the best defenses in the country teach the same technique, including Narduzzi at MSU.

From Bo's postgame presser (available on the front page)...On Josh Mitchell's lateral: "I think he lost his mind. Almost made me lose my mind." :lol:Bo's 100% in how he's handling his press conferences and setting the tone and putting the right message out there so far this season. It's great to see and almost a little hard to believe, ha!

He's honestly been a lot more candid this year...saying a lot of good things...little less coach speak this year, that's for sure.

Some of the best defenses in the country teach the same technique, including Narduzzi at MSU.

I still don't like it. Especially with small CBs. I would throw the ball and hope for a catch or a PI.

Tim Beck and his plan to literally waste 2-3 possessions per half is going to lose us some imprortant games yet this season. The guy can take a hike.

I'd like to know what 2-3 possessions each half Beck wasted today.

We not only run plays/series to set up future plays in the game, but, we run plays/series to set up future plays in future games. Those 50 yard runs from AA don't come about because we run it in the A/B gaps from the I formation every play.

• Fire 2

I was just happy to see Imani get more than three carries. Nebraska, still undefeated when Imani gets four or more carries...

Ya. Because he gets carries in scrap time when we have it locked up.

Yeah, mostly the reason. But still, I was surprised he didn't get a single carry against MSU, after averaging 17 yards a carry against them in 2013. His Mom is a family friend, and thus my love for the Cross family. On a serious note, I believe Imani deserves some credit for helping Ameer become the runner he is this year. Imani came in as a workout beast,pushing Ameer, and Ameer has obviously gone to work in the weight room. Ameer is not just getting the goal line carries this year because of his Heisman campaign, he has become a ferocious inside runner himself.

Nice timing...watching Michigan v Michigan State, just now MSU goes for a pick 6. DB clearly looking back at the QB to know where the ball is. Perfect.

Edit: ABC just showed it on a replay of the entire field. All 7 MSU players in coverage have their eyes on the QB. That is how you do it.

Moore seems off and on. I can't wait for the day he turns it on permanently. Folks are too critical of Drew Brown, I know there is a expectation for a kicker named Brown at Nebraska, but give the kid some credit for being a true freshman kicker, he has a lot of kicking at Nebraska to do. No sense to demean him for his first season.

Mark Pelini is the starting center because he is the most experienced center we have. Is he the best option we have? Probably not. Reeves might finally be finding a more solid role on the Offensive Line. But c'mon guys, Mark Pelini isn't starting at center because he is Bo's nephew. That kind of talk is just conspiracy theorist talk. I've heard folks say that the 2nd string offensive line plays better than the 1st string. You know they may throw a bigger block, or open a bigger hole on the run, or are quicker to side step and block a DE well on pass protection, but did you ever think that maybe its because they aren't consistent with that play in practice? or maybe they commit too many penalties in practice? like the false start, or the holding calls? Just food for thought.

Congrats to Kenny Bell on beating Nate Swift's record, extra kudos knowing he has been dinged up. Congrats to Ameer for his record setting day. How far is he away from Mike Rozier again? It would be a crime if his name and number isn't on Memorial Stadium next season.

• Fire 1

I think I learned that Tommy needs practice passing under pressure......put a green shirt on him and let our D go after him while he tries to run nothing but pass plays.

It's okay for Tim to practice in a real game like he did when we're up by 21, but I don't see us getting the kind of pressure from weaker uninspired defenses that Tommy will need to get good enough to handle the tough ones. Otherwise we'll come up against a stone wall when we play somebody good.

I think Tommy has improved every game, but he still has some bugs to work out.

Edit: I still say it's more the Jimmys and the Joes than the Timmys and the Bos. Our coaches are providing good enough strategy for good players to get the job done and we just need guys to keep stepping up and making plays.