Keys to beating Wisconsion

Run the ball.

Stop the run.

Win the game.

I am very afraid they will shut down our running game like Sparty did.

National Ranks of Rushing Offense, by opponent:

LSU: 26th

Western Illinois: 81st of 121 in FCS

Bowling Green: 60th

South Fla: 111th

Northwestern: 107th

Illinois: 116th

Maryland: 106th

Rutgers: 88th

They've sure done a good job of shutting down the other powerhouse running teams they've faced...

• Fire 1

People, People People...they got beat by Northwestern. And they rolled some weak teams to make themselves look menacing. Let's not call them Michigan State here.....

They lost to LSU and NW. It's noted in their record.

But what's up with this thing about "making themselves look menacing?" :dumdum

Would be wise not to fail to see they have one of the best defenses in all of college football - better than MSU - along with one of the best running games around and home field advantage that makes this game very, very difficult for the Huskers. So please explain your brash confidence.

Establish the run. Work in some Diamond, I formation, etc...

Screen passes to AA or Newby

Have to get DPE more involved in the offense besides the return game

Don't try to run an up tempo offense, this is a heavyweight fight...

Shut down their passing game so that they have to rely on Gordon...

• Fire 1

They've sure done a good job of shutting down the other powerhouse running teams they've faced...

Okay but you also need to realize that a small part of why those teams are ranked so low is because the played Wisconsin.

I'd almost like to see the game started by Cross or Newby. Run them HARD for a quarter, straight downhill at Wisconsin. Wear their line/LBs down a little (get a feel for how well our OL feels like protecting a RB) before we consider sending Ameer out there. I don't care if he's 110% healthy, that'd be what I'd do.

I'd put Gordon on the ground every time we had a chance, ball or not. Like UCLA did to Martinez. Hit him early and often so he is fighting for every yard, block or motion from the backfield.

Wisconsin is 119th in the country in passing offense, 2nd in the nation in rushing offense. They already rely on Gordon cause their passing game sucks! Our defense is 25th in the nation against the rush, hit Gordon, wrap his a$$ up, and drive him into the ground cause he doesn't go down easily. We're the best team Wisconsin will face this season, period, there is no arguing that. They haven't faced a rushing team like us yet which is why their defense is ranked 11th in the nation against the run. It's going to be a tough game, we just have to be smart and not go full retard on offense.

• Fire 1

Okay but you also need to realize that a small part of why those teams are ranked so low is because the played Wisconsin.

You don't get dinged THAT much for one bad game. We rushed for 47 yards in the MSU game and we're ranked 8th in rushing offense.

• Fire 2

5- Beck needs to not get too cutsie and not panic if we get down a score or two.

I guess this is valid but considering how often we've come back from two score deficits over the last couple years I'm not sure how much of a concern it is.

There have been times where we've come back from being down. But, there also have been times where Beck has paniced and contributed to some of our worst blowout losses. It's been a mixed bag. I guess I'm a little gun shy when it comes to playing Wiscy.

I am going to contradict a lot of people in Husker Nation.

I believe we have to have an affective passing game in this game. They are 121st in passing yards in the nation. They are 3rd in rushing yards in the nation. We need the passing game to kill them early and often.

That doesn't mean we need to pass the ball 45 times a game. It also does't mean we need 70% completion rate. If we have a 55% completion rate and complete some key plays in the first half, the game is going to be much easier in the second half. They also are tied for 18th in sacks with three per game. So, they are probably going to sack TA a couple times. That doesn't mean we suck or our OL is absolutely terrible or that Beck is evil. It means they have some pass rushers. However, we should be able to get yards and points with the pass in this game.

Wisconsin is 119th in the country in passing offense, 2nd in the nation in rushing offense. They already rely on Gordon cause their passing game sucks! Our defense is 25th in the nation against the rush, hit Gordon, wrap his a$$ up, and drive him into the ground cause he doesn't go down easily. We're the best team Wisconsin will face this season, period, there is no arguing that. They haven't faced a rushing team like us yet which is why their defense is ranked 11th in the nation against the run. It's going to be a tough game, we just have to be smart and not go full retard on offense.

I think LSU would have a legit argument.

• Fire 1

Really?

LSU Total defense: 15th

LSU Rushing defense: 63rd

LSU Passing defense: 4th

LSU Total offense: 62nd

LSU Rushing offense: 24th

LSU Passing offense: 99th

Nebraska Total defense: 25th

Nebraska Rushing defense: 26th

Nebraska Passing defense: 47th

Nebraska Total offense: 20th

Nebraska Rushing offense: 7th

Nebraska Passing offense: 81st

We're Top 25 in total offense and defense, they're only Top 25 in defense.

• Fire 1

Really?

LSU Total defense: 15th

LSU Rushing defense: 63rd

LSU Passing defense: 4th

LSU Total offense: 62nd

LSU Rushing offense: 24th

LSU Passing offense: 99th

Nebraska Total defense: 25th

Nebraska Rushing defense: 26th

Nebraska Passing defense: 47th

Nebraska Total offense: 20th

Nebraska Rushing offense: 7th

Nebraska Passing offense: 81st

We're Top 25 in total offense and defense, they're only Top 25 in defense.

their sos is 8, ours is 72.

• Fire 2

On O we have to avoid turnovers. The passing game has to click. Make them respect the pass and we can run on them. Tommy is going to have to be at the top of his game. Beck can't out-think himself. Fix the damn snaps.

On D we have to tackle in space when they use the damn jet-sweeps that killed us last time. We can't get gouged on the early downs. We're a good 3rd-down team. Get them into 3rd and long and we'll stop them. We won't stone Gordon/Clement but we can't be giving up over 5yds a pop. If McElroy comes in I'd like to see some zone to keep eyes on him when he runs, maybe grab a pick.

I hope Bondi is healthy and on enough to give Brown some competition. Having a frosh kicker on a cold-streak is scary.