Greetings from an old foe...

TrueMizzou

Well it's been four years since we last faced each other, and much has happened since then. I thought I would check in, share some of my thoughts on our SEC experience, and collect some of yours regarding the B1G.

What do you think of it so far? Given the dynamics that existed in the Big-12, do you think leaving was the right move?

Do you feel you're being accorded an appropriate amount of respect by the other B1G fan bases?

What do you think of the football that's played there? And how does it compare to what we had in the Big-8 & Big-12?

With respect to Mizzou, I'm largely ambivalent.

While I'm thankful we were able to get away from the Texas cancer, I hate the fact it was necessary. The Longhorns were homeless, the Big-8 took them in, and they ended up burning down our house. If we only knew...

I miss the Big-8 in a huge way, but also recognize there is no way it would survive in today's landscape of mega-conferences with billion-dollar TV contracts. It would have imploded or been taken apart sooner or later.

I'm pleased to be in the SEC, but have been shocked at the hostility of many of their fans. Mizzou has never been a dominant power, and we likely never will be, so I have a difficult time understanding the hate and venom that gets thrown our way on places like SECRant. We're no threat to the Bamas and LSUs of the world.

Strangely enough, a lot of it is based on the Yankee/Midwest/Northerner thing, and has very little to do with football. And Southerners wonder why the rest of the country think they're backward.

At first we were thrilled to be in the SEC, and football-wise we still are. But a lot of my fellow Tiger fans are starting to see the dynamics of the situation for what they are: When Mizzou wins an SEC game, all it means is that the other team sucks, has injuries, etc. When Mizzou loses, it only confirms that we suck. Our home loss to Indiana was devastating in that regard (thank you Coach Pinkel). It's a lose-lose situation.

Truth be told, I think the old guard SEC types are threatened by any success Mizzou has; it upsets the perception they have of themselves. Whatever. We're there, we're not going anywhere, and we're taking our share of the revenue.

As we finish our third season in the conference, I believe that Mizzou is a little better than some of the bubbas thought we were, and that the SEC isn't as good as they like to think it is. I still think it's the best conference, but the distance between it and the others isn't that great. Michigan State would definitely challenge, and perhaps 'the' OSU if they consistently played the way they did Saturday night.

MU's success thus far has helped to expose that fact (along with mind-numbing games like LSU-Bama - two anemic offenses battling solid defenses), and I take some pride in it. At any rate, we'll continue to take scalps when we can and hang them in our solidly Midwestern tipi.

I'm not all embarrassed to say that I miss seeing you on our schedule. Yes there was hate, but it was hate borne of respect for a hard-hitting program supported by fans who know their football. For all their self-professed fanaticism, SEC fans seem to want to talk about everything BUT football. I wish their board was like this one.

Here's hoping we meet in a bowl game one day. That would be awesome.

Best of luck to you guys...

TrueMizzou

• Fire 9

Glad we left. I like the brand of football. Tired of the no-respect perception of the B1G. Rutgers and Maryland?

I miss KU, Kstate and Mizzou. Still hate Texas. I hope Mizzou can rattle the cages in SEC.

I think initially we were a great for the B1G, but another year might have put us in the SEC w you guys. Operationally and football wise, so so glad we left the B12. Starting to develop some kind of rivalries, which helps.

The fans seem pretty happy with us, from other schools. Wisc is like CU, Illinois is like KU, etc...I think if we would actually have won something these first 4 yrs it woulda helped. Overall time will shed the memories of the old conferences and we'll be just fine in the new one.

Cheers

Here's hoping we meet in a bowl game one day. That would be awesome.

Yeah. Or a home-and-away series. There are several old Big 12 (and Big 8!) foes I'd love to see the Huskers play. Oklahoma, Mizzou, aTm, Kansas State (since they don't suck anymore. lol), and even even the Stronghorns would all be great out-of-conference series.

Wisconsin cant stand being hitched to the school it copied its recipe from. Other than that the fans have been pretty great.

Hate the fact the Big 12 gets so much love now that its a watered down version of itself.

Was really pulling for Mizzou in the title game last year, good luck to you guys.

Miss the Big 8 don't miss the rest of the Big 12. Glad we aren't a part of that mess - texas is a cancer. I'd like to see our non-conf came contain old big 8 rivals from the 3 power conferences - MO in the SEC, CO in Pac 12 and the others in the Big 12. I'd like to see MO win the SEC just to put a dent in the image. In the same way, I like seeing TCU or Baylor win the Big 12 - putting it to texas and ou.

Mizzou should be the 8th B1G west team. If they aren't going to put Mizzou in the SEC West then whats the point? A midwestern school is like a redheaded stepchild nowhere near anyone of their supposed "rivals"

1006 miles to UF

869 miles to So Car

733 miles to UGA

608 miles to UT

459 miles to UK

430 miles to VU

318 miles to Nebraska

230 miles to Iowa

269 miles to Illinois

479 miles to Minnesota

385 miles to Northwestern

360 miles to Turdue

419 miles to UW

• Fire 1

Time apparently heals all wounds. The past that I remember was a southern political power shift, offices and a CCG moving south, disproportionate payouts, and lopsided votes. What our football team did or did not do on the field would not have changed any of the events that I just listed. Of course I miss the old Big 8 conference foes, but I'll never think moving out of that toxic mess was anything but a major upgrade across the board. In addition, a degree from a Big Ten university typically carries a little more prestige nationally than one from the Big 12. Your children will be better off because of it.

I only miss playing Oklahoma every year but that died when the Big 12 was formed. The Big 8 was a lot of fun. I like the B1G more so that I live in MN and get to see the Huskers on BTN and at least a game every other year.

I don't mind adding Rutgers and Maryland. But I do feel that we are missing something more in the conference. Maybe a couple strong basketball programs to even it out.

Lets face it...if NU wins that Big 12 Championship game, if UT had missed the FG or if the play never even happened...none of us Husker fans would have "wanted out" like we most of us did AFTER that game.

Ummm....no.....me wanting out had very little to do with that particular game.

I agree. I never liked the Big 12 or any team from Texas from the beginning.

I prefer the B1G. I think it fits the Huskers better. Every conference game can be seen on the network when not an ESPN/ABC game. In the Big 12 the conference felt divided. The schedule was getting too stagnant playing ISU, KU, etc for life. CU was becoming awful and KSU was up and down. Missouri was competitive and was the most excitable game to look forward among the divisional games.

Since the split, I have no ill feelings towards MU when they play someone, or even KSU. I even pull for ISU at times. I get plenty of Big 12 coverage among Texas teams since I've grew up/lived most of my life (30 years) in fort worth (born in Omaha up until age10). The conference formation was a real let down. I had such high hopes. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a lack unity in the Big 12 from my perspective down here.