If Bo is let go - who could Nebraska get

Scott Frost won't come here to be an OC. Only a HC. He's got too good of a thing going at Oregon for a horizontal move.

he would come if he knew within 3 years he'd be HC

Why would Tressel come here if he knew within 3 years he wouldn't be HC?

Maybe it'd be a year or two longer than 3 years, and, because Tress's like umpteen billion years old. He'd probably only wanna go at it that long anyway, JUST long enough to patch up his legacy, win us umpteen Big Ten titles in a row, and move on like he did at ohio St.

Why not dig up dead Vince Lombardi and install him as HC? Think about it before you react. He'll provide continuity as he will never retire or interview for other jobs. He'll never get rattled by the media during press conferences and never raises a fuss over what you want him to wear. He never yells at players, or whines about fans and officials. The internet "faithful" can hire and fire all his assistants through online polling without fear of coach/asst. loyalties getting in the way of "what the people want". Private plane for recruiting visits? Forget that, UPS can get the coach to all in home visits for a fraction of the cost. Think of all the bandwidth saved by the lack of forum posts decrying him or naming his replacement. Looks like a win if you can figure how to turn his salary back into an untaxed donation back to NU. Think about it Mr. Eichorst.

Jim McElwain from Colorado State looks really good. He was OC at Alabama and is now HC at Colorado State. He is doing a great job there and could be a good fit for Nebraska.

The coach we choose needs to fit our culture. Scott (Frost) might be a good OC but has no HC experience. I don't know if we could go through an unexperienced coach again.

I agree...I am not sure what kind of recruiter Jim is, but, they need to look for a guy that is in LOVE with recruiting, that is in love with the idea of selling Nebraska to kids.

Scott Frost won't come here to be an OC. Only a HC. He's got too good of a thing going at Oregon for a horizontal move.

he would come if he knew within 3 years he'd be HC

Why would Tressel come here if he knew within 3 years he wouldn't be HC?

Because Tressel would want to end up going somewhere else like OSU when Meyer leaves or he may just be okay with mentoring someone. I don't know. Maybe it's not only 3 years and we let him stay a while idc.

Doesn't any school that hires Tressel as a football coach have to have some sanctions dealing with Tattogate? Plus, why would he leave the job of being President, or whatever, of a school? Thats a cushy job for someone that old. I don't really see him going back into coaching ever.

Lots of potential candidates to talk to (in no particular order):

Jim McElwain

Doc Holliday

Willie Fritz

Scott Frost

Gary Patterson

Jim Tressel

Pat Narduzzi

Bronco Mendenhall

Kyle Whittingham

Mark Hudspeth

Kirby Smart

Narduzzi has always been one I've mentioned, but why higher another DC and try that experiment again?

How about Dan Mullen? Grew up in the Northeast, and of course has the Southern ties working at Florida and now at Miss. St. Heck Mississippi State was complete garbage before he took over.

Yeah sure we can totally get the head coach of an SEC west team that has been ranked #1 in the nation for most of the year.

Right.

How about Dan Mullen? Grew up in the Northeast, and of course has the Southern ties working at Florida and now at Miss. St. Heck Mississippi State was complete garbage before he took over.

Yeah sure we can totally get the head coach of an SEC west team that has been ranked #1 in the nation for most of the year.

Right.

I think we could. We could out pay the crap out of them and the appeal of Nebraska is still higher than a generally bottom tier sec team. I'd be hesitant of the hire thougb cause who knows if this is just a one year fluke or if they would stay contenders for a while.

OP's list is humorous. Perhaps people are forgetting that even 10 years ago, much closer to our glory days, we were being turned down left and right by any coaching candidates with a brain (what was Billy C, our 4th or 5th choice?), who saw the writing on the wall with our program.

OP mentions Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden. Harbaugh makes 5-6 million a year. If and when he decides to leave the 49ers, it will be for whatever top NFL job he wants, or going to his alma mater in Michigan if he decides to return to the college ranks. Jon Gruden simply turns down the top NFL job every year, and probably makes $5 million a year sitting around watching football. If/when he decides to return, again, it will be for a top NFL job.

We should BEG a guy on the level of Pat Narduzzi or Jim Tressel to come here. Those types of guys are our high end ceiling. A guy like Kirby Smart is not coming here. He has spent his entire life in the SEC. He will wait around for the best SEC job that he wants, and be handed that on a silver platter from anyone with a brain.