3 and 10, 2 and 11, 3 and 10, 4 and 9.....would you still be Red?

The Big 10 West will never be good enough to push Nebraska out of a bowl game twice in a row. A 5-7 season is the absolute bottom, but that is difficult.

The reality is this: Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois are bad teams and will likely be fringe bowl teams (at best) in a given decade. Iowa is always going to be slightly better, 7-5 or 9-3 on a good year, but an average team without athletes. We're currently watching the best Minnesota team in a very long time, but they're going to be a 7-5 type team most years with Kill as coach and usually worse when he's gone. Only on a truly terrible season can you lose 3 of those games.

That leaves Wisconsin and the crossovers. Im of the opinion that most coaches would win 7 or 8 games a season minimum. It just doesn't take much to beat most teams in the conference.

• Fire 1

What would happen if the sun exploded!? Would you still be a nebraska fan then!? Would you still cheer for the Huskers if a bear ripped your throat out of your body!?

If a bear ripped my throat out of my body, my last act would be to dip my fingers into my flowing blood and write "Go Big Red" and "Fire Pelini" on the ground. Anyone who wouldn't do the same is obviously not a true fan.

• Fire 5

I think its a good question, look at other schools, the ones that don't win as much, or have the fan base and tradition. Lets just look at the Big Ten

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Indiana

Those schools are usually pretty lame, do they get a huge tailgate crowd and are the bars packed, not really. Take a look at O street on gameday, the rail yard, take a look at the Omaha bars, they are packed. Now, I went out for the Minny game and the bars were slow to fill up and lets face it, over time, with crappy records, that is what you could expect.

I have friends that went to Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern...Never once did they bring up the football games and the partying that goes along with it.

I think its a good question, look at other schools, the ones that don't win as much, or have the fan base and tradition. Lets just look at the Big Ten

Purdue

Northwestern

Illinois

Indiana

Those schools are usually pretty lame, do they get a huge tailgate crowd and are the bars packed, not really. Take a look at O street on gameday, the rail yard, take a look at the Omaha bars, they are packed. Now, I went out for the Minny game and the bars were slow to fill up and lets face it, over time, with crappy records, that is what you could expect.

I have friends that went to Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern...Never once did they bring up the football games and the partying that goes along with it.

What?

Even old fools like me have come to the realization that change needs to happen, despite the 9 win seasons. We believe that Nebraska Football deserves better. We strongly believe that. We've come to let that belief lead us to the belief that a new coach will get us "back in the hunt" for championships. There is a very good chance that might happen.

What we seem to neglect, or ignore, is that things could also go south. Way south. And not for one or two years, but for 5 - 10 years and beyond.

I'd have started a poll, but I'm neither that patient nor clever.

If we change coaches, make a splash hire, get "top" coordinators, and just tank, how many fans will walk away?

What if we go 3/10, 2 / 11, 1/12, 4/9, 4/9, 5 / 8, 3 / 10? Which of you would still put out the flag, throw on the red shirt and be fanatical Husker football fans?

Looking at our schedule there is literally no way we finish below .500. However in your scenario it would have to depend on if we were still striving for excellence and not settling. When NU decides to start settling for mediocrity is the day I will stop caring. No one cheers for average

I would venture to say that few coaches can produce a worse product at Nebraska than this one we have.
I am ready for a change. However, I hope the AD doesn't have this attitude because the vast majority of football coaches in the world would probably do worse than the one we have.

Even old fools like me have come to the realization that change needs to happen, despite the 9 win seasons. We believe that Nebraska Football deserves better. We strongly believe that. We've come to let that belief lead us to the belief that a new coach will get us "back in the hunt" for championships. There is a very good chance that might happen.

What we seem to neglect, or ignore, is that things could also go south. Way south. And not for one or two years, but for 5 - 10 years and beyond.

If we change coaches, make a splash hire, get "top" coordinators, and just tank, how many fans will walk away?

What if we go 3/10, 2 / 11, 1/12, 4/9, 4/9, 5 / 8, 3 / 10? Which of you would still put out the flag, throw on the red shirt and be fanatical Husker football fans?

Really? You present a scenario that doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of ever happening. Why?

T_O_B

Looking at our schedule there is literally no way we finish below .500. However in your scenario it would have to depend on if we were still striving for excellence and not settling. When NU decides to start settling for mediocrity is the day I will stop caring. No one cheers for average

I would venture to say that few coaches can produce a worse product at Nebraska than this one we have.

The Huskers have had success for a long, long time. But take a look at the mid - late 50s....The Bill Jenning's years. We finished toward the bottom of the conference for 6 straight years, counting the one year Pete Elliot had before him. When I first started listening to the Huskers on the radio with my grandpa, Devaney had them turned around, but the measuring stick...or the "whew, we did it again" bar for success was still a winning season. Even the Bob Father went 6 - 4 a couple of years back to back.

So while it is unlikely we fall there again, it CAN happen.

I'll still be a koolaid drinking "next year is our year" hardcore fan till the day the folks in the home have to force feed me mush.

That pretty wells sums it up for the way I feel. {I don't like mush} lol

GBR!!! forever....

Really? You present a scenario that doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of ever happening. Why?

T_O_B

Please note, I did say "if", which is a hypothetical, meaning if is only a conjecture, not based in fact or analysis, but meant to spur discussion.

But take a look at the mid - late 1950s. We'd been a cream of the crop team for along time, then Pete Elliot and Bill Jennings happened. I'd say, even with the "if" qualifier, there is almost as much of a chance of that happening as us making the dream hire and being in the national playoffs 75% of the time and winning conference championships 75% of the time, as some on here seem to believe.