***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

every new coach wants to build his scheme right away and recruit and coach the current players to fit his system....that can cause some problems, until he gets the right personnel for his system.

every new coach wants to, every good coach has pause. you can't ask Dailey to throw the ball 35 times and be successful. i'm guessing we won't have a very clear picture of our offensive direction for a few years no matter who we bring in. After 7 we still didn't have it under Bo.

I always wondered if some of that was due to Pelini and some asst. coaches having different ideas/directions they wanted to go. I remember reading that Pelini wanted a run-based offense in years past, but, we also know Tim Beck's success was built on a heavy passing attack down in Kansas. He was often well known for throwing the football in situations where you wondered why in the heck they just weren't running the football.

In many ways, I think Pelini's desire to promote from within led to his undoing. I also think Tim Beck is going to walk out of here with a bad reputation, but not necessarily because he was a bad coach. I just think he was never able to run things quite the way he wanted to. Some of that was because of the type of players we recruited, and some of it may have been because of Pelini. I think Tim Beck would prefer more of a Joe Ganz/Zac Taylor at QB than he would a Taylor Martinez/Tommy Armstrong.

• Fire 1

I have the feeling he may bring a chunk of his Coordinators and Assistants with him. (Like I said, Starkville to Lincoln is a huge upgrade).

This is the single biggest factor in the hiring IMO. Looking at those resumes you see LSU, Florida, Alabama, Ole Miss, Utah, Auburn, Kentucky, Vanderbilt.

That is an SEC staff if I've ever seen one - and 3 or 4 have been recruiting coordinators in one or more of those locations.

I'm not a huge fan of Mullen - but as a whole package, with the staff - that's a pretty solid hire for SE. I'm beginning to come around to the idea.

Why do people automatically assume that Frost would keep the same offense if he came here?

This is what I'm wondering. It's not "his" offense, it's Oregon's. We don't know for sure what exactly a "Frost Offense" really is.

“I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.Zwo8CHlk.lQqWfvSL.dpbs

He'd need to be able to pull in the coordinators and assistants to do it, but maaaaaaaan. And, hey, he's still young enough that he could even suit up in practice to show 'em how it's done :D