***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

Why do people automatically assume that Frost would keep the same offense if he came here?

I'd like to think that a competent coach would be able to adjust their offensive style to the players that we have on the roster - something that hasn't been done very well during the last 7 years. I highly doubt in year 1, 2 or even 3 it would look much like Oregon's - though maybe that is the direction it transitions to.

Why do people automatically assume that Frost would keep the same offense if he came here?

This is what I'm wondering. It's not "his" offense, it's Oregon's. We don't know for sure what exactly a "Frost Offense" really is.

“I’ve actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now — we’re just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, I’d love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I don’t think that’s a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. That’s what Nebraska’s calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who could stop us.”

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.Zwo8CHlk.lQqWfvSL.dpbs

• Fire 3

This is what I'm wondering. It's not "his" offense, it's Oregon's. We don't know for sure what exactly a "Frost Offense" really is.

Ive actually been going to work trying to restudy what we used to do at Nebraska. . . . [W]hat we ran at Nebraska in a lot of ways is very similar to what Oregon runs right now were just out of the shotgun versus under center. But a lot of the concepts of the option game are the same. . . . I would love to see somebody go back to doing what Nebraska used to do. Maybe the Huskers are going to do that this year. Personally, Id love to someday mix a lot of the concepts that Oregon runs with some of the aspects Nebraska used to run. . . . The one thing I wish we could do at Oregon is be a little more physical. I dont think thats a secret. I think everybody on our staff wishes we could be a little more physical on offense. Thats what Nebraskas calling card was. If we could play fast and physical, I dont think theres anybody in the country who could stop us.

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.Zwo8CHlk.lQqWfvSL.dpbs

Good catch Q, I obviously dont pay ebough attention to Frost/Oregon.

I've only met Eichorst once, but I fully back the media's assessment that SE is a measured and calculated person. He comes across as someone who thinks five steps ahead of present moment. It would not surprise me one bit that SE has done a complete evaluation of the football program, starting at the end of the Iowa game last year. And, along with that evaluation, he has concluded whom he thinks is the right person to take Nebraska to the next level, while also curing the dysfuction that has plagued the football program. Who knows which coach he picked, and if that pick will be successful, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has had his mind made up for quite some time. I know alot of us are still scarred from the Pedersen/Callahan hiring debacle. Give this guy a chance, and appreciate that he wants Nebraska to be great again. There is no Plan B to worry about, because Plan A is a done deal.

I agree.

I don't understand why everyone is upset or scared of what Eichorst is doing. Before Bo was fired and he hadn't made any statements, there were people all pissed off at Eichorst before even seeing what he was going to do. Well.....he did what those people wanted ultimately.

Let's sit back and enjoy the excitement of who a new coach might be. Enjoy the process instead of jumping to conclusions and convince yourselves that you're already going to be disappointed and upset at who ever it is.

• Fire 1

I posted this in my status update, but guy that I teach with said that he has heard it's going to be David Shaw. He claims that it is from a very reliable source, but I just don't know what to believe right now.

If it is...we're in trouble. He's good for a blow out loss (3 of them since he's been there). Plus, here's his record at Standford:

2011 - 11-2

2012 - 12-2

2013 - 11-3

2014 - 7-5

That's the wrong direction folks...his fourth year in means he's getting HIS recruits in and that they're not doing well enough to compete. I'd have to say that if we get him we're sunk....it will be one of the worst hires ever.

teams do have down years. pac 12 is a much tougher conference. and he was able to beat ucla, so there's that.

I posted this in my status update, but guy that I teach with said that he has heard it's going to be David Shaw. He claims that it is from a very reliable source, but I just don't know what to believe right now.

If it is...we're in trouble. He's good for a blow out loss (3 of them since he's been there). Plus, here's his record at Standford:

2011 - 11-2

2012 - 12-2

2013 - 11-3

2014 - 7-5

That's the wrong direction folks...his fourth year in means he's getting HIS recruits in and that they're not doing well enough to compete. I'd have to say that if we get him we're sunk....it will be one of the worst hires ever.

We would give a left nut for half the recruits that Shaw has gotten. He has 3 5* players on the Oline that he recruited and one of them was thought to be a sure lock for us. The QB's play is why they are 7-5 right now.