Bret Bielema?!?!???!??!

knapplc

This can't be what we have waited for? I now know what is meant by big splash.... may have to go look at nude pics released yesterday of Madonna to continue what may be a very depressing day. I was saving my once a month glance for someone of higher caliber.

post-4581-0-90041600-1417637635_thumb.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, he's making almost $3 million per year, which we could easily do better than. The one thing you could easily sell him, too, is that even though recruiting would be more difficult, the path to the college football playoff wouldn't be. Arkansas is in the same division as Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Mississippi State. Here, however, he'd be given one goal in the division every year - beat Wisconsin.

Logistically, however, I believe Beliema does have a $12.8 million buyout, which is pretty hefty.

Bielema could have more money at Arkansas if he wanted. Among the chief reasons for leaving Wisconsin was the inability to keep good assistants due to Barry Alvarez not giving him him more "allowance" for assistants. Bielema forwent a chunk of his own salary to go to that fund. Also, Mississippi State's rise to power has been this year and this year only. Before this season, their last 10-win year was in 1999. I do believe Mullen has the program stabilized, but MSU is the worst team in the SEC West. Texas A&M is a much bigger threat with their resources and recruiting pool.

The buyout is kind of weird. I think if Nebraska took him today, they'd actually only have to pay three million, but I can't remember why that is exactly. Nebraska has enough money to make it all happen, but the question is why would Bret want to leave right at this moment? Maybe if he wins an SEC Championship he'll be apt to leave somewhere else, but this is just a REALLY awkward time to walk away from Arkansas. It'll look like he's failed massively when he really hasn't even gotten started yet.

• Fire 2

I quit. Screw this. Talk about an ultimate F you to the fans if this happens. How the hell are we supposed to be excited about this? The whole point of getting rid of Bo was to escape mediocrity and pursue everyone's aspirations of becoming nationally relevant again. He sure as hell isn't doing that at Arkansas! If this is true, seriously, screw you, Eichorst.

• Fire 2

Forget about his personality for a second. This would be a great hire for a number of reasons.

1. He's a damn good coach and he's proven that he can win in the Big Ten, and do it without elite recruits. He won 3 straight conference titles for a reason, beating Ohio State and their host of 5-stars on a routine basis.

2. His style of play is a perfect fit. Can you imagine how many yards Abdullah would've rushed for behind his offensive lines? My god. That would be tremendous.

3. Our woes against Wisconsin would almost surely end. We'd just be a better version of them.

4. He's only 44. Could stay for a while.

Look, I'm not a fan of the man, personally, but if he wins games, and wins championships, that's really all I care about.

• Fire 3

1620 is right

Why all a sudden is this coming out? it's been so damned tight lipped. Seems like a favor from Eich to Bret to get Bret a raise.

This is a quote from Bielema during an interview he did today talking about when he was in discussions for the Arkansas job.

I took this opportunity without anybody knowing about it or hearing about it. … I’m not one of those coaches that gets my name involved or anything like that. When I started talking to Arkansas, I told them, ‘If my name comes out in a way other than my own release, then I’m going to be out of this conversation.' It’s just how I’ve always operated.

It could be tight lipped because that is how Bielema rolls.