Mike Riley's Staff

Why wouldn't Orgeron just call Riley and tell him he's interested? They did coach together at USC and Riley says they have a good relationship. I don't get why he would let the media know first. Seems odd or maybe they have talked.

That's a good point. Orgeron may just be trying to get his own name out there and drumming up some interest from other schools.

He'll probably keep most of his staff from OSU.

He's a small town down home loyal guy.

This is how it works in CFB...a HC gets his "guys" who follow him and then the HC feels the need to reward their loyalty.

If there is any truth to the rumors that Eichorst told Bo to can his staff or walk, then I think it's quite likely the Nebraska job came with the caveat that Reilly would not just shoehorn his buddies in at Nebraska, but would instead scour the country for the very best we can get. Everybody seems to agree that this hire has the potential to go from "meh" to "sweet!" if and only if Reilly brings top assistants in to help him run the day to day. Everything Reilly has said suggests he understands that responsibility.

This is how it works in CFB...a HC gets his "guys" who follow him and then the HC feels the need to reward their loyalty.

I'm sorry...if that's what happens then I'll be very disappointed. We just fired a guy and the root cause for many is that he hired on his boys and was loyal to a fault. Eichorst is speaking as if the real coup here is the ability to put together a "top notch" staff.....which leads me to believe the assistant salary pool is substantial and probably was a selling point to Riley to get him here.

"That has to do with discipline, that has to do with growth, that has to do with a real vision for helping these young men in all the ways.” -Mike Riley on the qualities he's looking for in his staff.

Seems to be directly addressing issues with Bo's teams to date:

Discipline - among the most penalized and turnover prone teams in the nation annually

Growth - lack of player development (Taylor Martinez was arguably a better quarterback as a freshman than he was as a senior)

Vision - lack of any clear identity on offense. Constantly outschemed on defense.

That might be a little unfair to Pelini, as I remember he said in his first press conference when asked about what kind of people he wanted on his staff..he said 'teachers and communicators', and it really appeared that with Carl and Marvin especially...he had that. The defense he put together in 09 and 10 were very disciplined, very stingy units. I think the dilution started when he promoted Papuchis and Beck.

Why wouldn't Orgeron just call Riley and tell him he's interested? They did coach together at USC and Riley says they have a good relationship. I don't get why he would let the media know first. Seems odd or maybe they have talked.

Can't act too desperate, my man. Oregeron asked a pointed question says, "Haven't heard from him, but that sounds like it would be fun." It's a way of putting it out there without looking desperate. These are men's men we're dealing with, after all.

Who says that he hasn't done that. They aren't going to tell us.

If there is any truth to the rumors that Eichorst told Bo to can his staff or walk, then I think it's quite likely the Nebraska job came with the caveat that Reilly would not just shoehorn his buddies in at Nebraska, but would instead scour the country for the very best we can get. Everybody seems to agree that this hire has the potential to go from "meh" to "sweet!" if and only if Reilly brings top assistants in to help him run the day to day. Everything Reilly has said suggests he understands that responsibility.

I don't think it would have been a "this is our guy" interview if Riley's answer to questions about staff choices was: "Well . . . I plan on working with the people I've always worked with because that's the way I've always done it."

Staff is the key here. He's got a chance to do things he could have never done at Oregon State. Seize this opportunity.

• Fire 1

Seems to be directly addressing issues with Bo's teams to date:

Discipline - among the most penalized and turnover prone teams in the nation annually

Growth - lack of player development (Taylor Martinez was arguably a better quarterback as a freshman than he was as a senior)

Vision - lack of any clear identity on offense. Constantly outschemed on defense.

Oregon State has been one of the most penalized teams in the nation over the years....they are last in the Pac-12 this year in penalties per game.

Id like to think he knows his limitations. He needs to surround himself with top minds and that means he has to leave some people behind. If he brings most of his staff over ill be way pissed. Its no different then bo promoting his buddies. And i can already tell you, the nice guy thing is starting to get somewhat stale. The thats neat, and golly gee stuff doesnt work here when you want to win.

• Fire 2

I would say MR is very loyal, however i have to think he believes this may be his best shot at a NC before he retires. I could see him trying to get the best coaches and recruiters out there for one last ride to get that NC. I would think his OSU staff would understand in the end.

I really hope Nebraska doesn't just poach OSU's entire staff, I live in pac12 country and OSU has been down for years. Obviously it will be easier to win at Nebraska with the talent and resources available at Nebraska but his coaching staff got beat by two big sky conference teams recently. Not saying they're bad coaches but it's obvious that upgrades could be made to that staff. If money isn't an issue and Eichorst truly wants to return Nebraska to greatness he'll need a better group of coaches.