Mike Riley's Staff

I don't think I will ever understand why Coach O wasn't contacted, the guy wanted to be here... there is still time, hopefully Coach Mike will reach out to him.

I think I'd let that ship sail. Not only is it very unlikely to happen, from the reports I think there may be good reason to not go that route. And the two are likely related.

Oh, haven't heard much on the reports. Link? Or was it mentioned earlier in this thread?

I'm sure there are places that have the rumors out there. That's all they are - rumors. But let's just say his methods have been questioned.

fwiw, I saw a tweet earlier today from a guy at 247 talking about a coaches crystal ball, similar to their recruiting one, that they were testing out. He posted a screencap of it and they had a prediction for Banker and Orgeron to Nebraska. I will see if I can find it again. Again, fwiw.

https://twitter.com/NoahStanley247/status/541259317199257600

I have no idea what some of you were expecting to see. It is a very rare event that a coach is hired and does not bring some of his assistants, particularly when you are poaching a head coach. In fact you should probably take it as a giant warning sign if a head coach moves and does not bring any assistants. And thus far, I would say that all the assistants he is bringing are upgrades over who we have now in positions, judging by what I'm reading. They all sound like they are very good at their jobs, and have done quite a bit with very little. I would not expect to see the whole staff from OSU move, and it certainly did not sound like that was going to be the case from the presser. People need to calm the F down.

• Fire 4

Also for the posters who keep saying very little talent at OSU. They've had more talent then Nebraska. They've played in a BCS bowl In last decade. They beat both UCLA and Winny in 2012. We lost both those games. Oregon State is not the arm pit all you trying to claim to justify this hire and believe.

Check their past 5 recruiting classes, Nebraska has far more 4+ star players. The difference is that they can teach & make their kids better.
What if the new staff can't get those high 3 and 4 star guys to come here?

We may have a few more wins the next few years and a 2007like fall off.

All signs point to the OSU staff being fantastic recruiters, I have no doubt they'll be able to pull at least the same caliber talent as Pelini & co.
Sounds like another staff we had here.

As a matter of fact, Banker being "well traveled " reminds me off a former secondary coach we had.

It's hard to explain anything to the ignorance!
Ah hem, Bill's staff was supposed great recruiters. Elmo was well traveled.

It didn't make them successful.

OSUs staff hasn't yet recruited to the level of Bo's staff.

Please explain my ignorance.

Ummm Bos staff hadn't recruited to the level they did until they got to NU. Practically his entire staff came from mid majors because he didn't want anyone to challenge him and his process

I have no idea what some of you were expecting to see. It is a very rare event that a coach is hired and does not bring some of his assistants, particularly when you are poaching a head coach. In fact you should probably take it as a giant warning sign if a head coach moves and does not bring any assistants. And thus far, I would say that all the assistants he is bringing are upgrades over who we have now in positions, judging by what I'm reading. They all sound like they are very good at their jobs, and have done quite a bit with very little. I would not expect to see the whole staff from OSU move, and it certainly did not sound like that was going to be the case from the presser. People need to calm the F down.

Exactly what this guy said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would like to point out that Jerry Kill has moved his entire staff to Minnesota when he got hired. And people commend him for it. And lots of people wanted him on our radar. What do you think would have happened if he got hired here?

Give Riley some time. The guy is still living out of a suitcase and we are questioning everything about him.

• Fire 1

Whoever he hires do you think they could contact the current recruits before stealing others? With this small a class you'd think that would be a top priority. A ten minute phone call would do just to put their minds at ease.

Riley's probably trying to nail down his staff before contacting recruits so he'll have answers when they ask who their position coaches will be.

Maybe he should contact them and say as much to them, that way they don't feel like they are being left hanging.

• Fire 1

I don't understand a lot of the consternation in this thread. OF COURSE Riley is going to bring in at least a few of his assistants. So far I counted four, and all but one of them are only rumored. If I remember right, NCAA rules allow 9 assistant coaches in addition to Riley. How is bringing four of your guys and going outside for the rest "bringing his entire staff"? Looks to me like he's bringing half his staff––at most.

• Fire 2